- Volume 44 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Biochemical Methane Potential of Agricultural Byproduct in Greenhouse Vegetable Crops
국내 주요 시설채소 부산물의 메탄 생산 퍼텐셜
- Shin, Kook-Sik (Climate Change Research Center, Hankyong National University) ;
- Kim, Chang-Hyun (Biogas Research Center, Hankyong National University) ;
- Lee, Sang-Eun (Climate Change Research Center, Hankyong National University) ;
- Yoon, Young-Man (Biogas Research Center, Hankyong National University)
- Received : 2011.11.20
- Accepted : 2011.12.15
- Published : 2011.12.31
Number of crop residues generated at large amount in agriculture can be utilized as substrate in methane production by anaerobic digestion. Greenhouse vegetable crop cultivation that adopting intensive agricultural system require the heating energy during winter season, meanwhile produce waste biomass source for the methane production. The purpose of this study was to investigate the methane production potential of greenhouse vegetable crop residues and to estimate material and energy yield in greenhouse system. Cucumber, tomato, and paprika as greenhouse vegetable crop were used in this study. Fallen fruit, leaf, and stem residues were collected at harvesting period from the farmhouses (Anseong, Gyeonggi, Korea) adopting an intensive greenhouse cultivation system. Also the amount of fallen vegetables and plant residues, and planting density of each vegetable crop were investigated. Chemical properties of vegetable waste biomass were determined, and theoretical methane potentials were calculated using Buswell's formula from the element analysis data. Also, BMP (Biochemical methane potential) assay was carried out for each vegetable waste biomass in mesophilic temperature (
Supported by : 농촌진흥청
- APHA. 1998. Standard Methods for the Examination of Water and Wastewater. 20th ed. American Public Health Association, Washington, DC, USA.
- Bauer, A., C. Leonhartsberger, P. Bösch, B. Amon, A. Friedl, and T. Amon. 2009. Analysis of methane yields from energy crops and agricultural by-products and estimation of energy potential from sustainable crop rotation system in EU-27. Clean Techn Environ Policy. 12:153-161.
- Beuvink, J.M., S.F. Spoelstra, and R.J. Hogendrop. 1992. An automated method ofr measuring the time course of gas production of feedstuffs incubated with buffered rumen fluid. Neth. J. Agri. Sci. 40:401-407.
- Boyle, W.C. 1976. Energy recovery from sanitary landflls - a review. In: Schlegel, H.G. and Barnea, S. (Hrsg.): Microbial Energy Conversion: Oxford, Pergamon Press.
- Buswell, A.M. and H.F. Muller. 1952. Mechanism of methane fermentation. Ind. Eng. Chem. 44: 550-552. https://doi.org/10.1021/ie50507a033
- Chynoweth, D.P., C.E. Turick, J.M. Owens, D.E. Jerger, and M.W. Peck. 1993. Biochemical methane potential of biomass waste feedstocks. Biomass and Bioenergy. Vol. 5. Issue 1:95-111. https://doi.org/10.1016/0961-9534(93)90010-2
- Gunaseelan, V.N. 1997. Anaerobic digestion of biomass for methane production: A review. Biomass and Bioenergy. Vol. 13. No. 1/2:83-114. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0961-9534(97)00020-2
- Hansen, T.L., J.E. Schmidt, I. Angelidaki, E. Marca, J. Cour Jansen, H. Mosboek, and T.H. Christensen. 2004. Method for determination of methane potentials of solid organic easte. Waste Management. 24:393-400. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.wasman.2003.09.009
- Hashimoto, A.G. 1986. Pretreatment of wheat of straw for fermentation to methane. Biotechnology and Bioengineering. 28:247-255. https://doi.org/10.1002/bit.260280215
- IEA Bioenergy task 37. 2011. Biogas from energy crop digestion (http://www.iea-biogas.net/_content/publications/publications.php).
- Kim, S.H., H.C. Kim, C.H. Kim, and Y.M. Yoon. 2010. The measurement of biochemical methane potential in several organic waste resources.
- Knol, W., M.M. van der Most, and J. de Waart. 1978. Be Waart. Biogas production by anaerobic digestion of fruit and vegetable waste. J. Sci. Fd. Agric. 29:822-830. https://doi.org/10.1002/jsfa.2740290913
- Lim, J.H. 1980. Material test for the methane production of industrial wastes. RDA. Report of National Academy of Agricultural Science. Nongyeon-Nongyeol-2:596-602 (in Korean).
- Lim, J.H. and Y.D. Park. 1982a. The investigation of methane production by agricultural byproducts. RDA. Report of National Academy of Agricultural Science. Nongyeon-Nonghwa-14:205-211 (in Korean).
- Lim, J.H. and Y.D. Park. 1982b. The investigation of methane production by industrial wastes. RDA. Report of National Academy of Agricultural Science. Nongyeon-Nonghwa-14: 212-219 (in Korean).
- Lim, J.H. and Y.D. Park. 1983. The investigation of methane production by agricultural byproducts. RDA. Report of National Academy of Agricultural Science. Nongyeon-Nonghwa-15:102-113 (in Korean).
- ME. 2011. 2010 Waste energy statistics; The renewable energy production facility using organic wastes. (in Korean).
- MKE. 2008. The 3rd basic plan for the use and development of new-renewable energy (2009-2030). (in Korean).
- RDA. 2009. The study to re-stablish the amount and major compositions of manure from livestock. Suwon. Korea.
- Sorensen, A.H., M. Winther-Nielsen, and B.K. Ahring. 1991. Kinetics of lactate, acetate and propionate in unadapted and lactate-adapted thermophilic, anaerobic sewage sludge: the influence of sludge adaptation for start-up of thermophilic UASB-reactors. Micro biol. biotechnol. 34:823-827.
- Sharma, S.K., I.M. Mishra, M.P. Sharma, and J.S. Saini. 1989. Effect of particle size on biogas generation from biomass residues. Biomass. Vol. 17. Issue 4:251-263.
- Stewart, D.J., M.J. Bogue, and D.M. Badger. 1984. Biogas production form crops and organic wastes. 2. Results of continuous digestion tests. New Zealand J. Sci. 27:285-294.
- Weiland, P. 2003. Production and energetic use of biogas from energy crops and wastes in Germany. Applied Biochemistry Biotechnology 109:263-74. https://doi.org/10.1385/ABAB:109:1-3:263
- Williams, A., M. Amat-Marco, and M.D.Collins. 1996. Pylogenetic analysis of Butyrivibrio strains reveals three distinct groups of species within the Clostridium subphylm of gram-positive bacteria. Int. J. Syst. Bacterol. 46:195-199. https://doi.org/10.1099/00207713-46-1-195
- Yoon, Y.M., C.H. Kim, Y.J. Kim, and H.T. Park, 2009a. The economical evaluation of biogas production facility of pig waste. Kor. J. Agr. Manag. Pol. 36(1):137-157.
- Study for Clean Energy Farming System by Mass and Energy Balance Analysis in the Controlled Cultivation of Vegetable Crop (Cucumber) vol.45, pp.2, 2012, https://doi.org/10.7745/KJSSF.2012.45.2.280
- Effects of Substrate to Inoculum Ratio on Biochemical Methane Potential in Thermal Hydrolysate of Poultry Slaughterhouse Sludge vol.35, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5338/KJEA.2016.35.2.12