- Volume 53 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Intestinal Growth and Development of Weanling Pigs in Response to Dietary Supplementation of Antibiotics, Phytogenic Products and Brewer's Yeast plus Bacillus Spores
- Lee, C.-Young (Regional Animal Industry Center, Gyeongnam National University of Science and Technology) ;
- Lim, Jung-Won (Regional Animal Industry Center, Gyeongnam National University of Science and Technology) ;
- Ko, Young-Hyun (Regional Animal Industry Center, Gyeongnam National University of Science and Technology) ;
- Kang, Sun-Young (Regional Animal Industry Center, Gyeongnam National University of Science and Technology) ;
- Park, Man-Jong (Regional Animal Industry Center, Gyeongnam National University of Science and Technology) ;
- Ko, Tae-Gu (Bio Resource Institute) ;
- Lee, Ji-Hoon (Bio Resource Institute) ;
- Hyun, Young (Bio Resource Institute) ;
- Jeong, Kyu-Sik (Department of Pathology, College of Veterinary Medicine, Kyungpook National University) ;
- Jang, In-Surk (Regional Animal Industry Center, Gyeongnam National University of Science and Technology)
- Received : 2011.03.28
- Accepted : 2011.06.17
- Published : 2011.06.30
A total of 96 crossbred weanling barrows aged 21 days were randomly allocated to 32 pens of a new nursery to investigate the effects of antibiotics, phytogenics, and probiotics on intestinal growth and development. The animals were fed a set of three-phase basal diets containing 0.3% zinc oxide (CON) or the basal diets supplemented with 353 ppm of a combination of tiamulin, neomycin, chlortetracycline, and oxytetracycline (ANTI), 75 ppm triterpenoid saponin plus 150 ppm mixed saccharides (HERB; Sacchapin
Weanling pig;Antibiotic;Herb extract;Probiotic;Intestine
- Alexopoulos, C., Georgoulaskis, I. E., Tzivara, A., Kyriakis, C. S., Govaris, A. and Kyriakis, S. C. 2004. Field evaluation of the effect of a probiotic-containing Bacillus licheniformis and Bacillus subtilis spores on the health status, performance, and carcass quality of grower and finisher pigs. J. Vet. Med. A. Physiol. Pathol. Clin. Med. 51:306-312. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1439-0442.2004.00637.x
- Broom, L. J., Miller, H. M., Kerr, K. G. and Knapp, J. S. 2006. Effects of zinc oxide and Enterococcus faecium SF68 dietary supplementation on the performance, intestinal microbiota and immune status of weaned piglets. Res. Vet. Sci. 80:45-54. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rvsc.2005.04.004
- Colina, J. J., Lewis, A. J., Miller, P. S. and Fischer, R. L. 2001. Dietary manipulation to reduce aerial ammonia concentrations in nursery pig facilities. J. Anim. Sci. 79:3096-3103. https://doi.org/10.2527/2001.79123096x
- Collington, G. K., Parker, D. S. and Armstrong, D. G. 1990. The influence of inclusion of either an antibiotic and a probiotic in the diet on the development of digestive enzyme activity in the pig. Br. J. Nutr. 64:59-70. https://doi.org/10.1079/BJN19900009
- Cowan, M. M. 1999. Plant products as antimicrobial products. Clin. Microbiol. Rev. 12:564-582.
- Cromwell, G. L. 2001. Antimicrobial and promicrobial agents. In: Lewis, A. J. and Southern, L. L. (Eds.), Swine Nutrition, second ed. CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL, USA, pp. 401-426.
- Dahlqvist, A. 1968. Assay of the intestinal disaccharidase. 1968. Anal. Biochem. 22:99-107. https://doi.org/10.1016/0003-2697(68)90263-7
- Davis, M. E., Parrott, T., Brown, D. C., de Rodas, B. Z., Johnson, Z. B, Maxwell, C. V. and Rehberger, T. 2008. Effect of a Bacillus-based direct-fed microbial feed supplement on growth performance and pen cleaning characteristics of growingfinishing pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 86:1459-1467. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2007-0603
- Domeneghini, C., Di Giancamillo, A., Arrighi, S. and Bosi, G. 2006. Gut-trophic feed additives and their effects upon the gut structure and intestinal metabolism. State of the art in the pig, and perspectives towards humans. Histol. Histopathol. 21:273-283.
- Fethiere, R. and Miles, R. D. 1987. Intestinal tract weight of chicks fed an antibiotics and probiotics. Nutr. Rep. Int. 36: 1305-1309.
