- Volume 16 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Antioxidant Activities of Steamed Extract from Squid (Todarodes pacificus) Muscle
- Lee, Woo-Shin (Department of Marine Biotechnology, Gangneung-Wonju National University) ;
- Kim, Yong-Tae (Department of Food Science and Biotechnology, Kunsan National University) ;
- Byun, Hee-Guk (Department of Marine Biotechnology, Gangneung-Wonju National University)
- Received : 2011.04.12
- Accepted : 2011.05.27
- Published : 2011.06.30
The purpose of this study was to purify antioxidant substances from steamed squid extract (SSE). The yield of SSE was 8% by dry weight. The approximate compositions of SSE proteins, lipids, moisture, carbohydrate and ash were 64.95%, 1.69%, 7.23%, 4.44% and 21.69%, respectively. The major amino acids in SSE were taurine (29.17%), glycine (20.33%), alanine (12.51%), and glutamic acid (9.83%). Antioxidant activities were evaluated using 1,1-diphenyl-2-picryl-hydrazyl (DPPH) radical scavenging activity, which was measured as 24.7% at 1.0 mg/mL. Four SSE fractions were isolated by Sephadex G-25 gel chromatography; the F2 fraction showed the highest DPPH radical scavenging activity. The F2 fraction was separated by reverse-phase high performance liquid chromatography (HPLC) using an octadecylsilane (ODS) column, yielding a purified antioxidant substance with a DPPH radical scavenging activity of 64.41% at 1.0 mg/mL, representing a 2.64-fold increase in the scavenging activity of SSE purified by the 3-step procedure. The amino acid compositions showed that purified SSE was rich in taurine, glycine, glutamic acid and alanine. The purified SSE significantly elevated 2',7'-dichlorodihydrofluororescein diacetate (DCFH-DA) fluorescence probe, which confirms its effective radical scavenging potential in cellular ROS. In addition, the SSE significantly inhibited oxidative damage of purified genomic DNA. These results suggest that a purified antioxidant substance from SSE can be used as a potential natural compound-based antioxidant in the functional food and pharmaceutical industries.
- Je JY, Park PJ, Kim SK. 2004. Free radical scavenging properties of hetero-chitooligosaccharides using an ESR spectroscopy. Food Chem Toxicol 42: 381-387. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fct.2003.10.001
- Calabrese V, Lodi R, Tonon C, D'Agata V, Sapienza M, Scapagnini G, Mangiameli A, Pennisi G, Stella G, Butterfield A. 2005. Oxidative stress, mitochondrial dysfunction and cellular stress response in Friedrich's ataxia. J Neurolo Sci 233: 145-162. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jns.2005.03.012
- Chow CK. 1988. Interrelationships of cellular antioxidant defense systems. In Cellular Antioxidant Defense Mechanisms. CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL, USA. Vol II, p 217-237.
- Halliwell B, Whiteman M. 2004. Measuring reactive species and oxidative damage in vivo and in cell culture: how should you do it and what do the results mean. Brit J Pharmacol 142: 231-255. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.bjp.0705776
- Kristinsson HG, Rasco BA. 2002. Fish protein hydrolysates and their potential use in the food industry. Recent Adv Mar Biotechnol 7: 157-181.
- Nagai T, Suzuki N. 2000. Isolation of collagen from fish waste material-skin, bone and fins. Food Chem 68: 277-281. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0308-8146(99)00188-0
- Jeon YJ, Byun HG, Kim SK. 1999. Improvement of functional properties of cod frame protein hydrolysates using ultrafiltration membranes. Process Biochem 35: 471-478. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0032-9592(99)00098-9
- Je JY, Lee KH, Lee MH, Ahn CB. 2009. Antioxidant and antihypertensive protein hydrolysates produced from tuna liver by enzymatic hydrolysis. Food Res Int 42: 1266-1272. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodres.2009.06.013
- Batista I, Ramos C, Coutinho J, Bandarra NM, Nunes ML. 2010. Characterization of protein hydrolysates and lipids obtained from black scabbardfish (Aphanopus carbo) by-products and antioxidative activity of the hydrolysates produced. Process Biochem 45: 18-24. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.procbio.2009.07.019
- Wang SL, Lin CL, Liang TW, Liu KC, Kuo YH. 2009. Conversion of squid pen by Serratia ureilytica for the production of enzymes and antioxidants. Bioresource Technol 100: 316-323. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biortech.2008.06.026
- Gimenez B, Gomez-Estaca J, Aleman A, Gomez-Guillén MC. 2009. Montero improvement of the antioxidant properties of squid skin gelatin films by the addition of hydrolysates from squid gelatin. Food Hydrocol 23: 1322-1327. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodhyd.2008.09.010
- Rajapakse N, Mendis E, Byun HG, Kim SK. 2005. Purification and in vitro antioxidative effects of giant squid muscle peptides on free radical-mediated oxidative systems. J Nutr Biochem 6: 562-569.
