- Volume 26 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Discernment Model of Traffic Accident for an Age-old Driver's License Management
고령운전자 면허관리를 위한 교통사고발생 판별모형 개발
- Park, Jun-Tae (Department of Transportation Engineering, University of Seoul) ;
- Lee, Soo-Beom (Department of Transportation Engineering, University of Seoul) ;
- Lee, Soo-IL (Hyundai Insurance Research Center)
- Received : 2010.02.18
- Accepted : 2011.06.02
- Published : 2011.06.30
The weight of elderly people in Korea has been increasing. Statistics show that the percentage of the elderly people in Korea was 3.1% in 1970; 3.8% in 1980; 5.1% in 1990, and 7.2% in 2000. Based on this trend, thus, the number of elderly people could be estimated to be 14% of the whole Korean population in 2018. This reveals that Korea is entering a super-aging society with remarkable fast pace. In such a change, the statistics related to elderly people driving license and the occurrence of traffic accidents are showing a noticeable numerical value. The number of traffic accident fatality in Korea ranks the highest value in OECD Countries. However, the research on old drivers in the nation is going on partially centering on system improvement and management scheme. Thus, first of all, researches about the linkage & characteristics between the driving behavior of old drivers and traffic accident should be implemented, in order properly to draw system improvement and management scheme for the old drivers. Therefore, the focus of this study is the influence model for discerning the severity of the age-old-caused traffic accidents by inquiring into the relation between the Driving Aptitude Test items that make it possible to measure their behavioral characteristics and influential factors by age group on the basis of the data on traffic accidents. The analysis results can be used as basic data for suggesting the behavioral research and countermeasure for traffic safety and its management for old driver in preparation for the aging society.
CART(Classification and Regression Tree);discriminant analysis;driving aptitude;older driver
- 임평남, "한국의 노인교통사고 피해와 안전대책", 교통안전연구논집, 제14집, pp. 15-23, 1995.
- 신용균, 이건호, 박지영, "노년층 운전자의 시지각 및 운전행동", 교통안전연구논집, 제17집, pp. 52-60, 1998.
- 유현상, 송수식, 이상연, 백주희, "교통사고 다발자의 성격경향에 관한 연구", 신경정신의학, 제134권, 제9호, pp. 1095-1104, 1996.
- 교통개발연구원, "고령운전자의 운전행태 고찰 및 안전운전대책 연구보고서", pp. 63-65, 2001.
- 도로교통안전관리공단, "고령자 및 장애인 교통안전 대책연구", pp. 55-62, 2002.
- 경기개발연구원, "고령자 운전특성에 관한 연구", pp. 30-36, 2002.
- 배영철, "법규위반 운전행동의 원인분석과 교통 안전교육의 개선방안연구", 고려대학교 대학원 석사학위논문, pp. 16-18, 2004.
- P. G. Koltnow, "Improving safety and mobility for older people", TR News, No. 120, 9-10, pp. 20-23, 1985.
- P. J. Cooper, "Difference in accident characteristics among elderly drivers and between elderly and middle- aged drivers", Accident analysis and prevention, Vol. 22, No. 5 pp. 499-508, 1990. https://doi.org/10.1016/0001-4575(90)90044-L
- L. Staplin and R.W. Lyles, "Age difference in motion perception and specific traffic maneuver problems", TRB Record No. 1325, 1991.