- Volume 47 Issue 3
Isolation, Identification, and Characterization of Ornithine-Producing Enterococcus faecalis OA18 from Kefir Grain
케피어그레인으로 제조한 요쿠르트로부터 Enterococcus faecalis OA18 균주의 분리 및 특성규명
- Yu, Jin-Ju (Department of Biotechnology, Woosuk University Graduate School) ;
- Kim, Su-Gon (Department of Biotechnology, Woosuk University Graduate School) ;
- Seo, Kyoung-Won (Department of Biotechnology, Woosuk University Graduate School) ;
- Oh, Suk-Heung (Department of Biotechnology, Woosuk University Graduate School)
- Received : 2011.07.26
- Accepted : 2011.09.14
- Published : 2011.09.30
Lactic acid bacteria (LAB) OA18 was isolated from yogurt prepared by using Kefir Grain as a starter. The OA18 strain was a Gram-positive, cocci-type bacterium, and able to grow anaerobically with
E. faecalis;anti-microbial activity;Kefir grain;ornithine
Supported by : 우석대학교
- Arena, M.E., F.M. Saguir, M.C. Manca, and M. Nadra. 1999. Arginine, citrulline and ornithine metabolism by lactic acid bacteria from wine. Int'l. J. Food Microbiol. 52, 155-161. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0168-1605(99)00133-6
- Baum, G., L.Y. Simcha, Y. Fridmann, T. Arazi, H. Katsnelson, and M. Zik. 1996. Calmodulin binding to glutamate decarboxylase is required for regulation and GABA metabolism and normal development in plants. EMBO J. 15, 2988-2996.
- Behr, J., M.G. Ganzle, and R.F. Vogel. 2006. Characterization of a highly hop-resistant Lactobacillus brevis strain lacking hop transport. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 72, 6483-6492. https://doi.org/10.1128/AEM.00668-06
- Davidson, P.M. and M.E. Parish. 1989. Method for testing the efficacy of food antimicrobials. Food Technol. 43, 148-155.
- Demain, A.L. 1988. Contribution of genetics to the production and discovery of microbial pharmaceuticals. Pure Appl. Chem. 60, 833-836. https://doi.org/10.1351/pac198860060833
- Du Toit, M., C.M. Franz, L.M. Dicks, and W.H. Holzapfel. 2000. Preliminary characterization of bacteriocins produced by Enterococcus faecium and Enterococcus faecalis isolated from pig faeces. J. Appl. Microbiol. 88, 482-494. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2672.2000.00986.x
- Eguchi, T., K. Kaminaka, J. Shima, S. Kawamoto, K. Mori, S.H. Choi, K. Doi, S. Ohmomo, and S. Ogata. 2001. Isolation and characterization of enterocin SE-K4 produced by thermophilic enterococci, Enterococcus faecalis K-4. Biosci. Biotechnol. Biochem. 65, 247-253. https://doi.org/10.1271/bbb.65.247
- Evain-Brion, D., M. Donnadieu, M. Roger, and J. Job. 1982. Simultaneous study of somatotrophic and corticotrophic pituitary secretions during ornithine infusion test. Clin. Endocrinol. 17, 119-122. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2265.1982.tb01571.x
- Garrote, G.L., A.G. Abraham, and G.L. De Antoni. 1998. Characteristics of kefir prepared with different grain: milk ratios. J. Dairy Res. 65, 149-154. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0022029997002677
- Gilmore, M.S., D.B. Clewell, P. Courvalin, G.M. Dunny, B.E. Murray, and L.B. Rice. 2002. Nonhuman reservoirs of Enterococci, pp. 56-100. In M.S. Gilmore (ed.), The Enterococci: pathogenesis, molecular biology, and antibiotic resistance, American Society for Microbiology Press, Washington, DC, USA.
- Jang, S.H. 2011. Control of Listeria monocytogenes on smoked salmon by antimicrobial effect of lactic acid bacteria. Food Industry Nutr. 16, 1-4.
Jeevanandam, M., N.I. Holaday, and S.R. Petersen. 1996. Ornithine
$\alpha$-ketoglutarate (OKG) supplementation is more effective than its component salts in traumatized rats. J. Nutrition 126, 2141-2150.
- Jeong, K.H., J.H. Choi, J.M. Lee, J.H. Lee, S.Y. Jang, and Y.J. Jeong. 2002. Fermentation characteristic of kefir beverage added fruit juice. Food Ind. Nutrition 7, 35-38.
- Kandler, O. and P. Kunath. 1983. Lactobacillus kefir sp., component of microflora of kefir. Syst. Appl. Microbiol. 4, 286-294. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0723-2020(83)80057-5
- Kemp, N. 1984. Kefir, the champagne of cultured dairy products. Cultured Dairy Products J. 19, 29-30.
