- Volume 53 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Feasibility of Increasing the Slaughter Weight of Finishing Pigs
- Park, Byung-Chul (Sunjin Co., Ltd.) ;
- Lee, C.-Young (Regional Animal Industry Center, Gyeongnam National University of Science and Technology)
- Received : 2011.03.14
- Accepted : 2011.05.06
- Published : 2011.06.30
The present review was aimed to assess the feasibility of increasing the slaughter weight (SW) of finishing pigs. Growth performance, including ADG, ADFI and gain:feed, does not change significantly with increasing SW between 110 and
Finishing pig;Growth;Slaughter weight;Carcass;Meat quality
- Bonneau, M. and Lebret, B. 2010. Production systems and influence on eating quality of pork. Meat Sci. 84:293-300. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2009.03.013
- Chang, W. K. and Chung, S. K. 1985. Studies for improving swine feeding programs. Effects of L-lysine supplementation to grower feed. Annual Research Reports of National Livestock Research Institute, Republic of Korea, pp. 286-294.
- Chung, C. Y., Chung, I. B., Kwon, D. J., Chung, S. K., Yoon, H. J. and Kim, K. S. 1981. Experiments on swine production. Effects of plane of nutrition and market weight on pork quality. Annual Research Reports of National Livestock Research Institute, Republic of Korea, pp. 436-476.
- CIE. 1978. Recommendations on uniform color spaces-color difference equations, psychometric color terms. Supplement no. 2 to CIE Publication No. 15 (E-1.3.1) 1971/(TC-1-3). Commission Internationale de l'Eclairage, Paris.
- Cisneros, F., Ellis, M., McKeith, F. K., McCaw, J. and Fernando, R. L. 1996. Influence of slaughter weight on growth and carcasscharacteristics, commercial cutting and curing yields, and meat quality of barrows and gilts from two genotypes. J. Anim. Sci. 74:925-933. https://doi.org/10.2527/1996.745925x
- Corino, C., Musella, M. and Mourot, J. 2008. Influenceof extruded linseed on growth, carcass composition, and meat quality of slaughtered pigs at one hundred ten and one hundred sixty kilograms of liveweight. J. Anim. Sci. 86:1850-1860. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2007-0155
- DARD. 2002. Increasing carcass weight. Pig Newsletter. Department of Agriculture and Rural Development. August, Hillsborough, Northern Ireland.
- Fernandez-Duenas, D. M., Myers, A. J., Scramlin, S. M., Parks, C. W., Carr, S. N., Killefer, J. and McKeith, F. K. 2008. Carcass, meat quality, and sensory characteristics of heavy body weight pigs fed ractopamine hydrochloride (Paylean). J. Anim. Sci. 86:3544-3550. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2008-0899
- Gu, Y., Schinckel, A. P. and Martin, T. G. 1992. Growth, development and carcass composition in five genotypes of swine. J. Anim. Sci. 70:1719-1729. https://doi.org/10.2527/1992.7061719x
- Ha, D.-M., Kim, G. D., Han, J.-C., Jeong, J. Y., Park, M.-J., Park, B.-C., Joo, S. T. and Lee, C. Y. 2010. Effects of dietary energy level on growth efficiency and carcass quality traits of finishing pigs. J. Anim. Sci. Technol. (Kor.) 52:191-198. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2010.52.3.191
- Huff-Lonergan E., Lonergan, S. M. and Beerman, D. H. 2003. Animal growth and meat quality. In Biology of Growth of Domestic Animals, C. G. Scanes (Ed.), Iowa State Press, Ames, IA, USA, pp. 220-232.
- Jeong, J. Y., Park, B. C., Ha, D. M., Park, M. J., Joo, S. T. and Lee, C. Y. 2010. Effects of increasing slaughter weight on production efficiency and carcass quality of finishing gilts and barrows. Korean J. Food Sci. Anim. Resour. 30:206-215. https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2010.30.2.206
- Joo, S. T., Kauffman, R. G., Kim, B. C. and Park, G. B. 1999. The relationship of sarcoplasmic and myofibrillar protein solubility to colour and water-holding capacity in porcine longissimus muscle. Meat Sci. 52:291-297. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(99)00005-4
- Kanis, E., Nieuwhof, G. J., de Greef, K. H., van der Hel, W., Vestergen, M. W. A., Huisman, J. and van der Wal, P. 1990. Effect of recombinant porcine somatotropin on growth and carcass quality in growing pigs: interactions with genotype, gender and slaughter weight. J. Anim. Sci. 68:1193-1200. https://doi.org/10.2527/1990.6851193x
- Kim, I. S., Jin, S.-K., Song, Y.-M., Park, K.-H., Kang, S.-M., Ha, J.-H., Kim, I.-J., Park, Y.-S. and Kim, J.-H. 2006. Quality characteristics of pork by sex of crossbred pigs. Korean J. Intl. Agri. 18:34-39.
