- Volume 16 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Effects of Various Salts on the Reheating Behavior of Retrograded Rice Starch and Cooked Rice
- Han, Sung-Hee (Institute of Life Science and Natural Resources) ;
- Kim, Bo-Reum (Department of Food Science, College of Life Sciences and Biotechnology, Korea University) ;
- Lee, Seog-Won (Department of Food & Nutrition, Yuhan University) ;
- Rhee, Chul (Division of Food Bioscience and Technology, College of Life Sciences and Biotechnology, Korea University)
- Received : 2011.03.11
- Accepted : 2011.04.08
- Published : 2011.06.30
The influence of sodium salts and chlorides at various concentrations (0.05, 0.10, 0.50, and 1.00%) on the reheating behavior of retrograded rice starch and cooked rice was investigated. The degree of gelatinization of the all retrograded rice starch gels and the cooked rice containing sodium salts and chlorides increased after reheating compared to the starches without salt. Gelatinization also showed an increasing trend as the concentration of sodium salts and chlorides increased. The increase of gelatinization after reheating the samples containing sodium salts and chlorides was greater than 38.0%. The reheated retrograded rice starch and cooked rice containing
- Stauffer CE. 2000. Emulsifiers as antistaling agents. Cereal Foods World 45: 106-110.
- Thygesen LG, Blennow A, Engelsen SB. 2003. The effects of amylose and starch phosphate on starch gel retrogradation studied by low-field 1H NMR relaxometry. Starch/Starke 55: 241-249.
- Damodaran S, Parkind KL, Fennema OR. 2007. Fennema's food chemistry. 4th ed. CRC Press Taylor & Francis Group, Boca Raton, FL, USA. p 112.
- Ciacco CF, Fernandes JLA. 1979. Effect of various ions on the kinetics of retrogradation of concentrated wheat starch gels. Starch/Starke 31: 51-53. https://doi.org/10.1002/star.19790310205
- Chang S, Liu L. 1991. Retrogradation of rice starches studied by differential scanning calorimetry and influence of sugars, NaCl and lipids. J Food Sci 56: 564-566. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1991.tb05325.x
- Kum JS, Lee CH, Lee HY. 1996. Effect of microwave reheating on quality of aseptic-packed cooked rice. Korean J Food Sci Technol 25: 528-537.
- Hikon YH. 2000. Pasting properties of various retrograded starch isolated with ethanol. Starch/Starke 52: 106-111. https://doi.org/10.1002/1521-379X(200006)52:4<106::AID-STAR106>3.0.CO;2-C
- Cater JB. 1996. Thicken foodstuff having improved storage stability and process of making. US Patent 5538751.
- Lee SW, Han SH, Rhee C. 2002. Effects of salts and emulsifiers on retrogradation rate of rice starch gel. Food Sci Biotechnol 11: 48-54.
- Longton J, Legrys GA. 1981. Differential scanning calorimetry studies on the crystallinity of ageing wheat starch gels. Starch/Starke 33: 410-414. https://doi.org/10.1002/star.19810331204
- Lee SW, Lee JH, Han SH, Lee JW, Rhee C. 2005. Effect of various processing methods on the physical properties of cooked rice and on in vitro starch hydrolysis and blood glucose response in rats. Starch/Starke 57: 531-539. https://doi.org/10.1002/star.200400371
- Lianf X, Ling JM. 2003. Pasting and crystalline property difference of commercial and isolated rice starch with added amino acids. J Food Sci 68: 832-838. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.2003.tb08251.x
- Baker LA, Rayyas-Duarte R. 1998. Retrogradation of amaranth starch at different storage temperatures and the effects of salt and sugars. Cereal Chem 75: 308-314. https://doi.org/10.1094/CCHEM.1918.104.22.1688
- Kim LH, Kim SK. 1984. Effect of phosphates on firming rate of cooked rice. J Food Sci 49: 660-661. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1984.tb12497.x
- Fredriksson H, Silverio J, Andersson R, Elassion AC. 1998. The influence of amylose and amylopectin charateristics on gelatinization and retrogradation properties of different starches. Carbohdr Polym 35: 119-134. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0144-8617(97)00247-6
- Ostin BJ. 1983. Explanations for phenomena arising from starch-electrolytes interactions. Starch/Starke 35: 166-169. https://doi.org/10.1002/star.19830350506
- Osten BJ. 1982. Tentative hypothesis to explain how electrolytes affect the gelatinization temperature of starches in water. Starch/Starke 34: 233-239. https://doi.org/10.1002/star.19820340706
- Gough BM, Pybus JN. 1973. Effect of metal cations on the swelling and gelatinization behavior of large wheat starch granules. Starch/Starke 45: 123-130.
- Jane JL. 1993. Mechanism of starch gelatinization in neutral salt solutions. Starch/Starke 45: 161-166. https://doi.org/10.1002/star.19930450502
- Robert EW, Sukumar M, William MD. 1987. Factors affecting release of butyrate from calcium ion-modified starch-borate matrices. J Controlled Release 5: 79-89. https://doi.org/10.1016/0168-3659(87)90040-X