- Volume 26 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Evaluation of Risk Factors of Musculoskeletal Disorders in Cashier Work Activities
계산직 작업의 근골격계질환 유해요인 평가
- Hwang, Jae-Jin (Department of Industrial and Information Systems Engineering, Ajou University) ;
- Jung, Myung-Chul (Department of Industrial and Information Systems Engineering, Ajou University) ;
- Kim, Hyun-Joo (Department of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, Dankook University College of Medicine) ;
- JungChoi, Kyung-Hee (Department of Preventive Medicine, Ewha Womans University School of Medicine) ;
- Bahk, Jin-Wook (School of Public Health, Seoul National University) ;
- Lee, In-Seok (Department of Safety Engineering, Hankyong National University)
- 황재진 (아주대학교 산업정보시스템공학부) ;
- 정명철 (아주대학교 산업정보시스템공학부) ;
- 김현주 (단국대학교 의과대학 산업의학교실) ;
- 정최경희 (이화여자대학교 의학전문대학원 예방의학교실) ;
- 박진욱 (서울대학교 보건대학원 직업환경건강교실) ;
- 이인석 (한경대학교 안전공학과)
- Received : 2011.03.22
- Accepted : 2011.06.10
- Published : 2011.06.30
The objective of this study was to identify risk factors associated with the occurrence of musculo-skeletal symptoms of cashiers and provide suggestions for an improved workspace design. Workload and exertion of each task were measured using job analysis and posture analysis. The three most time-consuming tasks were waiting (43.8%), scanning (23.5%) and payment transaction (22.9%). It was analyzed that the workspace can be improved by applying Korean anthropometric data to the design of the desk height. The most common posture was a standing posture with neutral back, and bent lower arms and hands. Finally, it was revealed that 'scanning' and 'payment transaction' seemed more stressful than other operations. The result of the ergonomic evaluation would be a useful basis for designing an improved workspace.
musculoskeletal symptoms;cashiers;job analysis;posture analysis
- K.S. Kim, J.K. P, D.S. Kim, "Status and characteristics of occurrence of work-related musculoskeltal disorders", Journal of the Ergonomics Society of Korea, Vol. 29, No. 4, pp. 405-422, 2010. https://doi.org/10.5143/JESK.2010.29.4.405
- The National Human Rights Commission of the Republic of Korea, "Research on the right to work and discrimination for female temporary employee in the distribution industry", 2007.
- US Department of Labor: Occupational Safety and Health Administration, "Ergonomics for the prevention of musculoskeletal disorders: guidelines for retail grocery stores", 2004.
- K.A. Grant, D.J. Habes, "An analysis of scanning postures among grocery cashiers and its relationship to checkstand design", Ergonomics, Vol. 38, No. 10, pp. 2078-2090, 1995. https://doi.org/10.1080/00140139508925252
- W. Margolis, J.F. Kraus, "The prevalence of carpal tunnel syndrome symptoms in female supermarket checkers", J. Occup. Environ. Med., Vol. 29, No. 12, pp. 953-956, 1987.
- S.H. Lee, R. Myung, "A study of CTDs for a check-out scanning operation", Proceedings of the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society, 2000.
- S.G. Park, J.Y. Lee, "Characteristics and odds ratio of work related musculoskeletal disorders according to job classification in small-to-medium-sized enterprises", Korean J. Occup. Environ. Med., Vol. 16, No. 4, pp. 422-435, 2004.
- D.D. Yang, H.K. Lim, "Risk factors characteristics of work-related musculoskeletal disorders for department store workers", Proceedings of the Ergonomics Society of Korea, 2006.
- G.A. Ryan, "The prevalence of musculo-skeletal symptoms in supermarket workers", Ergonomics, Vol. 32, No. 4, pp. 359-371, 1989. https://doi.org/10.1080/00140138908966103
- K.A. Grant, D.J. Habes, S.L. Baron, "An ergonomics evaluation of cashier work activities at checkerunload workstations", Appl. Ergon., Vol. 25, No. 5, pp. 310-318, 1994. https://doi.org/10.1016/0003-6870(94)90046-9
- U. Hinnen, T. Laubli, U. Guggenbohl, H. Krueger, "Design of check-out systems including laser scanners for sitting work posture", Scand. J. Public. Healt., Vol. 18, pp. 186-194, 1992.
