- Volume 26 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Seismic Safety Assessment of Long Period Structures Base on Elastic/Inelastic Response Characteristics
장주기구조물의 탄소성응답특성을 고려한 지진안전성 평가
- Bang, Myung-Seok (Department of Safety Engineering, Chungju National University)
- 방명석 (충주대학교 안전공학과)
- Received : 2011.03.19
- Accepted : 2011.06.08
- Published : 2011.06.30
The earthquake characteristic assessment of social overhead facilities would be an important examination issue for seismic capacity enhancement. This study is intended to reasonably evaluate the structural behavior of longperiod frame structures considering near-fault and far-fault earthquake characteristics. Elastic/inelastic time history analyses were performd by selecting the objective structure which can precisely reflect the effect of input ground motion. Based on the result of numerical analysis, we have investigated response aspects of shear force, moment, acceleration and displacement according to earthquake characteristics. Moreover, in order to understand the inelastic behavior of the objective structure, we have analyzed and compared collapse modes by considering the occurrence process of plastic hinges. The outcome of this research is expected to provide the basic information for the seismic safety assessment of long-period frame structures.
near fault earthquake;long period;frame structures;elastic/inelastic;time series;plastic hinge
Supported by : Chungju National University
- M. S. Bang and S. H. Han, "A Study on Characteristics and Dynamic Response Spectrum of Near Fault Ground Motions", Journal of KOSOS, Vol. 20, No. 3, pp. 143-151, 2005.
- G. W. Housner and D. E. Hudson, "The Port Hueneme Earthquake of March 18, 1957", Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America, Vol. 48, No. 2, pp. 163-168, 1985.
- P. C. Jennings, "Enduring Lessons and Opportunities Lost from the San Fernando Earthquake of February 9, 1971", Earthquake Spectra, Vol. 13, No. 1, pp. 25- 53, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1193/1.1585930
- B. A. Bolt, "Discussions of Enduring Lessons and Opportunities Lost from the San Fernando Earthquake of February 9, 1971", Earthquake Spectra, Vol. 13, No. 3, pp. 545-547, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1193/1.1585963
- Korea Atomic Energy Research Institute (KAERI) (2003). "Characteristics of Near-Fault Ground Motions", Report ID KAERI/TR-2453, 2003.
- G. Q. Wang, X. Y. Zhou, Z. J. Ma and P. Z. Zhang, "Corrected Near Fault Recordings Caused by the 1999 Chi-Chi, Taiwan Earthquake", Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America, Vol. 9, No. 5, pp. 1358-1369, 2001.
- UBC Code (1991-1997), "Uniform Building Code, International Conference of Building Officials (ICBO)", Whittier, CA.
- Building Seismic Safety Council "NEHRP recommended provisions for the development of seismic regulations for buildings", FEMA-222, Washington, D C., 1994.
- SAP2000 Analysis reference Volume I, II, Computer and Structures Inc., 1997.
- K. Chopra, "Dynamics of Structures: Theory and Applications to Earthquake Engineering", Prentice Hall, Inc., 1995.