- Kim, M. K., Park, J. S., Doh, C. H., Cho, W. J., Lee, S. D., Park, M. R. and Kim, W. S. 2009. A report on "A Survey on Current Status and Competitiveness of the Advanced Countries in Pig Production" (published in Korean; translated into English). Pork Checkoff Board, Korea Swine Association.
- Kim, Y. S., Kim, S. W., Weaver, M. A. and Lee, C. Y. 2005. Increasing the pig market weight: world trends, expected consequences and practical considerations. Asian-Aus. J. Anim. Sci. 18:590-600. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2005.590
- Latorre, M. A., Garcia-Belenguer, E. and Arino, L. 2008. The effects of sex and slaughter weight on growth performance and carcass traits of pigs intended for dry-cured ham from Teruel (Spain). J. Anim. Sci. 86:1933-1942. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2007-0764
- Latorre, M. A., Lazaro, R., Valencia, D. G., Medel, P. and Mateos, G. G. 2004. The effects of gender and slaughter weight on the growth performance, carcass traits and meat quality characteristics of heavy pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 82:526-533. https://doi.org/10.1093/ansci/82.2.526
- Latorre, M. A., Ripoll, G., Garcia-Belenguer, E. and Arino, L. 2009. The increase of slaughter weight in gilts as a strategy to optimize the production of Spainish high quality dry-cured ham. J. Anim. Sci. 87:1464-1471. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2008-1362
- Leach, L. M., Ellis, M., Sutton, D. S., McKeith, F. K. and Wilson, E. R. 1996. The growth performance, carcass characteristics, and meat quality of halothane carrier and negative pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 74:934-943. https://doi.org/10.2527/1996.745934x
- Lee, C. Y., Lee, H. P., Lee, J. H. and Park, M. J. 2000. Effects of a low-energy diet on growth and carcass quality of finishing barrows. J. Agric. Tech. Res. Inst. (Jinju Natl. Univ., Republic of Korea) 13:199-205.
- Lee, C. Y., Kim, M. H., Ha, D. M., Park, J. W., Oh, G. Y., Lee, J. R., Ha, Y. J. and Park, B. C. 2007. Effects of the energy level of the finisher diet on growth efficiency and carcass traits of 'high'-market weight pigs. J Anim. Sci. Technol. (Kor.) 49:471-480. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2007.49.4.471
- Lee, C. Y., Kwon, O. C., Ha, D. M., Shin, H. W., Lee, J. R., Ha, Y. J., Lee, J. H., Ha, S. H., Kim, W. K., Kim, W. K. and Kim, D. H. 2006. Growth efficiency, carcass quality characteristics and profitability of finishing pigs slaughtered at 130 vs. 110 kg. J. Anim. Sci. Technol. (Kor.) 48:493-502. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2006.48.4.493
- Lee, C. Y., Lee, H. P., Jeong, J. H., Baik, K. H., Jin, S. K., Lee, J. H. and Sohn, S. H. 2002. Effects of restricted feeding, low-energy diet, and implantation of trenbolone acetate plus estradiol on growth, carcass traits, and circulating concentrations of insulin-like growth factor (IGF)-I and IGF-binding protein-3 in finishing barrows. J. Anim. Sci. 80:84-93. https://doi.org/10.2527/2002.80184x
- Leymaster, K. A. and Mersmann, H. J. 1991. Effect of limited feed intake on growth of subcutaneous adipose tissue layers and on carcass composition in swine. J. Anim. Sci. 69: 2837-2843. https://doi.org/10.2527/1991.6972837x
- MIFAFF. 2007. "Grading Standards for Livestock Products" (published in Korean; translated into English). Notification No. 2007-40 of the Ministry of Food, Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries, Republic of Korea.
- Martin, A. H., Sather, A. P., Fredeen, H. T. and Jolly, R. W. 1980. Alternative market weights for swine. II. Carcass composition and meat quality. J. Anim. Sci. 50:699-705. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1980.504699x
- MLC. 2003. An Industry Guide to Production of Heavier Pigs. Meat andLivestock Commission. Milton Keynes, U.K.
- NASS. 2006. Agricultural Statistics. USDA. National Agricultural Statistics Service. US Government Printing Office, Washing, D.C.
