- Volume 38 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Genetic polymorphism in regulatory region of fatty acid binding protein 4 (FABP4) and its effect on carcass weight in Hanwoo steers
한우 지방산결합단백질 4(FABP4) 유전자 조절영역내 단일염기변이(SNP)와 도체형질간 연관성 분석
- Lee, Seung-Hwan (Hanwoo Experiment Station, National Institute of Animal Science, RDA) ;
- Kim, Nam-Kuk (National Agricultural Product Quality Management Service) ;
- Kim, Seung-Chang (Animal Genome & Bioinformatics Division, National Institute of Animal Science, RDA) ;
- Choi, Bong-Hwan (Animal Genome & Bioinformatics Division, National Institute of Animal Science, RDA) ;
- Heo, Kang-Neung (Poultry Science Division, National Institute of Animal Science, RDA) ;
- Lee, Chang-Soo (Kon-Kuk University) ;
- Kim, Oun-Hyun (Kon-Kuk University) ;
- Lee, Jun-Heon (Department of Animal Science, Chung Nam Nat'l University) ;
- Kim, Hyeong-Cheul (Hanwoo Experiment Station, National Institute of Animal Science, RDA) ;
- Hong, Seong-Koo (Hanwoo Experiment Station, National Institute of Animal Science, RDA)
- 이승환 (국립축산과학원 한우시험장) ;
- 김남국 (농산물품질관리원) ;
- 김승창 (국립축산과학원 동물유전체과) ;
- 최봉환 (국립축산과학원 동물유전체과) ;
- 허강녕 (국립축산과학원 가금과) ;
- 이창수 (건국대학교) ;
- 김언현 (건국대학교) ;
- 이준헌 (충남대학교 동물자원학과) ;
- 김형철 (국립축산과학원 한우시험장) ;
- 홍성구 (국립축산과학원 한우시험장)
- Received : 2011.10.13
- Accepted : 2011.12.18
- Published : 2011.12.31
The aim of this study was to identify the polymorphism on fatty acid binding protein (FABP4) gene promoter region and its association with carcass traits in Hanwoo. We performed PCR-direct sequencing of FABP4 promoter region to identify single nucleotide polymorphism (SNPs) using unrelated 24 Hanwoo bulls. Four SNPs (-298A>G, -472A>G, -887A>G, -862A>G) were detected in the promoter region and genotyped on 583 Hanwoo steers. A linear mixed model revealed an association of three SNPs (-298A>G, -472A>G and -862A>G) with carcass weight and marbling score in dominance model (P<0.05). The animals with AA genotypes for the three SNPs were heavier carcass weight (5 kg) than animals with GG genotypes in the statistical analysis. For the marbling score, the AA genotype was lower effect of marbling score (0.21) than GG genotypes. In conclusion, this study indicates an important role for three SNPs detected in promoter region of FABP4 in determining carcass weight and marbling score in Hanwoo.
- Cheong HS, Yoon D, Kim LH, Park BL, Lee HW, Han CS, Kim EM, Cho H, Chung ER, Cheong IJ, Shin HD. 2007. Titin-cap (TCAP) polymorphisms associated with marbling score of beef. Meat Sci. 77: 257-263. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2007.03.014
- Cho S, Park TS, Yoon D, Cheong HS, Namgoong S, Park BL, Lee HW, Han CS, Kim EM, Cheong IC, Kim H, Shin HD. 2008. Identification of genetic polymorphisms in FABP3 and FABP4 and putative association with back fat thickness in Korean native cattle. BMB Reports 41: 29-34. https://doi.org/10.5483/BMBRep.2008.41.1.029
- Dekker JCM. 2004. Commercial application of marker and gene assisted selection in livestock: Strategies and lessons. J. Anim. Sci. 82: E313-E328.
- Estelle T, Perez-Enciso M, Mercade A, Varona L, Alves E, Sanchez A, Folch JM. 2006. Characteization of the porcine FABP5 gene and its association with the FAT1 QTL in an Iberian by Landrace cross. Anim. Genet. 37(6): 589-591. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2052.2006.01535.x
- Gerbens F, de Koning DJ, Harders F, Meuwissen THE, Janss LLG, Groenen MA, Veerkamp JH, Van Arendonk JAM, Te Pas MFW. 2000. The effect adipocyte and heart fatty acid-binding protein genes on intramuscular fat and backfat content in Meishan crossbred pigs. J. Anim. Sci. 78: 552-559.
- Gilmour AR, Gogel BJ, Cullis BR, Thompson R. 2006. ASREML User Guide. Release 2.0. VSN International Ltd., Hemel Hempstead, HP1 1ES, UK.
