- Volume 24 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Effects of Wheat Fiber, Oat Fiber, and Inulin on Sensory and Physico-chemical Properties of Chinese-style Sausages
- Huang, S.C. (Food Industry Research and Development Institute) ;
- Tsai, Y.F. (Food Industry Research and Development Institute) ;
- Chen, C.M. (Food Industry Research and Development Institute)
- Received : 2010.09.01
- Accepted : 2010.12.14
- Published : 2011.06.01
This study introduces the addition of wheat fiber, oat fiber, and inulin to Chinese-style sausages, in amounts of 3.5% and 7%, respectively. Researchers used analysis of general composition and texture properties, and sensory evaluation to assess the influence of these three types of dietary fiber on the quality and palatability of Chinese-style sausages. Results showed that the type and amount of dietary fiber introduced did not significantly influence the general composition, color, and total plate count of sausages. However, the addition of wheat fiber and oat fiber significantly hardened the texture of Chinese-style sausages (p<0.05). A greater amount of dietary fiber added implied a harder texture. Added inulin did not influence the texture of Chinese-style sausages (p>0.05). Results of product assessment showed that, aside from sausages with 7% wheat fiber scoring less than 6 points (on a 9-point scale) in terms of overall acceptability, the other groups of Chinese-style sausages scored over 6 points. Judges preferred the sausage groups with 3.5% added oat and wheat fiber. This study demonstrates that adding fiber to Chinese-style sausages to increase the amount of dietary fiber is feasible.
Wheat Fiber;Oat Fiber;Inulin;Chinese-style Sausages
- AACC report. 2001. The definition of dietary fiber. Cereal Food World 46:112.
- Anderson, J. W., N. J. Gustafson and C. A. Bryant. 1987. Dietary fiber and diabetes: a comprehensive review and practical application. J. Am. Diet. Assoc. 89:1189-1197.
- AOAC. 1984. Official methods of analysis. 14th edn. Washington, DC: Association of Official Analytical Chemists.
- Chambers, E. N. and J. R. Bowers. 1993. Consumer perception of sensory quality in muscle foods. Food Technol. 47(11):116-120.
- Chau, C. F., P. C. K. Cheung and Y. S. Wong. 1997. Functional properties of protein concentrates from three chinese indigenous legume seeds. J. Agric. Food Chem. 45:2500-2503. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf970047c
- Chau, C. F. and P. C. K. Cheung. 1999. Effects of physicochemical properties of legume fibers on cholesterol absorption in hamsters. Nutr. Res. 19:257-265. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0271-5317(98)00189-4
- Cho, J. C. and L. J. Bratzler. 1970. Effects of sodium nitrite on flavor of cured pork. J. Food Sci. 35(5):668-670. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1970.tb04839.x
- Choi, Y. S., J. H. Choi, D. J. Han, H. Y. Kim, M. A. Lee, H. W. Kim, J. Y. Jeong and C. J. Kim. 2009. Characteristics of lowfat meat emulsion systems with pork fat replaced by vegetable oils and rice bran fiber. Meat Sci. 82:266-271. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2009.01.019
- Fernandez-Gines, J. M., J. Fernandez-Lopez, E. Sayas-Barbera, E. Sendra and J. A. Perez-Alvarez. 2003. Effect of storage conditions on quality characteristics of bologna sausages made with citrus fibre. J. Food Sci. 68(2):710-715. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.2003.tb05737.x
- Ganji, V. and C. V. Kies. 1996. Psyllium husk fiber supplementation to the diets rich in soybean or coconut oil: Hypocholesterolemic effect in healthy humans. Int. J. Food Sci. Nutr. 47(2):103-110. https://doi.org/10.3109/09637489609012571
- García, M. L., R. Dominguez, M. D. Galvez, C. Casas and M. D. Selgas. 2002. Utilization of cereal and fruit fibres in low fat dry fermented sausages. Meat Sci. 60:227-236. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(01)00125-5
- Huang, S. C., C. Y. Shiau, T. E. Liu, C. L. Chu and D. F. Hwang. 2005. Effects of rice bran on sensory and physico-chemical properties of emulsified pork meatballs. Meat Sci. 70:613-619. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2005.02.009
- Meilgaard, M., G. V. Civille and B. T. Carr. 1991. Sensory evaluation techniques. 2nd Ed. CRC, USA.
- Mendoza, E., M. L. García, C. Casas and M. D. Selgas. 2001. Inulin as fat substitute in low fat, dry fermented sausages. Meat Sci. 57:387-393. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(00)00116-9
- Nguyen, V. T., P. L. Legowski, T. J. Geise, L. Zukley, B. W. Yount and J. M. Rippe. 2004. A high fiber dietary intervention is effective in producing weight loss and improving dietary quality. J. Am. Diet Assoc. 104:49.
