- Volume 49 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Propellant Shelf-life Extension by Surface-modified Activated Carbon Fiber
활성탄소섬유를 이용한 추진제 저장수명 연장
- Yoon, Keun Sig (Defence Agency for Technology and Quality) ;
- Lee, Young Seak (Department of Chemical Engineering, Chungnam National University) ;
- Ryu, Seung Kon (Department of Chemical Engineering, Chungnam National University)
- Published : 2011.08.01
The propellant has a short shelf-life because of nitrogen oxides that were released from nitrocellulose decomposition. As-received and surface-modified ACFs were applied to remove the nitrogen oxides with intend to extend the shelf-life of propellant. The specific surface area of modified ACFs was slightly decreased but nitrogen function groups such as pyridine, pyridone and pyrrol were created on the surface of ACFs. As a result, the NO removal capacity of the surface-modified ACF by propellant waste increased about twice than that of the as-received ACF. The shelf-life of propellant was extended about 1.25 times by accompanying surface-modified ACF.
- Thrower, P. (Ed.), Chemistry and Physics of Carbon, vol. 25, Marcel Dekker, New York, N.Y.(1997).
- Chae, J. S., Ko, K. R., Jung, C. H., Rhee, B. S. and Ryu, S. K., "Fibrous Active Carbon from Pitch-based Hollow Carbon Fiber," HWAHAK KONGHAK, 31(1), 99-106(1993).
- Kim, Y. O., Ko, K. R., Park, Y. T. and Ryu, S. K., "Adsorption of Solute on Pitch-based Activated Carbon Fiber from Aqueous Solution," HWAHAK KONGHAK, 30(3), 347-356(1992).
- Ryu, S. K., "Porosity of Activated Carbon Fibers," High Temp. -High Pressure, 22(4), 345-354(1990).
- Isao, M., Yozo, K., Masuaki, S., Shizuo, K., Tomohiro, H. and Yorimasa, S., "Removal of SOx and NOx over Activated Carbon Fibers," Carbon, 38(2), 227-235(2000). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0008-6223(99)00179-7
- Park, S. J., Shin, J. S., Shim, J. W. and Ryu, S. K., "Effect of Acidic Treatment on Metal Adsorptions of Pitch-based Activated Carbon Fibers," J. Colloid Interface Sci., 275(1), 342-344(2004). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcis.2004.01.010
- Byeon, J. H., Yoon, H. S., Yoon, K. Y., Ryu, S. K. and Hwang, J. H., "Electroless Copper Deposition on a Pitch-based Activated Carbon Fiber and an Application for NO Removal," Surf. & Coat. Technol., 202(15), 3571-3578(2008). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.surfcoat.2007.12.032
- Lee, Y. S., Kim, Y. H., Hong, J. S., Suh, J. K. and Cho, G. J., "The Adsorption Properties of Surface Modified Activated Carbon Fibers For Hydrogen Storages," Catal. Today, 120(3), 420-425(2007). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cattod.2006.09.014
- Muniz, J., Marban, G. and Fuertes, A. B., "Low Temperature Selective Catalytic Reduction of NO over Modified Activated Carbon Fibres," Appl. Catal. B: Environ., 27(1), 27-36(2000). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0926-3373(00)00134-X
Shirahama, N., Mochida, I., Korai, Y., Choi, K. H., Enjoji, T., Shimohara, T. and Yasutake, A., "Reaction of
$NO_2$in Air at Room Temperature with Urea Supported on Pitch Based Activated Carbon Fiber," Appl. Catal. B: Environ., 52, 173-179(2004). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apcatb.2004.04.003
- Raymundo-Piero, E., Cazorla-Amors, D. and Linares-Solano, A., "The Role of Different Nitrogen Functional Groups on the Removal of SO from Flue Gases by N-doped Activated Carbon Powders and Fibres," Carbon, 41(10), 1925-1932(2003). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0008-6223(03)00180-5
- Yu, J., Wu, Y., Wang, S. and Ma, X., "The Preparation of Cellulose Nitrate Derivatives and Their Adsorption Properties for Creatinine," Carbohydrate Polymer, 70(1), 8-14(2007). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.carbpol.2007.02.020
- Wang, M. J., Chang, Y. I. and Poncin-Epilla, F., "Acid and Basic Functionalities of Nitrogen and Carbon Dioxide Plasma Treated Polystylene," Surf. Interface Analysis, 37(3), 348-355(2005). https://doi.org/10.1002/sia.2029
- Folly, P. and Mader, M., "Propellant Chemistry," CHIMIA International J. Chem., 58, 374-382(2004). https://doi.org/10.2533/000942904777677713
- Army Technical Manual TM 9-1300-214(with Change No.4), Department of the Army, Headquarters, Washington, D.C.(1990).
- Lindblom, T., Reactions in the System Nitro-cellulose/ Diphenylamine with special reference to the formation of a stabilizing product bonded to nitrocellulose, ACTA universitatis upsaliensis, Uppsala, Sweden(2004).
- Borcherding, R., "An Alternative to Open Burning Treatment of Solid Propellant Manufacturing Wastes," Waste Manage., 17(2), 135-141(1997).
- Yoon, K. S. and Ryu, S. K., "Removal of NO Using Surface Modified Activated Carbon Fiber(ACF) by Impregnation and Heat-treatment of Propellant Waste," Korean J. Chem. Eng., 27(6), 1882-1886(2010). https://doi.org/10.1007/s11814-010-0294-4
- Biniak, S., Szymaski, G., Siedlewski, J. and SwiatkOwski, A., "The Characterization Of Activated Carbons With oxygen and Nitrogen Surface Groups," Carbon, 35(12), 1799-1810(1997). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0008-6223(97)00096-1
- Kutics, K. and Suzuki, M., "Adsorption of Organics on Surface Modified Activated Carbon Fibers," The 2'nd Korea-Japan Symposium on Separation Technology, June 1-2, Seoul, 395-398(1990).
- Ryu, S. K., Kim, S. Y., Gallego N. and Edie, D. D., "Electrochemical Treatment on Activated Carbon Fibers for Increasing the Amount and Rate of Cr(VI) Adsorption," Carbon, 37(10), 1619-1625(1999). https://doi.org/10.1016/S0008-6223(99)00086-X
- Moreno-Castilla, C., Lopez-Ramón, M. V. and Carrasco-Marín, F., "Changes in Surface Chemistry of Activated Carbons by Wet Oxidation," Carbon, 38(14), 1995-2001(2007).
- Shen, W., Wang, H., Liu, Y., Guo, Q. and Zhang, Y., "Oxidization Activated Carbon Fiber Through Nitrocellulose Combustion," Colloids. Surf. A, 308, 20-24(2007).
- SO2 Adsorption Characteristics by Cellulose-Based Lyocell Activated Carbon Fiber on Cu Additive Effects vol.26, pp.4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.14478/ace.2015.1011