- Volume 36 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
The Influence of Individual-Level Social Capital on Depression
개인수준의 사회적 자본이 우울증에 미치는 영향
- Received : 2011.01.26
- Accepted : 2011.04.22
- Published : 2011.06.30
Objectives: This study was performed to investigate the relationship between individual-level social capital and depression. Methods: Data from the 2009 Community Health Survey were analyzed for this study. We used chi-square tests and hierarchical logistic regression analyses to determine the relationship between individual-level social capital and depression. The Korean version of the Center for Epidemiological Studies-Depression Scale was used to measure depression. Results: After controlling for socio-demographic factors such as, health behavior and chronic illness morbidity, that are associated with individual-level social capital, trust and informal participation significantly affected depression. Respondents with "be trust"(0.536, 95% CI 0.419-0.685) and who participate in "informal groups"(0.657, 95% CI 0.516-0.836) had significantly lower odds ratios of depression. Conclusions: Considering and introducing measures to increase the social capital of residents, need reduce depression. It is especially necessary to enhance resident empowerment.
- Barker RL. Social work dictionary(3rd ed.) Washington DC: NASW Press
- Riolo SA, Nguyen TA, Greden JF, King CA. Prevalence of depression by race/ethnicity: Finding from the national health and nutrition examination survey III. American Journal of Public Health 2005;95(6):998-1000
- 보건복지부. 2006년 정신질환실태 역학조사 [cited 2010 Nov 09] Available from: URL:http://www.mw.go.kr.
- Cho MJ, Nam JJ, Suh GH. Prevalence of symptoms of depression in a nationwide sample of korean adult. Psychiatric Research 1998;81:341-352 (Korean) https://doi.org/10.1016/S0165-1781(98)00122-X
- WHO. The World Health Report 2001. Mental health: New understanding, new hope[cited 2010 Nov 09] Available from: URL: http://www.who.int/whr/2001/en/index.html.
- 보건복지부. 2009 보건복지백서[cited 2010 Nov 10] Available from: URL: http://www.mw.go.kr.
- De Silva MJ, Huttly SR, Harpham T, Kenward MG. Social capital and mental health : A comparative analysis of four low income countries Social Science and Medicine 2007;64:5-20 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.socscimed.2006.08.044
- Lofors J, Sundquist K. Low linking social capital as a predictor of mental disorders : a cohort study of 4.5 million Swedens. Social Science and Medicine 2007;64:21-34 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.socscimed.2006.08.024
- Lim JY, Lee TJ, Bae SS, Yi GH, Kang KH, Hwang YH. The effect of social capital on health-promoting behaviors of the Poor. Korean Social Policy Review 2010; 16(2):131-180 (Korean) https://doi.org/10.17000/kspr.16.2.201001.131
- WHO. A user-guide to self-reporting questionnaire.[cited 2010 Nov 10] Available from: URL: http://www.who.int.
- Wang H, Schlesinger M, Wang H, Hsiao WC. The flip-side of social capital : The distinctive influences of trust and mistrust on health in rural china. Social Science and Medicine 2009;68:133-142 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.socscimed.2008.09.038
- Hyyppa MT, Maki J. Individual level relationships between social capital and self-related health in a bilingual community. Preventive Medicine 2001;32(2):148-155. https://doi.org/10.1006/pmed.2000.0782
- Veenstra G. Location, location, location: contextual and compositional health effects of social capital in british Columbia, Canada. Social Science and Medicine 2005;60(9):2059-2071 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.socscimed.2004.08.064
- Choi MY. An empirical study of the effects of neighborhoods and social capital on elderly people depression. Korean journal of social welfare research 2008;18:25-46 (Korean)
- Kim YB. Prevalence of depression and correlates of depressive symptoms among residents in urban area of Jeju island. Master. Cheju National University, Jeju. 2004 (Korean)
- Kim MD, Hwang SW, Hong SC. Prevalence of depression and correlates of depressive symptoms among residents in rural areas of jeju island. The Korean Academy of Family Medicine 2003;24:833-844 (Korean)
- Kang D. A study on factors influencing the depression of the elderly in rural. Master. Mokwon University, Daejeon, 2005 (Korean)
- Jung HS. A study on the influencing factors of depression in the elderly. Master. Kongju University, Kongju, 2007 (Korean)
- Kim TS, Kim DJ. The association between smoking and depression. Korean Journal of Psychopharmcol 2007;18(6):393-398 (Korean)
- Kim YH, Kim SS. A examination of the effects of social capital on children's depression. Korean Journal of Social Welfare Studies 2008;26:103-127 (Korean)
- Rho BI, Kwak HK. A study on the effect of neighborhood-level contextual characteristics on mental health of community residents. Health and Medical Sociology. 2005;17:5-31 (Korean)
- Lee YH, Sim MH, Kweon SS, Choi SW, Lee JA, Choi JS. Prevalence and correlates of depression among the elderly in an urban community. J Agri Med & Community Health .2008;33(3):303-315 (Korean) https://doi.org/10.5393/JAMCH.2008.33.3.303
- Hwangbo Y, Ham JO. Prevalence and risk factors of depression among the elderly in Asan. J Soonchunhyang Med. Coll 2007;13(1):27-35 (Korean)
- WHO. Health Promotion Glossary [cited 2010 Nov 10] Available from: URL: http://www.who.int/hpr/NPH/docs/hp_glossary_en.pdf.