- Francis, G., Kerem, Z., Makkar, H. P. S. and Becker, K. 2002. The biological action of saponins in animal systems: a review. Br. J. Nutr. 88:587-605. https://doi.org/10.1079/BJN2002725
- Hill, G. M., Mahan, D. C., Carter S. D., Gromwell, G. L., Ewan, R. C., Harrold, R. L., Lewis, A. J., Miller, P. S., Shurson, G. C. and Veum, T. L. 2001. Effect of pharmacological concentrations of zinc oxide with or without the inclusion of an antibacterial agent on nursery pig performance. J. Anim. Sci. 79:934-941. https://doi.org/10.2527/2001.794934x
- Ilsley, S. E., Millers, H. M. and Kamel, C. 2005. Effects of dietary quillaja saponin and curcumin on the performance and immune status of weaned piglets. J. Anim. Sci. 83:82-88. https://doi.org/10.2527/2005.83182x
- Jang, I. S., Ko, Y. H., Kang, S. Y. and Lee, C. Y. 2007. Effect of a commercial essential oil on growth performance, digestive enzyme activity and intestinal microflora population in broiler chickens. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 134:304-315. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anifeedsci.2006.06.009
- Jang, I. S., Ko, Y. H. Yang, H. Y. Ha, J. S., Kim, J. Y., Kim, J. Y., Kang, S. Y., Yoo, D. H. Nam, D. S., Kim, D. H. and Lee, C. Y. 2004. Influence of essential oil components on growth performance and the functional activity of the pancreas and small intestine in broiler chickens.Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 17:394-400. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2004.394
- Kang, P., Xiao, H. L., Hou, Y. Q., Ding, B. Y., Liu, Y. L., Zhu, H. L., Hu, Q. Z., Hu, Y. and Yin, Y. L. 2010. Effects of Astragalus polysaccharides, Achyranthes bidentata polysaccharides and Acantbepanax senticosus saponin on the performance and immunity in weaned pigs. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 23, 750-756. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2010.90526
- Kelly, D., Smyth, J. A. and McCracken, K. J. 1991. Digestive development of the early-weaned pig. 2. Effect of level of food intake on digestive enzyme activity during the immediate post-weaning period. Br. J. Nutr. 65:181-188. https://doi.org/10.1079/BJN19910079
- Kong, X. F., Wu, G. Y., Liao, Y. P., Hou, Z. P., Liu, H. J., Yin, F. G., Li, T. J., Huang, R. L., Zhang, Y. M., Deng, D., Kang, P., Wang, R. X., Tang, Z. Y., Yang, C. B., Deng, Z. Y., Xiong, H., Chu, W. Y., Ruan, Z., Xie, M. Y. and Yin, Y. L. 2007. Effects of Chinese herbal ultra-fine powder as a dietary additive on growth performance, serum metabolites and intestinal health in early-weaned piglets. Livest. Sci. 108: 272-275. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.livsci.2007.01.079
- Lalles, J. P., Bosi, P., Smidt, H. and Stokes, C. R. 2007. Nutritional management of gut health in pigs around weaning. Proc. Nutr. Soc. 66:260-268. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0029665107005484
- Lee, K. W. 2002. Essential oils in Broiler Nutrition. Thesis. Department of Nutrition, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Utrecht University, Utrecht, the Netherlands.
- Leser, T. D., Knarreborg, A. and Worm, J. 2008. Germination and outgrowth of Bacillus subtilis and Bacillus licheniformis spores in the gastrointestinal tract of pigs. J. Appl. Microbiol. 104:1025-1033. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2672.2007.03633.x
- MIFAFF. 2004. Classification and Specification of Hazardous Feeds (published in Korean; translated into English). Notification No. 2004-72, Ministry for Food, Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries, Republic of Korea.
- MIFAFF, 2010. Classification and Specification of Hazardous Feeds (published in Korean; translated into English). Notification No. 2010-30, Ministry for Food, Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries, Republic of Korea.
- Manzanilla, E. G., Nofrarías, M. Anguita, M., Castillo, M., Perez, J. F., Martin-Orue, S. M., Kamel, C. and Gasa. J. 2006. Effects of butyrate, avilamycin, and a plant extract combination on the intestinal equilibrium of early-weaned pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 84:2743-2751. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2005-509
- Miles, R. D., Butcher, G. D., Henry, P. R. and Littell, P. R. 2006. Effect of antibiotic growth promoters on broiler performance, intestinal growth parameters and quantitative morphology. Poult. Sci. 85:476-485. https://doi.org/10.1093/ps/85.3.476
- Ohashi, Y and Ushida, K. 2009. Health-beneficial effects of probiotics: its mode of action. Anim. Sci. J. 80:361-371. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1740-0929.2009.00645.x
- Olas, B., Wachowicz, B., Stochmal, A. and Oleszek, W. 2003. Inhibition of oxidative stress in blood platelets by different phenolics from Yucca schidigera Roezl. bark. Nutrition 19:633-640. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0899-9007(03)00036-4
- Owusu-Asiedu, A., Nyachoti, C. M. and Marquardt, R. R. 2003. Response of early-weaned pigs to an enterotoxigenic Escherichia coli (K88) challenge when fed diets containing spray-dried porcine plasma or pea protein isolate plus egg yolk antibody, zinc oxide, fumaric acid, or antibiotic. J. Anim. Sci. 81:1790-1798. https://doi.org/10.2527/2003.8171790x
- Phillips, I. 2007. Withdrawal of growth-promoting antibiotics in Europe and its effects in relation to human health. Int. J. Antimicrob. Agents 30:101-107. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijantimicag.2007.02.018
- Ryniba, I. V., Liu, H., Gor, Y. and Feinmark, S. J. 1997. Regulation of leukotriene A4 hydrolase activity in endothelial cells by phosphorylation. J. Biol. Chem. 272:31865-31871. https://doi.org/10.1074/jbc.272.50.31865
- Sehm, J., Lindermayer, H., Dummer, C., Treutter, D. and Pfaffl, M. W. 2007. The influence of polyphenol rich apple pomace or red-wine pomace diet on the gut morphology in weaning piglets. J. Anim. Physiol. Anim. Nutr. 91:289-296. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1439-0396.2006.00650.x
- Snary, E. L., Kelly, L. A., Davison, H. C., Teale, C. J. and Wooldridge, M. 2004. Antimicrobial resistance: a microbial risk assessment perspective. J. Antimicrob. Chemother. 53:906-917. https://doi.org/10.1093/jac/dkh182
- Solomon, S. E. and Tullett, S. G. 1988. The effect of virginiamycin on the ileum of the domestic fowl. 1. Light and scanning electron microscope observations. Anim. Tech. 39:157-160.
