- Volume 16 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Diet and Lifestyle Factors Affecting Obesity: A Korea National Health and Nutrition Survey Analysis
- Kwock, Chang-Keun (Korea Food Research Institute) ;
- Lee, Jung-Min (Korea Food Research Institute) ;
- Kim, Eun-Mi (Korea Food Research Institute) ;
- Lee, Min-A (Korea Food Research Institute)
- Received : 2011.02.09
- Accepted : 2011.06.14
- Published : 2011.06.30
This study investigated potential causes of obesity by examining diet and lifestyle factors. The data from the 2008 Korea National Health and Nutrition Survey were statistically analyzed to determine the relative importance of causes of obesity. Because the factors affecting obesity for males and females were significantly different, binary choice logistic models of the male and female subjects were built and estimated separately. Our results show that stress, the irregularity of eating breakfast, and frequency of eating out had the three greatest impacts on male obesity, respectively, and stress, employment status, and age had the greatest impacts on female obesity, in that order.
- National Health Insurance Cooperation. Report Submitted to National Assembly. Available from: http://hi.nhic.or.kr/wbj/ data_view_news.jsp?cat_id=news_1 &req Page Cnt=1&art_ id=1445693. Accessed 12 April 2010.
- Center for Disease Control, Ministry of Health, Welfare, and Family. National Health Statistics 2008. Available from: http://knhanes.cdc.go.kr. Accessed 12 April 2010.
- Franco S, Devaux M, Cecchini M, Rusticelli E. 2009. The Obesity Epidemic: Analysis of Past and Projected Future Trend in Selected OECD Countries. NO. 45 OECD Health Working Papers. Accessed 12 April 2010.
- Shin NY. 2006. The relationship between self-respect and depression due to childhood obesity. MS Thesis. Seoul National University, Seoul, Korea.
- Cawley J, Joyner K, Sobal J. 2006. Size matters: The influence of adolescents' weight and height on dating and sex. Rationality and Society 18: 67-94. https://doi.org/10.1177/1043463106060153
- Cawley J. 2004. The impact of obesity on wages. Journal of Human Resources 39: 451-474. https://doi.org/10.2307/3559022
- Colman R. 2001. Cost of obesity. In British Columbia. GPI Atlantic, Glen Haven, NS, Canada. p 1-55.
- Kim JH, Sakong J. 2007. Life style and perception of obesity of male white collar workers. Youngnam Univ J Med 24: 287-295. https://doi.org/10.12701/yujm.2007.24.2.287
- Kim YK, Ko YS. 2007. Lifestyle factors affecting adult female obesity. Sookmyung Women's University, Studies on Human Ecology 24: 99-114.
- Ahn BM, Park ES. 2009. Perception of body weight control, life style, and dietary habit according to the obesity index (OI) of female college student. Korean J Human Ecology 18: 167-177. https://doi.org/10.5934/KJHE.2009.18.1.167
- Cutler DM, Glaeser EL, Shapiro JM. 2003. Why have Americans become more obese? J Econ Perspective 17: 93-118. https://doi.org/10.1257/089533003769204371
- Suh Y, Kang J, Kim H, Chung Y. 2010. Comparison of nutritional status of the Daejeon metropolitan citizens by frequency of eating out. Korean J Nutr 43: 171-180. https://doi.org/10.4163/kjn.2010.43.2.171
- Chosun Daily. 2010. Probability of being obese of drinking my husband. Available from: http://www.chosun. com. Accessed 9 April 2010.
- Cawley J, Markowitz S, Tauras J. 2004. Lighting up and slimming down: The effects of body weight and cigarette prices on adolescent smoking initiation. Journal of Health Economics 23: 293-311. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhealeco.2003.12.003
- Lang S. 1997. Cornell studies examine how weight relates to dating and marriage. Cornell Chronicle 28 http://www.news.cornell.edu/chronicle/97/4.10.97/weightmarriage.html. Accessed 9 April 2010.
- Kim BY, Khang MW, Jang HW. 2009. Principal components logistic regression based on robust estimations. Korean J Applied Statistics 22: 531-539. https://doi.org/10.5351/KJAS.2009.22.3.531
- Lakdawalla D, Philipson T. 2002. The growth of obesity and technological change: a theoretical and empirical examination. Working Paper 8946, National Bureau of Economic Research. http://www.nber.org/papers/w8946. Accessed 9 April, 2010.