- Volume 38 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Study on the Chinese cabbage producers' using patterns about a new variety of seed
배추 생산자들의 신종자 이용 행태에 관한 연구
- Hong, Seung-Jee (Department of Agricultural Economics, Chungnam National University) ;
- Kim, Yong-Gyu (Department of Agricultural Economics, Chungnam National University)
- Received : 2011.08.09
- Accepted : 2011.08.19
- Published : 2011.09.30
Chinese cabbage is a staple food to Korean, which has the high degree of self-sufficiency and worldwide breeding technique in the aspect of seed. However, the producers' competitiveness has been decreasing after the agricultural product market was open. In order to cope with this problem, the government introduced some policies for promoting seed industry in 2007 to reflect producer's needs for high quality seeds of Chinese cabbage. These policies will be a good opportunity for producers to secure and promote the producers' competitiveness against low-price importing Chinese cabbage. In this aspect it is very important to know how well these policies are established and what Chinese cabbage farmers want in regard to a new variety of Chinese cabbage seed. This study was carried out to look over the Chinese cabbage producers' using pattern about a new variety of seed and show some directions for efficient way of diffusion of a new variety of seed to producers using a survey research. The main results are as follows. The producers thought the characteristics of a new variety of seed most important factor compared to other factors such as the seed price, and easiness of cabbage sales when they choose a seed. Also, the 65% of respondents were willing to accept a new variety of seed and thought the government support for an exhibition field and diffusing public information about a new variety of Chinese cabbage seed are important in accepting a new variety of seed.
Supported by : 농림수산식품기술기획평가원
- Choo YS. 1980. An economic analysis of cultivating a new variety of rice seed. Journal of Rural Development 3(2): 18-27. (in Korean).
- Hyun BH, Choung H, Lim JH. 1996. Economic impact analysis of potato microtubers' supply. Korean Journal of Agricultural Management and Policy 23(2): 199-212. (in Korean).
- Kim BK, Yeo JH. 2002. An economic analysis of potato microtuber using contingent valuation method. Life Science and Natural Resources Research 10: 85-107. (in Korean).
- Korean Seed Association. http://www.kosaseed.or.kr.
- Ministry of Food, Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries (MIFAFF). 2009. 2020 Government Policy for Promoting Seed Industry. (in Korean).
- Park HT, Ko KD. 2009. Estimation of horticulture plants royalty and the direction of plant breeding. Journal of Rural Development 32(4): 17-33. (in Korean).
- Park HT, Lee DS. 2002. The situation of vegetable seed market and the scheme for enlarging vegetable seed export. Journal of Rural Development 25(2): 1-19. (in Korean).
- Park KH, Park HT, Chung CG. 2010. Recent Trends of the Seed Industry and a Strategy to Forster Domestic Seed Companies. Korea Rural Economic Institute P129. (in Korean).
- Shin JS. 2010. Finding Answers for a Strong Seed Breeding Country in World Seed Market. Rural Development Administration, Suwon, Korea. (in Korean).
- The Compilation Committee of the recent history of vegetable seed industry in Korea. 2008. The Recent History of Vegetable Seed Industry in Korea. Seoul National University Press, Seoul, Korea. (in Korean).