- Volume 16 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Physicochemical Characteristics of Kohlrabi Slices Dehydrated by the Addition of Maltodextrin
- Wang, Shu-Mei (Department of Food Science & Technology, Chungnam National University) ;
- Yu, Dong-Jin (Department of Food Science & Technology, Chungnam National University) ;
- Song, Kyung-Bin (Department of Food Science & Technology, Chungnam National University)
- Received : 2011.03.28
- Accepted : 2011.05.21
- Published : 2011.06.30
Kohlrabi (Brassica oleracea var. gongylodes L.) slices were dehydrated with maltodextrin (MD) at concentrations of 20, 30, and 40% (w/w), and the dried samples were compared with the freeze-dried and hot-air dried samples regarding various physicochemical qualities. The MD-treated samples had better results than those of freeze-dried or hot-air dried samples in terms of rehydration ratio and color. The total phenolic content of the MD-treated sample was similar to that of the freeze-dried and higher than that of hot-air dried sample. The ascorbic acid content of the MD-treated samples was also higher than that of the hot-air dried one. These results suggest that kohlrabi can be dehydrated with MD instead of hot air.
- Francisco M, Velasco P, Moreno DA, Garcia-Viguera C, Cartea ME. 2010. Cooking methods of Brassica rapa affect the preservation of glucosinolates, phenolics and vitamin C. Food Res Int 43: 1455-1463. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodres.2010.04.024
- Martinez-Sanchez A, Gil-Izquierdo A, Gil MI, Ferreres F. 2008. A comparative study of flavonoid compounds, vitamin C, and antioxidant properties of baby leaf Brassicaceae species. J Agric Food Chem 56: 2330-2340. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf072975+
- Choi SH, Ryu DK, Park SY, Ahn KG, Lim YP, An GH. 2010. Composition analysis between kohlrabi (Brassica oleracea var. gongylodes) and radish (Raphanus sativus). Korean J Hort Sci Technol 28: 469-475.
- Escalona VH, Aguayo E, Artes F. 2006. Metabolic activity and quality changes of whole and fresh-cut kohlrabi (Brassica oleracea L. gongylodes group) stored under controlled atmospheres. Postharvest Biol Technol 41: 181-190. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.postharvbio.2006.04.001
- Escalona VH, Aguayo E, Arte's F. 2007. Extending the shelf life of kohlrabi stems by modified atmosphere packaging. J Food Sci 72: 308-313.
- Kim MH, Kim KS, Song YB, Seo WJ, Song KB. 2009. Characteristics of apple, persimmon, and strawberry slices dried with maltodextrin. J Food Sci Nutr 14: 367-372. https://doi.org/10.3746/jfn.2009.14.4.367
- Kim MH, Kim MK, Yu MS, Song YB, Seo WJ, Song KB. 2009. Dehydration of sliced ginger using maltodextrin and comparison with hot-air dried and freeze-dried ginger. Korean J Food Sci Technol 41: 146-150.
- Kim MK, Kim MH, Yu MS, Song YB, Seo WJ, Song KB. 2009. Dehydration of carrot slice using polyethylene glycol and maltodextrin and comparison with other drying methods. Korean J Food Sci Nutr 38: 111-115. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2009.38.1.111
- AOAC. 1990. Official methods of analysis. 16th ed. Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Washington, DC, USA. p 930.04.
- Rumbaoa RGO, Cornago DF, Geronimo IM. 2009. Phenolic content and antioxidant capacity of Philippine potato (Solanum tuberosum) tubers. J Food Comp Anal 22: 546-550. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfca.2008.11.004
- Ispir A, Togrul IT. 2009. Osmotic dehydration of apricot: Kinetics and the effect of process parameters. Chem Eng Res Design 87: 166-180. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cherd.2008.07.011
- Lombard GE, Oliveira JC, Fito P, Andres A. 2008. Osmotic dehydration of pineapple as a pre-treatment for further drying. J Food Eng 85: 277-284. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfoodeng.2007.07.009
- Severini C, Baiano A, Pilli TD, Carbone BF, Derossi A. 2005. Combined treatments of blanching and dehydration: study on potato cubes. J Food Eng 68: 289-296. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfoodeng.2004.05.045
- Ratti C. 2001. Hot air and freeze-drying of high-value foods: a review. J Food Eng 49: 311-319. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0260-8774(00)00228-4
- Moreira R, Chenlo F, Chaguri L, Fernandes C. 2008. Water absorption, texture, and color kinetics of air-dried chestnuts during rehydration. J Food Eng 86: 584-594. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfoodeng.2007.11.012
- Singh J, Upadhyay AK, Prasad K, Bahadur A, Rai M. 2007. Variability of carotenes, vitamin C, E and phenolics in Brassica vegetables. J Food Comp Anal 20: 106-112. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfca.2006.08.002
- Lin LZ, Harnly JM. 2009. Identification of the phenolic components of collard greens, kale, and Chinese broccoli. J Agric Food Chem 57: 7401-7408. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf901121v
- Gratacos-Cubarsi M, Ribas-Agusti A, Garcia-Regueiro JA, Castellari M. 2010. Simultaneous evaluation of intact glucosinolates and phenolic compounds by UPLC-DAD-MS/MS in Brassica oleracea L. var. botrytis. Food Chem 121: 257-263. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2009.11.081
- Ferreres F, Sousa C, Valentão P, Ferreres F, Pereira JA, Seabra RM, Andrade PB. 2007. Tronchuda cabbage (Brassica oleracea L. var. costata DC) seeds: Phytochemical characterization and antioxidant potential. Food Chem 101: 549-558. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2006.02.013
- Podsedek A. 2007. Natural antioxidants and antioxidant capacity of Brassica vegetables: a review. LWT-Food Sci Technol 40: 1-11. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lwt.2005.07.023
- Cruz RMS, Vieira MC, Silva CLM. 2008. Effect of heat and thermosonication treatments on watercress (Nasturtium officinale) vitamin C degradation kinetics. Innov Food Sci Emerg Technol 9: 483-488. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ifset.2007.10.005
- Du JH, Fu YH, Wang NY. 2009. Effects of aqueous chlorine dioxide treatment on browning of fresh-cut lotus root. LWT-Food Sci Technol 42: 654-659. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lwt.2008.08.007
- Krokida MK, Karathanos VT, Maroulis ZB. 1998. Effect of freeze-drying conditions on shrinkage and porosity of dehydrated agricultural products. J Food Eng 35: 369-380. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0260-8774(98)00031-4
- Vega-Galvez A, Scala KD, Rodriguez K, Lemus-Mondaca R, Miranda M, López J, Perez-Won M. 2009. Effect of air-drying temperature on physico-chemical properties, antioxidant capacity, colour and total phenolic content of red pepper (Capsicum annuum, L. var. Hungarian). Food Chem 117: 647-653. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2009.04.066
- Dehydration of Omija (Schisandra chinensis B.) using Red Algae Extract as a Hypertonic Agent vol.20, pp.2, 2013, https://doi.org/10.11002/kjfp.2013.20.2.284
- Physicochemical properties of paprika (Capsicum annuum L.) dehydrated with red algae extract vol.21, pp.1, 2012, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10068-012-0018-0