- Hayes BJ, Bowman PJ, Chamberlain AJ, Goddard ME. 2009. Invited review: Genomic selection in dairy cattle: Progress and challenges. J. Diary.Sci. 92: 433-443. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2008-1646
- Heo KN, Kim NK, Lee SH, Kim NY, Jeon JT, Park EW, Oh SJ, Kim TH, Seong HH, Yoon DH. 2011. Association between the polymorphism of the fatty acid binding protein 5 gene within the BTA14 QTL region and carcass/meat quality traits in Hanwoo. J. Anim. Sci. & Technol. 53(4): 311-317. [in Korean] https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2011.53.4.311
- Hocquette JF, Jurie C, Ueda Y, Boulesteix P, Bauchart D, Pethick DW. 2003. The relationship between muscle metabolic pathways and marbling of beef. Progressin Research on Energy and Protein Metabolism, pp. 513-516, Wageningen, Netherlands.
- Hwang JM, Kim S, Choi YH, Yoon HB, Park CJ. 2008. Genetic parameter estimation of carcass traits of Hanwoo steers. J. Anim. Sci & Technol. 50(5): 613-620. [in Korean] https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2008.50.5.613
- JMGA. 1988. New beef carcass grading standards. Japan Meat Grading Association, Tokyo, Japan.
- Kong HS, Oh JD, Lee JH, Yoon DH, Choi YH, Cho BW, Lee HK, Jeon GJ. 2007. Association of sequence variations in DGAT 1 gene with economic traits in Hanwoo (Korea cattle). Asian-Aust. Anim. Sci. 20: 817-820.
- Krieg P, Feil S, Furstenberger G, Bowden GT. 1993. Tumorspecific overexpression of a novel keratinocyte lipidbinding protein: identification and characterization of a cloned sequence activated during multistage carcinogenesis in mouse skin. Biol. Chem. 268: 17362-17369.
- Lande R, Thompson R. 1990. Efficiency of marker assisted selection in the improvement of quantitative traits. Genetics. 124: 743-756.
- Lee SH, Park EW, Cho YM, Kim KH, Oh YK, Lee JH, Lee CS, Oh SJ, Yoon DH. 2006. Lipogenesis gene expression profiling in longissimus dorsi on the early and late fattening stage of Hanwoo. J. Anim. Sci. & Technol. 48: 913-920. [in Korean]
- Lee SH, Park EW, Cho YM, Kim SK, Lee JH, Jeon JT, Lee CS, Im SK, Oh SJ, Thompson JM, Yoon D. 2007 Identification of differentially expressed genes related to intramuscular fat development in the early and late fattening stages of hanwoo steers. Biochem. Mol. Biol. 40(5): 757-764. https://doi.org/10.5483/BMBRep.2007.40.5.757
- Lee SH, van der Werf JHJ, Lee SH, Park EW, Oh SJ, Gibson JP, Thompson JM. 2010. Genetic polymorphisms of the bovine Fatty acid binding protein 4 gene are significantly associated with marbling and carcass weight in Hanwoo (Korean Cattle). Anim. Genet. 41(4): 442-444.
- Lee SH. 2011. Genome analysis to identify QTL and genes affecting carcass traits in Hanwoo (Korean cattle). The University of New England, Ph.D thesis.
- Liu Z, Sun HX, Zhang YW, Li YF, Zuo J, Meng Y, Fang FD. 2004. Effect of SNPs in protein kinase Cz gene on gene expression in the reporter gene detection system. World J. Gastroenterol. 10: 2357-2360.
- Luis H, Gutierrez C, Christian L, Carsten H, Martin R, Thorsten H, Heinz R, Friedrich S, Christian L. 2002. Solution structure and backbone dynamics of human epidermal-type fatty acid-binding protein (E-FABP). Biochem. 364: 725-737. https://doi.org/10.1042/BJ20020039
- Maeda K, Uysal KT, Makowski L, Go"rgu"n CZ, Atsumi G, Parker RA, Bru¨ning J, Hertzel AV, Bernlohr DA, Hotamisligil GS. 2003. Role of the fatty acid binding protein mal1 in obesity and insulin resistance. Diabetes 52: 300-307.
- Meuwissen THE, Goddard ME. 2001. Prediction of identity by descent probabilities from marker-haplotypes. Genet. Sel. Evol. 33: 605-634. https://doi.org/10.1186/1297-9686-33-6-605
- Stephens M, Smith NJ, Donnelly P. 2001. A new statistical method for haplotype reconstruction from population data. American Journal of Human Genetics 68: 978-989. https://doi.org/10.1086/319501
- Tatum J, Smith C, Carpenter Z. 1982. Interrelationships between marbling, subcutaneous fat thickness, and cooked beef palatability. J. Anim. Sci. 43: 777-784.
- USDA. 1989. Official united states standards for grades of beef carcases. Agric. Marketing Serv. USDA, Washington, USA.
- Wang YH, Byrne KA, Reverter A, Harper GS, Taniguchi M, McWilliam SM, Mannen H, Oyama K, Lehnert SA. 2005 Transcriptional profiling of skeletal muscle tissue from two breeds of cattle. Mamm Genome 16: 201-210. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00335-004-2419-8