- Volume 47 Issue 3
Production and Properties of Hemicellulases by an Isolate of Microbacterium sp.
Microbacterium sp. 분리균의 Hemicellulases 생산성과 효소특성
- Yoon, Ki-Hong (Department of Food Science & Biotechnology, Woosong University)
- 윤기홍 (우송대학교 식품생물과학과)
- Received : 2011.09.14
- Accepted : 2011.09.20
- Published : 2011.09.30
A bacterium producing the extracellular mannanase and xylanase was isolated from Korean farm soil by successive subcultures in a minimal medium supplemented with palm kernel meal (PKM) and rice bran. The isolate YB-1106 showed 98% similarity with Microbacterium arabinogalactanolyticum on the basis of 16S rRNA gene sequences. The additional carbohydrates including locust bean gum (LBG) and PKM increased the mannanase productivity of the YB-1106, while the xylanase productivity of the isolate was increased by wheat bran, oat spelt xylan, rice bran and xylose. Particularly, maximum mannanase and xylanase activities were obtained in the culture filtrate of tryptic soy broth supplemented with 1% LBG or 2% wheat bran, respectively. Both enzyme activities were produced at stationary growth phase. The mannanase of culture supernatant was the most active at
- Berlin, A., V. Maximenko, N. Gilkes, and J. Saddler. 2007. Optimization of enzyme complexes for lignocellulose hydrolysis. Biotechnol. Bioeng. 97, 287-296. https://doi.org/10.1002/bit.21238
- Franco, P.F., H.M. Ferreira, and E.X. Filho. 2004. Production and characterization of hemicellulase activities from Trichoderma harzianum strain T4. Biotechnol. Appl. Biochem. 40, 255-259. https://doi.org/10.1042/BA20030161
- Kansoh, A.L. and Z.A. Nagieb. 2004. Xylanase and mannanase enzymes from Streptomyces galbus NR and their use in biobleaching of softwood kraft pulp. Antonie van Leeuwenhoek 85, 103-114. https://doi.org/10.1023/B:ANTO.0000020281.73208.62
- Kweun, M.A., H.S. Kim, M.S. Lee, J.H. Choi, and K.H. Yoon. 2003. Mannanase production by a soybean isolate, Bacillus subtilis WL-7. Kor. J. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 31, 277-283.
- Liu, M.Q. and G.F. Liu. 2008. Expression of recombinant Bacillus licheniformis xylanase A in Pichia pastoris and xylooligosaccharides released from xylans by it. Protein Expr. Purif. 57, 101-107. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pep.2007.10.020
- Meng, X., B.A. Slominski, C.M. Nyachoti, L.D. Campbell, and W. Guenter. 2005. Degradation of cell wall polysaccharides by combinations of carbohydrase enzymes and their effect on nutrient utilization and broiler chicken performance. Poult. Sci. 84, 37-47. https://doi.org/10.1093/ps/84.1.37
- Miller, M.L., R. Blum, W.E. Glennon, and A.L. Burton. 1960. Measurement of carboxymethylcellulase activity. Anal. Biochem. 2, 127-132.
- Nagar, S., V.K. Gupta, D. Kumar, L. Kumar, and R.C. Kuhad. 2010. Production and optimization of cellulase-free, alkali-stable xylanase by Bacillus pumilus SV-85S in submerged fermentation. J. Ind. Microbiol. 37, 71-83. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10295-009-0650-8
- Oh, H.W., S.Y. Heo, D.Y. Kim, D.S. Park, K.S. Bae, and H.Y. Park. 2008. Biochemical characterization and sequence analysis of a xylanase produced by an exo-symbiotic bacterium of Gryllotalpa orientalis, Cellulosimicrobium sp. HY-12. Antonie van Leeuwenhoek 93, 437-442. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10482-007-9210-2
- Okeke, B.C. and J. Lu. 2011. Characterization of a defined cellulolytic and xylanolytic bacterial consortium for bioprocessing of cellulose and hemicelluloses. Appl. Biochem. Biotechnol. 163, 869-881. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12010-010-9091-0
Politz, O., M. Krah, K.K. Thomsen, and R. Borriss. 2000. A highly thermostable endo-(1,4)-
$\beta$-mannanase from the marine bacterium Rhodothermus marinus. Appl. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 53, 715-721. https://doi.org/10.1007/s002530000351
- Sadhu, S., P. Saha, S. Mayilraj, and T.K. Maiti. 2011. Lactoseenhanced cellulase production by Microbacterium sp. isolated from fecal matter of zebra (Equus zebra). Curr. Microbiol. 62, 1050-1055. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00284-010-9816-x
- Song, E.K., H. Kim, H.K. Sung, and J. Cha. 2002. Cloning and characterization of a levanbiohydrolase from Microbacterium laevaniformans ATCC 15953. Gene 291, 45-55. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0378-1119(02)00630-3
Srinivasan, S., M.K. Kim, G. Sathiyaraj, Y.J. Kim, S.K. Jung, J.G. In, and D.C. Yang. 2009. Microbacterium soli sp. nov., an
$\alpha$-glucosidase-producing bacterium isolated from soil of a ginseng field. Int. J. Syst. Evol. Microbiol. 60, 478-483.
- Sun, Y., B. Han, W. Liu, J. Zhang, and X. Gao. 2007. Substrate induction and statistical optimization for the production of chitosanase from Microbacterium sp. OU01. Bioresour. Technol. 98, 1548-1553. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biortech.2006.07.020
- Sun, Y., W. Liu, B. Han, J. Zhang, and B. Liu. 2006. Purification and characterization of two types of chitosanase from a Microbacterium sp. Biotechnol. Lett. 28, 1393-1399. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10529-006-9101-z
- Yoon, K.H. 2009. Cloning of a Bacillus subtilis AMX-4 xylanase gene and characterization of the gene product. J. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 19, 1514-1519. https://doi.org/10.4014/jmb.0907.07004
- Yoon, K.H., S. Chung, and B.L. Lim. 2008. Characterization of the Bacillus subtilis WL-3 mannanase from a recombinant Escherichia coli. J. Microbiol. 46, 344-349. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12275-008-0045-y
- Yoon, K.H., S.J. Seol, H.C. Cho, M.S. Lee, J.H. Choi, and K.H. Cho. 2002. Isolation and enzyme production of a xylanaseproducing strain, Bacillus sp. AMX-4. Kor. J. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 30, 123-128.