- Volume 47 Issue 3
Bacterial Community Profiling during the Manufacturing Process of Traditional Soybean Paste by Pyrosequencing Method
Pyrosequencing을 이용한 전통된장 제조과정 중 세균군집구조의 분석
- Kim, Yong-Sang (Department of Biological Sciences, Chonbuk National University) ;
- Jeong, Do-Yeon (Sunchang Research Center for Fermentation Microbes (SRCM)) ;
- Hwang, Young-Tae (Woorichon) ;
- Uhm, Tai-Boong (Department of Biological Sciences, Chonbuk National University)
- Received : 2011.08.26
- Accepted : 2011.09.28
- Published : 2011.09.30
In order to evaluate the diversity and change of bacterial population during the manufacturing process of traditional soybean paste (doenjang), bacterial communities were analyzed using 16S rRNA gene-based pyrosequencing. In rice straw, the most important inoculum source for fermentation, the bacterial sequences with a relative abundance greater than 1% were assigned to four phyla, Proteobacteria (71%), Actinobacteria (20.6%), Bacteroidetes (4.2%), and Firmicutes (1.3%). Unlike bacterial community composition of rice straw, a different pattern of bacterial population in meju was observed with predominantly high abundance (99.1%) of Firmicutes. Phylum composition in young doenjang was almost same as that of meju. Major genera in young doenjang were Bacillus (81.3%), Clostridium (6.9%) and Enterococcus (6.3%) and the predominant species among bacterial population was B. amyloliquefaciens (63.6%). Abundance of the phylum Firmicutes in mature doenjang was 99.98%, which was even higher value than those in meju and young doenjang. Predominant species in mature doenjang were B. amyloliquefaciens (67.3%), B. atrophaeus (12.7%), B. methylotrophicus (6.5%), B. mojavensis (3.2%), and B. subtilis. (2.5%), which were also identified as major species of the microbial flora in meju. These results suggested that rice straw was a primary source for supplement of Bacillus species in manufacturing the traditional doenjang and that some species of Bacillus strains were mainly involved in the fermentation process of traditional doenjang.
Bacillus;bacteria;microbial community;pyrosequencing;soybean paste
Supported by : 농림수산식품기술기획평가원
- Ahn, Y.S., Y.S. Kim, and D.H. Shin. 2006. Isolation, identification, and fermentation characteristics of Bacillus sp. with high protease activity from traditional cheonggukjang. Korean J. Food Sci. Technol. 38, 82-87.
- Cho, S.J., S.H. Oh, R.D. Pridmore, M.A. Juillerat, and C.H. Lee. 2003. Purification and characterization of proteases from Bacillus amyloliquefaciens isolated from traditional soybean fermentation starter. J. Agric. Food. Chem. 51, 7664-7670. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf0259314
- Choi, K.K., C.B. Cui, S.S. Han, and D.S. Lee. 2003. Isolation, identification and growth characteristics of main strain related to meju fermentation. J. Kor. Soc. Food. Sci. Nutr. 32. 818-824. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2003.32.6.818
- Chun. J., J.H. Lee, Y. Jung, M. Kim, S. Kim, B.K. Kim, and Y.W. Lim. 2007. EzTaxon: a web-based tool for the identification of prokaryotes based on 16S ribosomal RNA gene sequences. Int. J. sys. Evol. Microbiol. 57, 2259-2261. https://doi.org/10.1099/ijs.0.64915-0
- Dischinger, J., M. Josten, C. Szekat, H.Sahl, and G. Bierbaum. 2009. Production of the novel two-peptide lantibiotic lichenicidin by Bacillus licheniformis DSM 13. PLos One 4, 1-11. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0005361
- Good, I.J. 1953. The population frequencies of species and the estimation of population parameters. Biometrika 40, 237-264. https://doi.org/10.1093/biomet/40.3-4.237
- Grangemard, I., J. Wallach, R. Maget-Dana, and F. Peypoux. 2001. Lichenysin: A more efficient cation chelator than surfactin. Appl. Biochem. Biotechnol. 90, 199-210. https://doi.org/10.1385/ABAB:90:3:199
- Jeong, J.Y., H.D. Park, K.H. Lee, H.W. Weon, and J.O. Ka. Microbial community analysis and identification of alternative host-specific fecal indicators in fecal and river water samples using pyrosequencing. J. Microbiol. 49, 585-594. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12275-011-0530-6
- Jung, S.S., J.I. Choi, W.H. Joo, H.H. Suh, A.S. Na, Y.K. Cho, J.Y. Moon, K.C. Ha, D.H. Paik, and D.O. Kang. 2009. Characterization and purification of the bacteriocin produced by Bacillus licheniformis isolated from soybean sauce. J. Life Sci. 19, 994-1002. https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2009.19.7.994
- Kim, B.S., B.K. Kim, J.H. Lee, M. Kim, Y.M. Lim, and J. Chun. 2008. Rapid phylogenetic dissection of prokaryotic community structure in tidal flat using pyrosequencing. J. Microbiol. 46, 357-363. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12275-008-0071-9
- Kim, Y.S., M.C. Kim, S.W Kwon, S.J Kim, I.C. Park, J.O. Ka, and H.Y. Weon. 2011. Analysis of bacterial communities in Meju, a Korean traditional fermented soybean bricks, by cultivation-based and pyrosequencing methods. J. Microbiol. 49, 340-348.
- Kim, Y.S., S.H. Yun, D.Y. Jeong, K.S. Hahn, and T.B. Uhm. 2010. Isolation of Bacillus licheniformis producing antimicrobial agents against Bacillus cereus and its properties. Kor. J. Microbiol. 46, 270-277.