- Stein, H. H. and Kil, Y. 2006. Reduced use of antibiotic growth promoters in diets fed to weanling pigs: dietary tools, part 2. Anim. Biotechnol. 17:217-231. https://doi.org/10.1080/10495390600957191
- Stutz, M. W., Johnson, S. L. and Judith, F. R. 1983. Effects of diet, bacitracin, and body weight restrictions on the intestine of broiler chicks. Poult. Sci. 62:1626-1632. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.0621626
- Thymann, T., Sorensen, K. U., Hedemann, M. S., Elnif, J., Jensen, B. B., Banga-Mboko, H., Leser, T. D. and Sangild, P. T. 2007. Antimicrobial treatment reduces intestinal microflora and improves protein digestive capacity without changes in villous structure in weanling pigs. Br. J. Nutr. 97:1128-1137. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0007114507691910
- van der Peet-Schwering, C. M., Jansman, A. J., Smidt, H. and Yoon, I. 2007. Effects of yeast culture on performance, gut integrity, and blood cell composition of weanling pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 85:3099-3109. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2007-0110
- Veselinova, A., Ivanov, N. and Chotinski, D. 1987. Morphological changes in broilers produced by feeding antibiotics. Vet. Med. Nauki. 24:9-14.
- Visek W. J. 1978. The mode of growth promotion by antibiotics. J. Anim. Sci. 46:1447-1469. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1978.4651447x
- Wenk, C. 2000. Recent advances in animal feed additives such as metabolic modifiers, antimicrobial agents, probiotics, enzymes and highly available minerals. Review. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 13:86-95. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2000.86
- Windisch, W. M., Schedle, K., Plitzner, C. and Kroismayr, A. 2008. Use of phytogenic products as feed additives for swine and poultry. J. Anim. Sci. 86(Suppl.):E140-E148. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2007-0459
- Yen, J. T. and Pond, W. G. 1993. Effects of carbadox, copper, or Yucca shidigera extract on growth performance and visceral weight of young pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 71:2140-2146. https://doi.org/10.2527/1993.7182140x
- Yin, F., Yin, Y., Kong, X., Liu, Y., He, Q., Li, T., Huang, R., Hou, Y., Shu, X., Tan, L., Chen, L., Gong, J., Kim, S. W. and Wu, G. 2008. Dietary supplementation with Acanthopanax senticosus extract modulates gut microflora in weaned piglets. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 21:1330-1338. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2008.70583
- Zhao, J., Harper, A. F., Estienne, M. J., Webb, Jr., K. E., McElroy, A. P. and Denbow, D. M. 2007. Growth performance and intestinal morphology responses in early weaned pigs to supplementation of antibiotic-free diets with an organic copper complex and spray-dried plasma protein in sanitary and nonsanitary environments. J. Anim. Sci. 85:1302-1310. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2006-434
- probiotic potential of phytase-producing bacterial strain as a new probiotic candidate vol.50, pp.2, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1111/ijfs.12697
- vol.85, pp.8, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1111/asj.12215
- Effects of By-Products of Herbal Medicine on Performance, Intestinal Microbial Population, Blood Biochemical Profiles and Immunological Parameters in Broiler Chicks vol.42, pp.4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5536/KJPS.2015.42.4.307
- Effects of a lipid-encapsulated zinc oxide dietary supplement, on growth parameters and intestinal morphology in weanling pigs artificially infected with enterotoxigenic Escherichia coli vol.57, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1186/s40781-014-0038-9
- (ETEC) K88 on clinical symptoms of post-weaning pigs challenged with the ETEC pathogen vol.101, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1111/jpn.12513
- Effects of dietary supplementation of a lipid-coated zinc oxide product on the fecal consistency, growth, and morphology of the intestinal mucosa of weanling pigs vol.59, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1186/s40781-017-0159-z
- ) but not through limitations in digestive capacity vol.13, pp.2, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1111/1749-4877.12289
- K88 vol.98, pp.3, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1139/cjas-2017-0127
- Effects of dietary supplementation of lipid-coated zinc oxide on intestinal mucosal morphology and expression of the genes associated with growth and immune function in weanling pigs vol.31, pp.3, 2018, https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.17.0718