- AOAC. 1997. Official methods of analysis. 16th ed. Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Arlington, VA, USA. Vol II, Section 45.4.07, Method 985.29.
- Yen GC, Hsieh PP. 1995. Antioxidative activity and scavenging effects on active oxygen of xylose-lysine Maillard reaction products. J Sci Food Agric 67: 415-420. https://doi.org/10.1002/jsfa.2740670320
- Hansen M, Nielsen S, Berg K. 1987. Re-examination and further development of a precise and rapid dye method for measuring cell growth/cell kill. J Immunol Methods 119: 203-210.
Yeung SY, Lan WH, Huang CS, Lin CP, Chan CP, Chang MC, Jeng LY. 2002. Scavenging property of three cresol isomers against
$H_2O_2$, hypochlorite, superoxide and hydroxyl radicals. Food Chem Toxicol 40: 1403-1413. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0278-6915(02)00102-3
- Hossain A, Alikhan A, Ishihara T, Hara T, Osatomi T, Osaka K, Naza Y. 2004. Effect of proteolytic squid protein hydrolysate on the state of water and denaturation of lizardfish (Saurida wanieso) myofibrillar protein during freezing. Innov Food Sci Emerg 5: 73-79. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ifset.2003.10.005
- Yamaguch K. 1985. Bioactivity of sulfur containing amino acids. Food Chem 7: 56-63.
- Lee YG, Koo JG, Kim DS, Kim YM. 1992. The isoation of taurine from the oyster shucking juice using ion exchange coumn chromatography. Kor J Food Sci Technol 24: 616-618.
- Devi SL, Viswanathan P, Anuradha CV. 2010. Regression of liver fibrosis by taurine in rats fed alcohol: Effects on collagen accumulation, selected cytokines and stellate cell activation. Eur J Pharmacol 647: 161-170. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejphar.2010.08.011
- Balkan J, Dogru-Abbasoglu S, Kanbagli O, Cevikbas U, Aykac-Toker G, Uysal M. 2001. Taurine has a protective effect against thioacetamide-induced liver cirrhosis by decreasing oxidative stress. Hum Exp Toxicol 20: 251-254. https://doi.org/10.1191/096032701678227758
- Shimoji Y, Tamura Y, Nakamura Y, Nanda K, Nishidai S, Nishikawa Y. 2002. Isolation and identification of DPPH radical scavenging compounds in kurosu (Japanese unpolished rice vinegar). Food Chem 50: 6501-6503. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf020458f
- Sakanaka S, Tachibana Y. 2006. Active oxygen scavenging activity of egg-yolk protein hydrolysates and their effects on lipid oxidation in beef and tuna homogenates. Food Chem 95: 243-249. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2004.11.056
- Nam KA, You SG, Kim SM. 2008. Molecular and physical characteristics of squid (Todarodes pacificus) skin collagens and biological properties of their enzymatic hydrolysates. J Food Sci 73: 249-255. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1750-3841.2008.00722.x
- Lin L, Li B. 2006. Radical scavenging properties of protein hydrolysates from jumbo flying squid (Dosidicus eschrichitii Steenstrup) skin gelatin. J Sci Food Agric 86: 2290-2295. https://doi.org/10.1002/jsfa.2600
- Jao CL, Ko WC. 2002. 1,1-Diphenyl-2-picrylhydrazyl (DPPH) radical scavenging by protein hydrolyzates from tuna cooking juice. Fish Sci 68: 430-435. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1444-2906.2002.00442.x
- Pihlanto-Leppala A. 2000. Bioactive peptides derived from bovine whey proteins: Opioid and ace-inhibitory. Trends Food Sci Tech 11: 347-356. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0924-2244(01)00003-6
- Gurer H, Ozgünes H, Saygin E, Ercal N. 2001. Antioxidant effect of taurine against lead-induced oxidative stress. Arch Environl Con Tox 4: 397-402.
- Sinha M, Manna P, Sil PC. 2008. Taurine protects the antioxidant defense system in the erythrocytes of cadmium treated mice. Bmb Rep 9: 657-663.
- Zhang M, Izumi I, Kagamimori S, Sokejima S, Yamagami T, Liu Z, Qi B. 2004. Role of taurine supplementation to prevent exercise-induced oxidative stress in healthy young men. Amino Acids 2: 203-207.
- Martinez GR, Loureiro AP, Marques SA, Miyamoto S, Yamaguchi LF, Onuki J. 2003. Oxidative and alkylating damage in DNA. Mutat Res 554: 115-127.
- You HJ, Oh DH, Choi CY, Lee DG, Hahm KS, Moon AR. 2002. Protective effect of metallothionein-III on DNA damage in response to reactive oxygen species. Biochim Biophys Acta 1573: 33-38. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0304-4165(02)00325-2
- Chen X, Zhong Z, Xu Z, Chen L, Wang Y. 2010. 2,7-Dichlorodihydro-fluorescein as a fluorescent probe for reactive oxygen species measurement: forty years of application and controversy. Free Radical Res 44: 587-604. https://doi.org/10.3109/10715761003709802