- Volume 12 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Development of microporous activated carbon using a polymer blend technique and its behavior towards methylene blue adsorption
- Manocha, S. (Department of Materials Science, Sardar Patel University) ;
- Brahmbhatt, Amit (Department of Materials Science, Sardar Patel University)
- Received : 2011.02.05
- Accepted : 2011.03.30
- Published : 2011.06.30
Coloured wastewater is released as a direct result of the production of dyes as well as from various other chemical industries. Many dyes and their breakdown products may be toxic for living organisms. Activated carbon is one of the best materials for removal of dyes from aqueous solutions. The present study describes the adsorption behaviour of methylene blue dye on three microporous activated carbons, where two samples (AC-1 and AC-2) were prepared by a polymer blend technique and the other is a microporous activated carbon (ARY-3) sample from viscose rayon yarn prepared by chemical-physical activation. The effects of contact time and activated carbon dosage on decolourisation capacity have been studied. The results show that activated carbon having mixed microporosity and mesoporosity show tremendous decolourisation capacity for methylene blue. In addition, the activated carbon in the powder form prepared by the polymer blend technique shows better decolourisation capacity for methylene blue than the activated rayon yarn sample.
- Patel N, Okabe K, Oya A. Designing carbon materials with unique shapes using polymer blending and coating techniques. Carbon, 40, 315 (2002). doi: 10.1016/s0008-6223(01)00101-4. https://doi.org/10.1016/s0008-6223(01)00101-4
- Fukuyama K, Kasahara Y, Kasahara N, Oya A, Nishikawa K. Smallangle X-ray scattering study of the pore structure of carbon fibers prepared from a polymer blend of phenolic resin and polystyrene. Carbon, 39, 287 (2001). doi: 10.1016/s0008-6223(00)00159-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/s0008-6223(00)00159-7
- Yamazaki M, Teduka M, Ikeda K, Ichihara S. Preparation of carbon materials with coral-like continuous pores using miscible polymer blends. J Mater Chem, 13, 975 (2003). doi: 10.1039/B302464D. https://doi.org/10.1039/b302464d
- Oya A, Kasahara N, Horigome R. Structure of porous carbon fiber derived from phenolic polymer containing polystyrene microbeads. J Mater Sci Lett, 20, 409 (2001). doi: 10.1023/A:1010934026465. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1010934026465
- Pierce J. Colour in textile effluents-the origins of the problem. J Soc Dyers Colour, 110, 131 (1994). doi: 10.1111/j.1478-4408.1994.tb01624.x. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1478-4408.1994.tb01624.x
- Slokar YM, Majcen Le Marechal A. Methods of decoloration of textile wastewaters. Dyes and Pigments, 37, 335 (1998). doi:10.1016/s0143-7208(97)00075-2. https://doi.org/10.1016/s0143-7208(97)00075-2
- Kargi F, Ozmihci SS. Biosorption performance of powdered activated sludge for removal of different dyestuffs. Enz Microb Technol, 35, 267 (2004). doi: 10.1016/j.enzmictec.2004.05.002. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enzmictec.2004.05.002
- Raghuvanshi SP, Singh R, Kaushik CP. Kinetics study of methylene blue dye bioadsorption on baggase. Appl Ecol Environ Res, 2, 35 (2004). https://doi.org/10.15666/aeer/03035043
- Pelekani C, Snoeyink VL. Competitive adsorption between atrazine and methylene blue on activated carbon: the importance of pore size distribution. Carbon, 38, 1423 (2000). doi: 10.1016/s0008-6223(99)00261-4. https://doi.org/10.1016/s0008-6223(99)00261-4
- Guzel F, Uzun I. Determination of the micropore structures of activated carbons by adsorption of various dyestuffs from aqueous solution. Turk J Chem, 26, 369 (2002).
- Costa LCM. Araujo MH, Sapag K, Sardella MF, Silva H, Deiana AC, Lago RM. High surface area functionalized carbon briquettes: a novel adsorbent for contaminants from water. J Braz Chem Soc, 16, 899 (2005) doi: 10.1590/S0103-50532005000600002. https://doi.org/10.1590/S0103-50532005000600002
- Ko YG, Choi US, Kim JS, Park YS. Novel synthesis and characterization of activated carbon fiber and dye adsorption modeling. Carbon, 40, 2661 (2002). doi: 10.1016/s0008-6223(02)00168-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/s0008-6223(02)00168-9
- Sarioglu M, Atay UA. Removal of Methylene blue by using biosolid. Global NEST J, 8, 113 (2006).
- Yamada K, Haraguchi K, Gacho CC, Wongsiri BP, Pena ML. Removal of dyes from aqueous solution by sorption with coal fly ash. International Ash Utilization Symposium, Lexington, KY, paper # 116 (2003).
- Walker GM, Weatherley LR. Fixed bed adsorption of acid dyes onto activated carbon. Environ Pollut, 99, 133 (1998). doi: 10.1016/s0269-7491(97)00166-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/s0269-7491(97)00166-8