- Volume 11 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Factors Associated with Central Venous Catheterization in Cancer Patients
암환자의 중심정맥관 삽입 예측요인
- Park, Jeong-Yun (Department of Clinical Nursing, University of Ulsan) ;
- Park, Yeon-Hwan (College of Nursing, Research Institute of Nursing Science, Seoul National University)
- Received : 2010.09.20
- Accepted : 2011.01.12
- Published : 2011.02.28
Purpose: The purpose of this study was to identify the types of venous access devices (VAD) for cancer patients and investigate the factors related to the insertions of central venous catheter (CVC) in cancer patients. Methods: The subjects were 379 cancer patients. A retrospective review of all patients who were discharged from a cancer unit from November 1st to 21st in 2008 was done using a structured questionnaire. Results: A total of 82 CVC (21.6%) was inserted among 379 patients for administering anticancer therapy. There were statistically significant differences in age, length of stay (LOS), cumulative LOS, medical department, history of CVC insertion, cancer category, and albumin level between patients using peripheral intravenous (IV) catheters and CVC. In addition, factors influencing the use of CVC were LOS (odds ratio [OR]=0.286, confidence interval [CI]=1.043-1.124), history of CVC insertion (OR=3.920, CI=0.128-0.637), albumin level (OR=1.010, CI=1.879-8.179), cumulative LOS (OR=1.010, CI=1.001-1.018), and hematological diseases (OR=4.863, CI=2.162-10.925). Conclusion: We found that central venous catheterization for anticancer therapy was minimal even though CVC was safe and effective device for IV access. It is necessary to develop a strategy to use VADs efficiently and timely for cancer patients.
- Horattas MC, Trupiano J, Hopkins S, Pasini D, Martino C, Murty A. Changing concepts in long-term central venous access: catheter selection and cost savings. Am J Infect Control 2001;29:32-40. https://doi.org/10.1067/mic.2001.111536
- Halderman F. Selecting a vascular access device. Nursing 2000;30:59-61. https://doi.org/10.1097/00152193-200030110-00027
- Freytes CO. Progress in central venous access? Support Care Cancer 2003;11:135-6.
- Freytes CO. Vascular access problems revisited: the Multinational Association of Supportive Care in Cancer (MASCC) experience. Support Care Cancer 1998;6:13-9.
- Gallieni M, Pittiruti M, Biffi R. Vascular access in oncology patients. CA Cancer J Clin 2008;58:323-46. https://doi.org/10.3322/CA.2008.0015
- Galloway M. Insertion and placement of central catheters in the oncology patient. Semin Oncol Nurs 2010;26:102-12. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.soncn.2010.02.004
- Pector JC. Vascular access problems. Support Care Cancer 1998;6:20-2.
- Park SH, Song MS. A study on the occurence of intravenous-related phlebitis(Data from patients cared by the IV nurses). J Korean Acad Adult Nurs 1997;9:33-43.
- Raaf JH. Administration of chemotherapeutic agents. Techniques and controversies. Support Care Cancer 1994;2:335-46. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00344046
- Freytes CO. Indications and complications of intravenous devices for chemotherapy. Curr Opin Oncol 2000;12:303-7. https://doi.org/10.1097/00001622-200007000-00005
- Oncology Nurse Society. Access device guidelines: recommendation for nursing practice and education. Pittsburgh, PA:Oncology Nurse Society;1996.
- Camp-Sorrell D. State of the science of oncology vascular access devices. Semin Oncol Nurs 2010;26:80-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.soncn.2010.02.001
- Wickham RS. Advances in venous access devices and nursing management strategies. Nurs Clin North Am 1990;25:345-64.
- Bishop L, Dougherty L, Bodenham A, Mansi J, Crowe P, Kibbler C, et al. Guidelines on the insertion and management of central venous access devices in adults. Int J Lab Hematol 2007;29:261-78. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1751-553X.2007.00931.x
- Winslow MN, Trammell L, Camp-Sorrell D. Selection of vascular access devices and nursing care. Semin Oncol Nurs 1995;11:167-73. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0749-2081(95)80026-3
- Zganjer M, Cizmic A, Butkovic D, Matolic M, Karaman-Ilic M, Stepan J. Central venous catheters for chemotherapy of solid tumors-our results in the last 5 years. Coll Antropol 2008;32:767-70.
- Park JY, Baek MK, Kwon HL, Kim SR, Yang SJ, Park KO. A clinical nurse specialist-led PICC(Peripherally Inserted Central Catheter) program in an affiliated hospital. Clin Nurs Res 2005;10:103-14.
- Oakley C, Wright E, Ream E. The experiences of patients and nurses with a nurse-led peripherally inserted central venous catheter line service. Eur J Oncol Nurs 2000;4:207-18. https://doi.org/10.1054/ejon.2000.0099
- Viot M. Intravenous access: related problems in oncology. Int J Antimicrob Agents 2000;16:165-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0924-8579(00)00234-X
- Korean Hospital Association. The health insurance medical treatment benefits. Seoul:Korean Hospital Association;2010.
- Goossens GA, Vrebos M, Stas M, De Wever I, Frederickx L. Central vascular access devices in oncology and hematology considered from a different point of view: how do patients experience their vascular access ports? J Infus Nurs 2005;28:61-7. https://doi.org/10.1097/00129804-200501000-00008
- Shukla NK, Das DK, Deo SV, Raina V. An analysis of long-term venous access catheters in cancer patients: experience from a tertiary care centre in India. J Postgrad Med 2002;48:21-4.
- Jacobson AF, Winslow EH. Variables influencing intravenous catheter insertion difficulty and failure: an analysis of 339 intravenous catheter insertions. Heart Lung 2005;34:345-59. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.hrtlng.2005.04.002
- Kaufman JA, Kazanjian SA, Rivitz SM, Geller SC, Waltman AC. Longterm central venous catheterization in patients with limited access. AJR Am J Roentgenol 1996;167:1327-33. https://doi.org/10.2214/ajr.167.5.8911206
- Wikipedia. The Free Encylopedia. Available at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ICD-9_codes_140-239:_Neoplasms [accessed on 13 January 2011].
- Nutrition Team. Patient diet prescription guideline. Seoul: Asan Medical Center;2006.
- Marcy PY. Central venous access: techniques and indications in oncology. Eur Radiol 2008;18:2333-44. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00330-008-0981-2
- Webster J, Morris HL, Robinson K, Sanderson U. Development and validation of a vein assessment tool(VAT). Aust J Adv Nurs 2007;24:5-7.