- Volume 44 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Calibrating Capacitance Sensor for Determining Water Content of Volcanic-Ash Soils
화산회토양의 수분함량측정을 위한 Capacitance Soil Moisture Sensor의 Calibration
- Received : 2011.05.12
- Accepted : 2011.06.16
- Published : 2011.06.30
Capacitance soil moisture sensor is extensively used by soil research and irrigation management with its convenience and accuracy. This experiment was conducted to evaluate the acceptability of capacitance soil moisture sensor, named EnviroSCAN made by Sentek Ltd., in Jeju Island where volcanic ash soils are widely distributed, and to calibrate it to various soils with different amount of soil organic matter. For sensor calibration equation of volcanic ash soils, a logarithm function is better than a typical power function of non-volcanic ash soils. So there are possibilities of under evaluated in soil water contents in very wet and very dry conditions by using typical power function with volcanic ash soil areas. We suggested practical coefficients of typical calibration equation for using capacitance sensor in volcanic ash soils, also suggested equations for estimation of them with soil organic matter contents. The measurement of soil water content with a capacitance sensor can be affected by some soil characteristics such as porosity, soil organic matter content, EC, etc. So those factors should be controlled for improving the accuracy of measurement.
Capacitance soil moisture sensor;Calibration;Volcanic ash soil
- Bell, J.P., T.J. Dean, and M.G. Hodnett. 1987. Soil moisture measurement by an improved capacitance technique, part II. Field techniques, evaluation and calibration. J. Hydrol. 93:79-90. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-1694(87)90195-8
- Fares, A. and A.K. Alva. 2000. Evaluation of capacitance probes for optimal irrigation of citrus through soil moisture monitoring in an entisol profile. Irrigation Sci. 19:57-64. https://doi.org/10.1007/s002710050001
- Fares, A.H. and H. Jenkins. 2007. Temperature-dependent scaled frequency: Improved accuracy of multisensor capacitance probes. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. 71:894. https://doi.org/10.2136/sssaj2006.0420
- Gardner, C., T. Dean, and J. Cooper. 1998. Soil water content measurement with a high-frequency capacitance sensor. J. Agric. Eng. Res. 71:395-403. https://doi.org/10.1006/jaer.1998.0338
- Geesing, D., M. Bachmaier, and U. Schmidhalter. 2004. Field calibration of a capacitance soil water probe in heterogeneous fields. Aust. J. Soil Res. 42:289-299. https://doi.org/10.1071/SR03051
- Jabro, J., B. Leib, and A. Jabro. 2005. Estimating soil water content using site-specific calibration of capacitance measurements from sentek enviroscan systems. Appl. Eng. Agric. 21:393-399. https://doi.org/10.13031/2013.18458
- Oh, Y.T., D.S. Oh, K.C. Song, J.S. Shin, and J.N. Im. 1998. Application of dielectric sensor for soil moisture measurement. Korean J. Soc. Soil Sci. Fert. 31:85-94.
- Paltineanu, I. and J. Starr. 1997. Real-time soil water dynamics using multisensor capacitance probes: Laboratory calibration. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. 61:1576-1585. https://doi.org/10.2136/sssaj1997.03615995006100060006x
- Polyakov, V., A. Fares, and M. Ryder. 2005. Calibration of a capacitance system for measuring water content of tropical soil. Vadose Zone J 4:1004. https://doi.org/10.2136/vzj2005.0028
- Regalado, C. 2004. A physical interpretation of logarithmic TDR calibration equations of volcanic soils and their solid fraction permittivity based on Lichtenecker's mixing formulae. Geoderma 123:41-50. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.geoderma.2004.01.026
- Robinson, D., C. Gardner, J. Evans, J. Cooper, M. Hodnett, and J. Bell. 1998. The dielectric calibration of capacitance probes for soil hydrology using an oscillation frequency response model. Hydrol. Earth Syst. Sci. 2:111-120. https://doi.org/10.5194/hess-2-111-1998
- Roth, K., R. Schulin, H. Fluhler, and W. Attinger. 1990. Calibration of time domain reflectometry for water content measurement using a composite dielectric approach. Wat. Resour. Res. 26:2267-2273.
- Topp, G., J. Davis, and A.P. Annan. 1980. Electromagnetic determination of soil water content: Measurements in coaxial transmission lines. Wat. Resour. Res. 16:574-582. https://doi.org/10.1029/WR016i003p00574
- Influences of Addition of Jellyfish Powder to Bed Soil and Bacterial Community Structure of Bed Soil vol.45, pp.2, 2012, https://doi.org/10.7745/KJSSF.2012.45.2.227
- Selection of Nutrient Solution Strength and Media in Potting Without Nutrient Solution Recycling in Gerbera 'Sunny Lemon' vol.44, pp.6, 2011, https://doi.org/10.7745/KJSSF.2011.44.6.1300