- Snelgrove JW, Pikhart H, Stafford M. A multilevel analysis of social capital and self-rated health: Evidence from the British Household Panel Survey. Social Science & Medicine 2009;68:1993-.2001 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.socscimed.2009.03.011
- Paeng KY. The Influence of Individual-level Social Capital on Self-rated Health. Doctor. Gyeongsang National University, Jinju, 2011 (Korean)
- International Physical Activity Questionnaire [cited 2011 March 5] Available from: URL: http://www.ipaq.ki.se/downloads.htm.
- Weissman MM, Bland R, Joyce PR, Newman S, Wells JE, Wittchen HU. Sex differences in rates of depression: cross-national perspectives. J Affect Disord 1993;29:77-84 https://doi.org/10.1016/0165-0327(93)90025-F
- Hur JS, Yoo SH. Determinants of depression among elderly persons. Mental Health & Social Work 2002;13(6):7-35 (Korean)
- Kaplan GA, Roberts RE, Camacho TC, Coyne JC. Psychosocial predictor of depression. Am J Epidemiology 1987;125:206-20 https://doi.org/10.1093/oxfordjournals.aje.a114521
- Kim MD, Hong SC, Lee CI, Kwak YS, Shin TK, Jang YH, Oh EH, Lee JW, Jeon BH, Hwang SE. Prevalence Of depression and correlates of depressive symptoms for residents in the urban part of Jeju island, Korea. Int J Soc Psychiatry 2007;53(2):123-134 (Korean) https://doi.org/10.1177/0020764006075022
- Park EO, Kim MD, Kim JY, Son YJ, Song HJ, Hong SC. A survey on depression pevalence in Jeju: Jeju special self-governing province, Jeju National University, 2007 (Korean)
- Parker DA, Parker ES, Harford TC, Farmer GC. Alcohol use and depression symptoms among employed men and women. Am J Public Health 1987;77(6):704-707 https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.77.6.704
- Wada K, Satoh T, Tsunoda M, Aizawa Y. Japan work stress and health cohort study group: associations of health behaviors on depressive symptoms among employed men in Japan. Ind Health 2006;44(3):486-492 https://doi.org/10.2486/indhealth.44.486
- Kuo SY, Lin KM, Chen CY, Chuang YL, Chen WJ. Depression trajectories and obesity among the elderly in Taiwan. Psychol Med. 2011 5[Epub ahead of print]:1-12
- Moos RH, Mertens JR. Patterns of diagnoses, comorbidities, and treatment in late－middle －aged and older affective disorder patients : comparison of mental health and medical sectors. J Am Geriatr Soc 1996;44(6):682-688 https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1532-5415.1996.tb01832.x
- Gunn JM, Ayton DR, Densley K, Pallant JF, Chondros P, Herrman HE, Dowrick CF. The association between chronic illness, multimorbidity and depressive symptoms in an Australian primary care cohort. Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol 2010;Dec 25[Epub ahead of print]:1-10
- Yip W, Subramanian SV, Mitchell AD, Lee DT, Wang J, Kawachi I. Does social capital enhance health and well-being? Evidence from rural china. Soc Sci Med 2007;64(1):35-49 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.socscimed.2006.08.027
- Gilson L. Trust and the development of health care as a social institution. Soc Sci Med 2003; 56(7):1453-1468 https://doi.org/10.1016/S0277-9536(02)00142-9
- Ferguson KIM. Social capital and children`s wellbeing: A critical synthesis of the international social capital literature. International Journal of Social Welfare 2006; 15(1):2-18 https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1468-2397.2006.00575.x
- Analysis of the relationship between community characteristics and depression using geographically weighted regression vol.39, 2017, https://doi.org/10.4178/epih.e2017025
- The Association of Trust, Social Participation with Self-Rated Health Status - Mediating Effect of Depression - vol.38, pp.4, 2013, https://doi.org/10.5393/JAMCH.2013.38.4.257
- The Association of Self-esteem and Social support with Depressive symptoms in College Students vol.15, pp.5, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2014.15.5.2996
- The effect of childhood and current economic status on depressive symptoms in South Korean individuals: a longitudinal study vol.15, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1186/s12939-016-0402-0
- A Comparison of Social Capital Tools Developed by International Institutes and Nations vol.37, pp.3, 2012, https://doi.org/10.5393/JAMCH.2012.37.3.111
- Individual and Socioeconomic Contextual Effects on Depressive Symptom in Korea: Multilevel Analysis of Cross-sectional Nationwide Survey vol.30, pp.2, 2015, https://doi.org/10.3346/jkms.2015.30.2.186
- Relationship between diet and prevalence of depression among Korean adults: Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey 2010 vol.41, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5393/JAMCH.2016.41.2.075