- Neely, J. D., Johnson, R. K. and Walters, L. E. 1979. Efficiency of gains and carcass characteristics of swine of two degrees of fatness slaughtered at three weights. J. Anim. Sci. 48:1049-1056. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1979.4851049x
- NRC. 1998. Nutrient Requirements of Swine. 10th ed. National Academy Press, Washington, D.C.
- Park, M. J. 2010. Feasibility of increasing the pig market weight: effects of market weight and dietary energy level on the productivity and carcass quality traits of finishing pig. Ph.D. Dissertation, Gyeongsang National University, Jinju, Korea.
- Park, M. J., Ha, D. M., Shin, H. W., Lee, S. H., Kim, W. K., Ha, S. H., Yang, H. S., Jeong, J. Y., Joo, S. T. and Lee, C. Y. 2007. Growth efficiency, carcass quality characteristics and profitability of 'high'-market weight pigs. J. Anim. Sci. Technol. (Kor.) 49:459-470. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2007.49.4.459
- Park, M. J., Jeong, J. Y., Ha, D. M., Park, J. W., Sim, T. G., Yang, H. S., Lee, C. Y., Joo, S. T. and Park, B. C. 2009a. Relationships of the slaughter weight to growth performance and meat quality traits in finishing pigs fed a low-energy diet. J. Anim. Sci. Techonl. (Kor.) 51:135-142. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2009.51.2.135
- Park, M. J., Jeong, J. Y., Ha, D. M., Han, J. C., Sim, T. G., Park, B. C., Park, G. B., Joo, S. T. and Lee, C. Y. 2009b. Effects of dietary energy level and slaughter weight on growth performance and grades and quality traits of the carcass in finishing pigs. J. Anim. Sci. Techonl. (Kor.) 51:143-154. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2009.51.2.143
- Piao, J. R., Tian, J. Z., Kim, B. G., Choi, Y. I., Kim, Y. Y. and Han, I. K. 2004. Effects of sex and market weight on performance, carcass characteristics and pork quality of market hogs. Asian-Aus. J. Anim. Sci. 17:1452-1458. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2004.1452
- Ryu, Y. C. and Kim, B. C. 2005. The relationship between muscle fiber characteristics, postmortem metabolic rate, and meat quality of pig longissimus dorsi muscle. Meat Sci. 71: 351-357. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2005.04.015
- SAS. 1996. SAS User's Guide: Statistics. SAS Inst., Inc., Cary, NC, USA.
- Schinckel, A. P., Mahan, D. C., Wiseman, T. G. and Einstein, M. E. 2008. Growth of protein, moisture, lipid, and ash of two genetic lines of barrows and gilts from twenty to one hundred twenty-five kilograms of body weight. J. Anim. Sci. 86:460-471. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2007-0625
- Unruh, J. A., Friesen, K. G., Stuewe, S. R., Dunn, B. L., Nelssen, J. L., Goodband, R. D. and Tokach, M. D. 1996. The influence of genotype, sex, and dietary lysine on pork subprimal cut yields and carcass quality of pigs fed to either 104 or 127 kilograms. J. Anim. Sci. 74:1274-1283. https://doi.org/10.2527/1996.7461274x
- Warner, R. D., Kauffman, R. G. and Greaser, M. L. 1997. Muscle protein changes post mortemin relation to pork quality traits. Meat Sci. 45:339-352. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(96)00116-7
- Wiseman, T. G., Mahan, D. C., Peters, J. C., Fastinger, N. D., Ching, S. and Kim, Y. Y. 2007. Tissue weights and body composition of two genetic lines of barrows and gilts from twenty to one hundred twenty-five kilograms of body weight. J. Anim. Sci. 85:1825-1835. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2006-407
- Evaluation of Un-fasted Pig Stomach Spent Feed as a Substitute in Finishing Pigs Diet vol.53, pp.6, 2011, https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2011.53.6.525
- Relationships of Muscle Fiber Characteristics to Dietary Energy Density, Slaughter Weight, and Muscle Quality Traits in Finishing Pigs vol.54, pp.3, 2012, https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2012.54.3.175
- Effects of Increasing Market Weight of Finishing Pigs on Backfat Thickness, Incidence of the 'Caky-fatty' Belly, Carcass Grade, and Carcass Quality Traits vol.55, pp.3, 2013, https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2013.55.3.195
- Effects of the Plane of Nutrition on Physicochemical Characteristics and Sensory Quality Traits of the Muscle in Finishing Pigs vol.34, pp.4, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2014.34.4.516
- Assessment of growth performance and meat quality of finishing pigs raised on the low plane of nutrition vol.57, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1186/s40781-015-0070-4
- muscle metabolic characteristics, and pork sensory quality in pigs of two sexes vol.98, pp.2, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1139/cjas-2017-0032