- Volume 11 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Relationships between Family Support, Perceived Health Status, and Self-esteem in Korean Women with Breast Cancer
한국 유방암 환자의 가족지지, 지각한 건강상태, 자아존중감의 관계
- Tae, Young-Sook (College of Nursing, Kosin University) ;
- Kim, Mi-Yea (Gospel Hospital, Kosin University)
- Received : 2010.12.01
- Accepted : 2011.01.29
- Published : 2011.02.28
Purpose: The study was to identify relationships between the family support, perceived health status and self esteem in Korean women with breast cancer. Methods: Data were collected by questionnaires from 214 women with breast cancer in inpatient and outpatient settings at three different university hospitals and one cancer hospital in B city, Korea. The instruments included Family Support Scale, Perceived Health Status Scale, and Self Esteem Scale. The collected data were analyzed using frequency, percentage, t-test, ANOVA, Scheffe's test, and Pearson's correlation coefficients by SPSS WIN 15.0 program. Results: There were significant differences in the family support by age, education, and cost burden. There were significant differences in the perceived health status by education, occupation, economic status, pain, fatigue, and cancer insurance. There were significant differences in the self esteem by age, occupation, economic status, type of religion, pain, fatigue, and cancer insurance. Self-esteem was significantly correlated with family support and perceived health status. Conclusion: These results suggested that promoting perceived health status and enhancing family support would increase self-esteem effectively among Korean women with breast cancer.
Supported by : 고신대학교
- NCIC. National Cancer Information Center 2009. Available at: http://www.cancer.go.kr/cms/statistics/incidence/index.html [accessed on 1, September 2010].
- Korean Breast Cancer Society. Breast cancer facts & figures. Seoul: Korean Breast Cancer Society;2008.
- Bertero CM. Affected self respect and self value: the impact of breast cancer treatment on self-esteem and Qol. Psychooncology 2002;11: 356-64. https://doi.org/10.1002/pon.577
- Loveys BJ, Klaich K. Breast cancer: demends of illness. Oncol Nurs Forum 1991;18:75-80.
- Swinney JE. African americans with cancer: the relationships among self-esteem, locus of control, and health perception. Res Nurs Health 2002;25:371-82. https://doi.org/10.1002/nur.10050
- Rabin EG, Heldt E, Hirakata VN, Bittelbrunn AC, Chachamovich E, Fleck MP. Depression and perceptions of quality of life of breast cancer survivors and their male partners. Oncol Nurs Forum 2009;36:E153-8.
- Lim IS. Breast cancer: damaged body and sense of femininity crisis. J Korean Womens Stud 2000;22:5-46.
- Park EY, Lee M. Illness experience of women with breast cancer in Korea: using feminist phenomenology. J Korean Acad Adult Nurs 2009;21: 504-18.
- Miller JR, Janosik EH. Family focused care. MC Grow-Hill book Com; 1980.
- Hann D, Baker F, Denniston M, Gesme D, Reding D, Flynn T, et al. The influence of social support on depressive symptoms in cancer patients age and gender differences. J Psychosom Res 2002;52:279-83. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-3999(01)00235-5
- Kim SK. The relationships between family support, self-care behavior, and perceived health among female patients under the chemotherapy [master thesis]. Seoul:Ewha Women's Univ.;2004.
- Tae YS. Hope of Korean cancer patients [dissertation]. Seoul:Ewha Wo-men's Univ.;1994.
- Curbow B, Somerfield M, Legro M, Sonnega J. Self concept and cancer in adults: theoretical and methodological issues. Soc Sci Med 1990;31: 115-28. https://doi.org/10.1016/0277-9536(90)90053-U
- Morea JM, Friend R, Bennet RM. Conceptualizing and measuring illness self concept: a comparision with self-esteem and optimism in predicting fibromyalgia adjustment. Res Nurs Health 2008;31:563-75. https://doi.org/10.1002/nur.20294
- Tae YS, Kim MY. Influencing factors on hope among patients with breast cancer. J Korean Oncol Nurs 2009;9:86-94.
- Jung KS, Park GJ. Relationships among body image, self-esteem, and health promotion behavior in mastectomy patients. J Korean Oncol Nurs 2007;7:36-46.
- Kim YS. Factors affecting quality of life in breast cancer survivors [master thesis]. Busan:Kosin Univ.;2009.
- Kang HS. Experimental study of the effects of reinforcement education for rehabilitation on hemiplegia patient's self care activities [dissertation]. Seoul:Yonsei Univ.;1985.
- Park GJ, Lee KH. A structural model for depression in middle aged women. Korean J Women Health Nurs 2002;8:69-84.
- Rosenberg M. Society and the adolescent self-image [dissertation]. NJ: Princeton Univ.;1965.
- Chon BJ. Self esteem: a test of its measurability. Yonsei Nonchong 1974; 11:107-24.
- Kim HK, Ko SH. A study on the spiritual well-being, family support, and depression of hospitalized cancer patients. J Korean Acad Adult Nurs 2005; 17:822-9.
- Lee PS. A study on self-esteem, social support, and quality of life in ostomates. [master thesis]. Seoul:Ewha Women's Univ.;2008.
- Kim YO. A study on correlations between family support, self esteem, and quality of life of operative patient of laryngeal cancer [master thesis]. Chonbuk:Chonbuk Univ.;2003.
- Kim MR. The relationship between married women's life stress and depression tendency: the mediating and moderating effects of self-esteem. Korean J Health Psychol 2007;12:761-77. https://doi.org/10.1177/1359105307080609
- Ashing-Giwa KT, Lim JW. Examining the impact of socioeconomic status and socioecologic stress on physical and mental health quality of life among breast cancer survivors. Oncol Nurs Forum 2009; 36:79-88. https://doi.org/10.1188/09.ONF.79-88
- Kwon SY. The effects of psychological support and self esteem of breast cancer patient on the depression [master thesis]. Daigu:Younhnam Univ.; 2008.
- Lee US. A study of Korean women's religiosity within the evolving process of Korean religious culture. J Korean Hist Thoughts 2003; 21:549-83.
- Hartman EE, Oort FJ, Visser MR, Sprangers MA, Hannerman MJ, Langen ZJ, et al. Explaining change over time in quality of life of adult patient with anorectal malformations or Hirschsprung's disease. Dis Colon Rectum 2006;49:96-103. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10350-005-0216-4