- Volume 39 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Analysis of Environmental Correlates with Walking among Older Urban Adults
도시 노인들의 걷기활동 참여에 영향을 주는 물리적 환경요인 분석
- Lee, Hyung-Sook (Dept. of Landscape Architecture, Kyungwon University) ;
- Ahn, Joon-Suk (Dept. of Architecture, Kyonggi University) ;
- Chun, Seung-Hoon (Dept. of Landscape Architecture, Kyungwon University)
- Received : 2011.03.09
- Accepted : 2011.04.26
- Published : 2011.04.30
Since walking and physical activity are critical for older adults to maintain their health, it is important to provide neighborhood environments which encourage their walking in daily life. The purposes of the present study were to investigate walking activity patterns of older people in an urban setting and to identify environmental correlates with walking of older adults. This study examined spatial and temporal patterns of physical activities, environmental barriers and motivations, satisfaction levels and demands on the physical environment. In-depth interviews with older adults over age sixty residing in Seoul metropolitan areas revealed that most respondents have a positive perception on walking in daily life, and many of them walk regularly for their health. A primary purpose of walking for older adults was exercise for health rather than transportation. The study result demonstrated that parks and trails were the most preferred places for walking by older adults, and there is an association between frequency of walking participation and access or convenience to parks, traffic safety, and street lights. Most respondents were concerned about traffic safety when they walk in their neighborhoods due to traffic speeds and unsafe streets. Lack of separate sidewalks or benches, stairs and slopes were barriers to older adults' walking habits. This data suggests that the promotion of walking behavior among older adults, some level of public health action, and community support are needed to ensure safe physical environments within communities.
Walking;Active Aging;Stages of Change Model;Environmental Correlates
- 김영임,정혜선,최숙자,이창현(2003)직장인의 걷기운동에 대한 자기 효능감에 영향을 미치는 요인.보건교육건강증진학회지 20(3):255-267
- 김현지(2008)행복한 노년의 조건-운동으로 건강을.동아일보.2008.09.09.
- 박소현,최이명,서한림(2008)도시 주거지의 물리적 보행환경요소 지표화에 관한 연구.대한건축학회논문집 24(1):161-172.
- 보건복지부(2010)2009국민건강통계:국민건강영양조사 제4기 3차년도.
- 선우덕(2008)노인 신체활동증진대책의 정책방안.보건복지포럼.25-36
- 송현철,이무식,김은영(2008)일부 농촌 노인의 운동행위 변화단계.한국스포츠 리서치 19(1):49-6
- 오성재(2006)중년여성의 운동수행실태와 운동수행에 미치는 영향요인 연구.순천향대학교 대학원 석사학위논문.
- 이선애(2007)노인 운동행동 과정에 영향을 미치는 사회심리적 구성인자 분석.중앙대학교 대학원 박사학위논문.
- 임세형(2008)노인삶의 질 지속적으로 낮아졌다.메디컬 업저버.제 460 호.
- 통계청(2010)2010고령자 통계.통계청 사회복지통계과
- Ball,K., A. Bauman and E.Leslie (2001) Perceived environmental aesthetics and convenience and company are associated with walking for exercise among Australian adults. Preventive Medicine 33:434- 440. https://doi.org/10.1006/pmed.2001.0912
- Berrigan,D.and R.P.Troiano(2002)The association between urban form and physical activity in U.S.adults. American Journal of Preventive Medicine 23(suppl):74-7 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0749-3797(02)00476-2
- Frank, L. D.and G. Pivo(1994) Impacts of mixed use and density on utilization of three modes of travel:single-occupant vehicle, transit, and walking. Transportation 14:44-52.
- Giles-Corti, B. and R. J. Donovan(2002)Socioeconomic status differences in recreational physical activity levels and real and perceived access to a supportive physical environment. Preventive Medicine 35: 601-611. https://doi.org/10.1006/pmed.2002.1115
- Hoehner, C. M., L. K. Brennan and M. B. Elliott (2005) Perceived and objective environmental measures and physical activity among urban adults. American Journal of Preventive Medicine 28(suppl2): 105-116. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amepre.2004.10.023
- King,W.C.(2005)Objective measures of neighborhood environment and physical activity. American Journal of Preventive Medicine 28(5): 461-469 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amepre.2005.02.001
- King, W. C., J. S. Brach and S. Belle (2003) The relationship between convenience of destinations and walking levels in older women. American Journal of Health Promotion 18:74-82 https://doi.org/10.4278/0890-1171-18.1.74
- Marcus, B. H., S. W. Banspach and R. C. Lefebvre (1992) Using the stages of change model to increase the adoption of physical activity among community participants.American Journal of Health Promotion 6(6):424-429 https://doi.org/10.4278/0890-1171-6.6.424
- Pikora, T. J., B. Giles-Corti and M. W. Knuiman(2006). Neighborhood environmental factors correlated with walking near home : using SPACES. Medical Sciences and Sports Exercixe 38:708-714 https://doi.org/10.1249/01.mss.0000210189.64458.f3
- Saelens, B. E., J. F. Sallis and J. B. Black (2003) Neighborhood-based differences in physical activity : An environment scale evaluation. American Journal of Public Health 93:1552-1558. https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.93.9.1552
- Suminski, R. R., W. S. Poston and R. L. Petosa (2005) Features of the neighborhood environment and walking by U.S. adults. American Journal of Preventive Medicine 28:149-155. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amepre.2004.09.009