- Volume 6 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
ISO Coordination of Generator Maintenance Scheduling in Competitive Electricity Markets using Simulated Annealing
- Han, Seok-Man (Hongik University Research Institute of Science and Technology) ;
- Chung, Koo-Hyung (Korea Electro-technology Research Institute) ;
- Kim, Balho-H. (School of Electronic and Electrical Engineering, Hongik University)
- Received : 2010.03.02
- Accepted : 2011.03.11
- Published : 2011.07.01
To ensure that equipment outages do not directly impact the reliability of the ISO-controlled grid, market participants request permission and receive approval for planned outages from the independent system operator (ISO) in competitive electricity markets. In the face of major generation outages, the ISO will make a critical decision as regards the scheduling of the essential maintenance for myriads of generating units over a fixed planning horizon in accordance with security and adequacy assessments. Mainly, we are concerned with a fundamental framework for ISO's maintenance coordination in order to determine precedence of conflicting outages. Simulated annealing, a powerful, general-purpose optimization methodology suitable for real combinatorial search problems, is used. Generally, the ISO will put forward its best effort to adjust individual generator maintenance schedules according to the time preferences of each power generator (GENCO) by taking advantage of several factors such as installed capacity and relative weightings assigned to the GENCOs. Thus, computer testing on a four-GENCO model is conducted to demonstrate the effectiveness of the proposed method and the applicability of the solution scheme to large-scale maintenance scheduling coordination problems.
Competitive electricity market;Generator maintenance scheduling;Independent system operator;Simulated annealing
- K. Bhattacharya, M.H.J. Bollen, and J.E. Daalder, Operation of restructured power systems, Massachusetts: Kluwer Academic Publishers, 2001.
- M. Shahidehpour and M. Marwali, Maintenance scheduling in restructured power systems, Massachusetts: Kluwer Academic Publishers, 2000.
- M. Shahidehpour, H. Yamin, and Z. Li, Market operations in electric power systems, New York: Wiley, 2002.
- A. Keyhani, J. Cruz Jr., and M.A. Simaan, "Market monitoring and leader follower incentive control of ancillary services," proc. 32nd Annu. Hawaii Int. Conf. on Syst. Sci. (HICSS-32), Maui, HI, USA, pp. 144-151, 5-8 January 1999.
- S. J. Huang, "Generator maintenance scheduling: a fuzzy system approach with genetic enhancement," Electric Power Systems Research, vol. 41, pp. 233-239, June 1997. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0378-7796(96)01194-7
- S. Baskar, P. Subbaraj, M.V.C. Rao, and S. Tamilselvi, "Genetic algorithms solution to generator maintenance scheduling with modified genetic operators," IEE Proc.-Generation, Transmission and Distribution, vol. 150, pp. 56-60, January 2003. https://doi.org/10.1049/ip-gtd:20030073
- T. Zhang, M. Nakamura, and H. Hatazaki, "Optimizing maintenance scheduling of equipment by element maintenance interval adjustment considering system availability," IEEE/PES Winter Meeting, New York, NY, USA, vol. 1, pp. 205-210, 27-31 January 2002. https://doi.org/10.1109/PESW.2002.984986
- E.L. da Silva, M.Th. Schilling, and M.C. Rafael, "Generation maintenance scheduling considering transmission constraints," IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, vol. 15, pp. 838-843, May 2000. https://doi.org/10.1109/59.867182
- Market rules (Ch. 5 Power System Reliability), Market entry, maintenance & exit manual, and System operations manual, [Online] Available: http://www.theimo.com/imoweb/manuals/marketdocs.asp, 2004.
- H.G. Stoll, Least-cost electric utility planning, New York: Wiley, 1989.
- X. Wang and J. Mcdonald, Modern power system planning, New York: McGraw-Hill, 1994.
- P.J.M. van Laarhoven and E.H.L. Aarts, Simulated annealing: theory and applications, Massachusetts: Kluwer Academic Publishers, 1987.
- T. Satoh and K. Nara, "Maintenance scheduling by using simulated annealing method," IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, vol. 6, pp. 850-857, May 1991. https://doi.org/10.1109/59.76735
- L. Cai and B. Wu, "A regulation for congestion of generator maintenance in a deregulated system," IEEE Bologna PowerTech Conf., Bologna, Italy, vol. 4, pp. 430-434, 23-26 June 2003. https://doi.org/10.1109/PTC.2003.1304761
- Generation Expansion Planning Model Supporting Diverse Environmental Policies for Reduction of Greenhouse Gases vol.37, pp.2, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4218/etrij.15.2314.0059
- A new approach to generation scheduling in interconnected power systems using predictor-corrector proximal multiplier method vol.94, pp.3, 2012, https://doi.org/10.1007/s00202-012-0235-9
- Maintenance scheduling in the electricity industry: A literature review vol.251, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejor.2015.08.045