- A. Johansson, G. Johansson, P. Lundqvist, I. Akesson, P. Odenrick, R. Akselsson, "Evaluation of a workplace redesign of a grocery checkout system", Appl. Ergon., Vol. 29, No. 4, pp. 261-266, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0003-6870(97)00016-1
- Korean Employment Information Service, Occupational Employment Statistics, 2006, 2010.
- W.M. Keyserling, "Postural analysis of trunk and shoulders in simulated real time", Ergonomics, Vol. 29, No. 4, pp. 569-583, 1986. https://doi.org/10.1080/00140138608968292
- W.M. Keyserling, M. Brouwer, B.A. Silverstein, "A checklist for evaluation ergonomics risk factors resulting from awkward postures of the legs, trunk and neck", Int. J. Ind. Ergonom., Vol. 9, pp. 283-301, 1992. https://doi.org/10.1016/0169-8141(92)90062-5
- T.K. Foreman, J.D.G. Troup, "Diumal variations in spinal loading and the effects on stature: A preliminary study of nursing activities", Clin. Biomech., Vol. 2, No. 1, pp. 48-54, 1987.
- A.M. Genaidy, L. Guo, R. Eckart, J.D.G. Troup, "A postural stress analysis system for evaluating body movements and positions in industry", Proceedings of the Ergonomics Society Conference, pp. 346-351, 1993.
- I.S. Lee, M.K. Chung, D.H. Kee, "Evaluation of postural load of varying leg postures using the psychophysical scaling", Journal of the Ergonomics Society of Korea, Vol. 21, No. 4, pp. 47-65, 2002.
- D. Baty, D.A. Stubbs, "Postural stress in geriatric nursing", Int. J. Nurs. Stud., Vol. 24, No. 4, pp. 339- 344, 1987. https://doi.org/10.1016/0020-7489(87)90027-7
- E. Grandjean, W. Hunting, "Ergonomics of posture- Review of various problems of standing and sitting posture", Appl. Ergon., Vol. 8, No. 3, pp. 135-140, 1977. https://doi.org/10.1016/0003-6870(77)90002-3
- W.M. Keyserling, "Computer-aided posture analysis of the trunk, neck, shoulders and lower extremities", Taylor and Francis, London, 1990.
- D.M. Andrews, J.P. Callaghan, "Determining the minimum sampling rate needed to accurately quantify cumulative spine loading from digitized video", Appl. Ergon., Vol. 34, pp. 589-595, 2003.
- R. Bonfiglioli, S. Mattioli, C. Fiorentini, F. Graziosi, S. Curti, F.S. Violante, "Relationship between repetitive work and the prevalence of carpal tunnel syndrome in part-time and full-time female supermarket cashiers: a quasi-experimental study", Int. Arch. Occ. Env. Hea., Vol. 80, No. 3, pp. 248-253, 2007.
- C. Carrasco, N. Coleman, S. Healey, "Packing products for customers-An ergonomic evaluation of three supermarket checkouts", Appl. Ergon., Vol. 26, No. 2, pp. 101-108, 1995.
- S. Bernard, "Cashier,s work-time: Between a productivity mentality and a service mentality", Sociol. Trav., Vol. 49, No. 2, pp. 129-144, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.soctra.2006.12.010
- Size Korea, http://sizekorea.kats.go.kr/, 2004.
- E. Grandjean, "Fitting the task to the man", Taylor & Francis, London, 1988.
- K.A. Grant, D.J. Habes, V.P. Anderson, S.L. Baron, M.H. Sweeney, L. Piacitelli, L.J. Fine, "Ergonomic evaluation of checkstand designs in the retail food industry: a report based on expert assessment", Applied Occupational and Environmental Hygiene, Vol. 8, No. 11, pp. 929-936, 1993. https://doi.org/10.1080/1047322X.1993.10388227
- M. Rys, S. Konz, "Standing", Ergonomics, Vol. 37, No. 4, pp. 677-687, 1994. https://doi.org/10.1080/00140139408963682
- P.M. King, "A comparison of the effects of floor mats and shoe in-soles on standing fatigue", Appl. Ergon., Vol. 33, No. 5, pp. 477-484, 2002.
- Occupational Health Clinics for Ontario Workers Inc., "Working on your feet", 2005.
- J.W. Yates, W. Karwowski, "An electromyographic analysis of seated and standing lifting tasks", Ergonomics, Vol. 35, No. 7-8, pp. 889-898, 1992. https://doi.org/10.1080/00140139208967369