- Pereira, M. A., E. O'Reilly and K. Augustsson. 2004. Dietary fiber and risk of coronary heart disease. ACC Curr. J. Rev. 13(5):26.
Pinero, M. P., K. Parra, N.Huerta-Leidenz, L. Arenas de Moreno, M. Ferrer, S. Araujo and Y. Barboza. 2008. Effect of oat's soluble fibre (
$\beta$-glucan) as a fat replacer on physical, chemical, microbiological and sensory properties of low-fat beef patties. Meat Sci. 80:675-680. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2008.03.006
- Prosky, L., N. G. Asp, T. F. Schweizer, J. W. De Vries and L. Furda. 1988. Determination of insoluble, soluble and total dietary fibre in foods and food products: Collaboration study. J. Anal. Chem. 71:1017-1023.
- Sayago-Ayerdi, S. G., A. Brenes and I. Goni. 2009. Effect of grape antioxidant dietary fiber on the lipid oxidation of raw and cooked chicken hamburgers. LWT - Food Sci. Technol. 42:971-976. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lwt.2008.12.006
- Schulze, M. B., S. M. Liu, E. B. Rimm, J. E. Manson, W. C. Willett and B. F. Hu. 2004. Glycemic index, glycemic load, and dietary fiber intake and incidence of type 2 diabetes in younger and middle-aged women. Am. J. Clin. Nutr. 80(2):348-356.
- Viuda-Martos, M., Y. Ruiz-Navajas, J. Fernández-López and J. A. Pérez-Alvarez. 2009. Effect of orange dietary fibre, oregano essential oil and packaging conditions on shelf-life of bologna sausages. Food Control. 21(4):436-443.
- Viuda-Martos, M., Y. Ruiz-Navajas, J. Fernández-López and J. A. Pérez-Alvarez. 2010. Effect of added citrus fibre and spice essential oils on quality characteristics and shelf-life of mortadella. Meat Sci. 85:568-576. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2010.03.007
- Wirth, F. 1986. Curing: colour formation and colour retention in frankfurter-type sausages. Fleischwirtschaft. 66(3):354-358.
- Effects of Wheat Fiber with Breading on Quality Characteristics of Pork Loin Cutlet vol.32, pp.4, 2012, https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2012.32.4.504
- Functionality and Application of Dietary Fiber in Meat Products vol.32, pp.6, 2012, https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2012.32.6.695
- Comparison of Pork Patty Quality Characteristics with Various Binding Agents vol.31, pp.5, 2015, https://doi.org/10.9724/kfcs.2015.31.5.588
- Effect of sorghum bicolour and clove oil on the quality characteristics and storage quality of aerobically packaged chevon cutlets vol.45, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1108/NFS-02-2014-0017
- Utilization of pomegranate seed powder and tomato powder in the development of fiber-enriched chicken nuggets vol.45, pp.5, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1108/NFS-05-2015-0066
- Novel trends in development of dietary fiber rich meat products—a critical review vol.52, pp.2, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1007/s13197-013-1010-2
- Efeito da adição de fibra de aveia sobre as propriedades físico-químicas de hambúrguer cozido e congelado com redução de gordura e sal vol.19, pp.0, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1590/1981-6723.7915
- Saciedade subjetiva, aceitação sensorial e aspectos tecnológicos de salsicha com adição de fibra de trigo vol.19, pp.0, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1590/1981-6723.0816
- Effects of Partial Beef Fat Replacement with Gelled Emulsion on Functional and Quality Properties of Model System Meat Emulsions vol.36, pp.6, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2016.36.6.744
- ) cutlets added with fibers from ragi, oat and jowar vol.46, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1108/NFS-02-2016-0023
- Effect of Dietary Fiber Enrichment and Different Cooking Methods on Quality of Chicken Nuggets vol.37, pp.3, 2017, https://doi.org/10.5851/kosfa.2017.37.3.410
- Effect of incorporation of functional ingredients on quality of low fat restructured goat meat product vol.47, pp.5, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1108/NFS-09-2016-0143
- Optimization of low-fat meat hamburger formulation containing quince seed gum using response surface methodology pp.0975-8402, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1007/s13197-017-2969-x
- Bioactive Compounds in Functional Meat Products vol.23, pp.2, 2018, https://doi.org/10.3390/molecules23020307
- Performance of low-fat beef burger with added soluble and insoluble dietary fibers vol.38, pp.3, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1590/fst.09217
- Physical properties of emulsion gels formulated with sonicated soy protein isolate pp.09505423, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1111/ijfs.13957
- An overview of the functionality of inulin in meat and poultry products vol.48, pp.5, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1108/NFS-11-2017-0253
- The effect of inulin as a fat substitute on the physicochemical and sensory properties of chicken sausages vol.6, pp.2, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1002/fsn3.585
- Effect of wheat bran and dried carrot pomace addition on quality characteristics of chicken sausage vol.31, pp.5, 2018, https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.17.0214