- Kim, M.J. 2010. Preparation and characterization of kimchi using lactic acid bacteria having GABA and ornithine producing capacity and its some functional properties. MS thesis, Chonbuk Nat'l. Univ., Jeonju.
- Kim, J.Y., J.A. Lee, K.L. Kim, W.J. Yoon, W.J. Lee, and S.Y. Park. 2007. Antioxidative and antimicrobial activities of Sargassum muticum extracts. J. Korean Soc. Food Sci. Nutr. 36, 663-669. https://doi.org/10.3746/jkfn.2007.36.6.663
- Kim, D.S., S.K. Park, H.S. Kwak, and K.W. Lee. 1994. Isolation, identification and characterization of lactose non-fermenting yeast from kefir cultures. Korean J. Food Sci. Resour. 14, 175-178.
- Lee, J.S., K.C. Lee, J.S. Ahn, T.I. Mheen, Y.R. Byun, and Y.H. Park. 2002. Weissella. koreensis sp. nov., isolated from kimchi. Int. J. Syst. Evol. Microbiol. 52, 1257-1261. https://doi.org/10.1099/ijs.0.02074-0
- Lim, S.M. 2005. Synergistic effect of physico-chemical treatment and bacteriocin produced by Enterococcus faecium MJ-14. J. Fd. Hyg. Safety 20, 217-224.
- Lim, Y.S., S.Y. Kim, and S.K. Lee. 2008. Characteristics of lactic acid bacteria isolated from kefir made of goat milk. Korean J. Food Sci. Ani. Resour. 28, 82-90. https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2008.28.1.82
- Liu, S.Q., R. Holland, and V.L. Crow. 2003. The potential of dairy lactic acid bacteria to metabolise amino acids via non-transaminating reactions and endogenous transamination. Int. J. Food Microbiol. 86, 257-269. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0168-1605(03)00040-0
- Muting, D. and J.F. Kalk. 1992. Long-term effectiveness of highdosed ornithine-aspartate on urea synthesis rate and portal hypertension in human liver cirrhosis. Amino Acids 3, 147-153. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00806780
- Nam, H.R., M.S. Ha, E.J. Lee, and Y.H. Lee. 2002. Effect of Enterococcus faecalis strain PL9003 on adherence and growth of Helicobacter pylori. J. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 12, 746-752.
Park, K.B. and S.H. Oh. 2006. Isolation and characterization of Lactobacillus buchneri strains with high
$\gamma-aminobutyric $acid producing capacity from naturally aged cheese. Food Sci. Biotechnol. 15, 86-90.
- Sabia, C., S. Niederhausern, P. Messi, G. Manicardi, and M. Bondi. 2003. Bacteriocin-producing Enterococcus casseliflavus IM 416K1, a natural antagonist for control of Listeria monocytogenes in Italian sausages ("cacciatore"). Int. J. Food Microbiol. 87, 173-179. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0168-1605(03)00043-6
- Sharpe, M.E., T.F. Fryer, and D.G. Smith. 1996. Identification of lactic acid bacteria, pp. 65-79. In B.M. Gibbs and F.A. Skinner (eds.). Identification Methods for Microbiologists: part A. Academic Press, Inc., New York, USA.
- Shi, H.P., R.S. Fishel, D.T. Efron, J.Z. Williams, M.H. Fishel, and A. Barbul. 2002. Effect of supplemental ornithine on wound healing. J. Surgical Res. 106, 299-302. https://doi.org/10.1006/jsre.2002.6471
- Uchisawa, H., A. Sato, J. Ichita, H. Matsue, and T. Ono. 2004. Influence of low-temperature processing of the brackish water bivalve, Corbicula japonica, on the ornithine content of its extract. Biosci. Biotechnol. Biochem. 68, 1228-1234. https://doi.org/10.1271/bbb.68.1228
- Wolpert, M., B. Gust, B. Kammerer, and L. Heide. 2007. Effects of deletions of mbtH-like genes on clorobiocin biosynthesis in Streptomyces coelicolor. Microbiology 153, 1413-1423. https://doi.org/10.1099/mic.0.2006/002998-0
- Yu, J.J. and S.H. Oh. 2010. Isolation and characterization of lactic acid bacteria strains with ornithine producing capacity from natural sea salt. J. Microbiol. 48, 467-472. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12275-010-0204-9
- Yu, J.J., H.J. Park, S.G. Kim, and S.H. Oh. 2009. Isolation, identification, and characterization of Weissella strains with high ornithine producing capacity from kimchi. Korean J. Microbiol. 45, 339-345.