- Kim, T.W., J.H. Lee, M.H. Park, and H.Y. Kim, 2010. Analysis of bacterial and fungal communities in Japanese and Chinese soybean pastes using nested PCR-DGGE. Curr. Microbiol. 60, 315-320. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00284-009-9542-4
- Kim, T.W., J.H. Lee, S.E. Kim, M.H. Park, H.C. Chang, and H.Y. Kim. 2009. Analysis of microbial communities in doenjang, a Korean fermented soybean paste, using nested PCR-denaturing gradient gel electrophoresis. Int. J. Food Microbiol. 131, 265-271. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijfoodmicro.2009.03.001
- Koumoutsi, A., X-H. Chen, J. Vater, and R. Borriss. 2007. DegU and YczE positively regulate the synthesis of Bacillomycin D by Bacillus amyloliquefaciens strain FZB42. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 73, 6953-6964. https://doi.org/10.1128/AEM.00565-07
- Lane, D.J. 1991. 16S/23S rRNA sequencing, p. 115-148. In E. Stackebrandt and M. Goodfellow (eds.), Nucleic acid techniques in bacterial systematic, John Wiley and Sons, Chister, England.
- Li, W. and A. Godzik. 2006. Cd-hit: a fast program for clustering and comparing large sets of protein or nucleotide sequences. Bioinformatics 22, 1658-1659. https://doi.org/10.1093/bioinformatics/btl158
- Margulies, M., M. Egholm, W.E. Altman, S. Attiya, J.S. Bade, L.A. Bemben et al. 2005. Genome sequencing in microfabricated high-density picoliter reactors. Nature 437, 376-380. https://doi.org/10.1038/nature03959
- Morohoshi, T., Y. Nakamura, G. Yamazaki, A. Ishida, N.Kato, and T. Ikeda. 2007. The plant pathogen Pantoea ananatis produces N-acylhomoserine lactone and causes center rot disease of onion by quorum sensing. J. Bacteriol. 189, 8333-8338. https://doi.org/10.1128/JB.01054-07
- Myers, E.W. and W. Miller. 1988. Optimal alignments in linear space. Comput. Appl. Biosci.:CABIOS 4, 11-17.
- Parameswaran, P., R. Jalili, L. Tao, S. Shokralla, B. Gharizadeh, M. Ronaghi et al. 2007. A pyrosequencing-tailored nucleotide barcode design unveils opportunities for large-scale sample multiplexing. Nucleic Acids Res. 35, e130. https://doi.org/10.1093/nar/gkm760
- Park, H.K., B. Gil., and J.K. Kim. 2003. Characteristics of taste components of commercial kochujang. Korean J. Food Sci. Technol. 12, 119-121.
- Roh, S.W., K.H. Kim, Y.D. Nam, H.W. Chang, E.J. Park, and J.W. Bae. 2010. Investigation of archaeal and bacterial diversity in fermented seafood using barcoded pyrosequencing. ISME J. 4, 1-16. https://doi.org/10.1038/ismej.2009.83
- Roper, M.C. 2011. Pantoea stewartii subsp. stewartii: lessons learned from a xylem-dwelling pathogen of sweet corn. Mol. Plant Pathol. 12, 628-637. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1364-3703.2010.00698.x
- Ryu, J.C., S.W. Kwon, J.S. Kim, J.S. Suh, B.G. Jung, and S.S. Choi. 2002. Analysis of microbial community structure in soil and crop root system. Korean J. Soil Sci. Fert. 35, 118-126.
- Ryu, H.S., M.Y. Shon, S.J. Cho, S.K. Park, and S.W. Lee. 2007. Characterization of antibacterial substance-producing Bacillus subtilis isolated from traditional Doenjang. J. Korean Soc. Appl. Biol. Chem. 50, 87-94.
- Schloss, P.D., S.L. Westcott, T. Ryabin, J.R. Hall, M. hartmann, E.B. Hallister, R.A. Lesniewski, B.B. Oakley, D.H. Parks, C.J. Robinson, J.W. Sahl, B. Stres, G.G. Thallinger, D.J. van Horn, and C.F. Weber. 2009. Introducing mothur: open-source, platform-independent, community-supported software for describing and comparing microbial communities. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 75, 7537-7541. https://doi.org/10.1128/AEM.01541-09
- Scholz, R., K.J. Molohon, J. Nachyigall, J. Vater, A.L. Markley, R.D. Sussmuth, D.A. Mitchell, and R. Borriss. 2011. Plantazolicin, a novel microcin B17/streptolysin S-like natural product from Bacillus amyloliquefaciens FZB42. J. Bacteriol. 193, 215-224. https://doi.org/10.1128/JB.00784-10
- Secondary planning report for rural-based industry promotion project. 2008. Ministry of Knowledge Economy. Republic of Korea.
- Sutyak, K.E., R.E. Wirawan, A.A. Aroutcheva, and M.L. Chikindas. 2008. Isolation of the Bacillus subtilis antimicrobial peptide subtilosin from the dairy product-derived Bacillus amyloliquefaciens. J. Appl Microbiol. 104, 1067-1074. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2672.2007.03626.x
- Yakimov, M.M., K.N. Timmis, V. Wray, and H.H. Fredrickson. 1995. Characterization of a new lipopeptide surfactant produced by thermotolerant and halotolerant subsurface Bacillus licheniformis BAS50. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 61, 1706-1713.
- Yoo, J.Y., H.G. Kim, and W.J. Kim. 1998. Physico-chemical and microbiological changes of traditional meju during fermentation in Kangweondo area. Korean J. Food Sci. Technol. 30, 908-915.