- Volume 24 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Effect of Short-term Water Restriction on Body Weight, Egg Production, and Immune Response of Local and Commercial Layers in the Late Phase of Production
- Ahmed, A.S. ;
- Alamer, M.A.
- Received : 2010.09.18
- Accepted : 2011.01.14
- Published : 2011.06.01
Forty-five Hisex commercial layers and forty-five local Saudi breed layers were used to determine the acceptable limit of short-term water restriction in the late phase of production, when the problem of high feed and water consumption is expected. The experiment was performed under hot and arid environmental conditions when the layers were at fifty weeks of age. Layers from each breed were randomly assigned in groups of five into nine floor pens. The average environmental temperature was 37.2-
Water Restriction;Body Weight;Egg Production;Immune Response
- Abdelsamie, R. E. and F. Yadiwilo. 1981. Water consumption and effects of water restriction on performance of broilers in the tropics. Br. Poult. Sci. 22:423-429. https://doi.org/10.1080/00071688108447905
- Arad, Z. 1982. Effect of water deprivation and heat exposure on body weight loss and drinking capacity in four breeds of fowl (Gallus Domesticus). Comp. Biochem. Physiol. 73A:297-299.
- Arad, Z. 1983. Thermoregulation and acid-base status in the panting dehydrated fowl. J. Appl. Physiol. 54:234-243.
- Arad, Z. and E. Skadhauge. 1984. Plasma hormones (arginine vasotocin, prolactin, aldosterone, and corticosterone) in relation to hydration state, NaCl intake, and egg laying in fowls. J. Exp. Zool. 322:707-714.
- Beuving, G., R. B. Jones and H. J. Blokhius. 1989. Adrenocortical and heterophil/lymphocyte responses to challenge in hens showing short or long tonic immobility reactions. Br. Poult. Sci. 30:175-184. https://doi.org/10.1080/00071668908417135
- Dai, N. V., W. Bessei and Z. Nasir. 2009. The effect of potassium chloride supplementation in drinking water on water and feed intake and egg production quality of laying hens under cyclic heat stress. Archiv. Fur. Geflugelkunde 73:179-188.
- Esonu, B. O. 2000. Animal nutrition and feeding. A functional approach. lst edn. R and R Books. Owerri, Nigeria, pp. 131-179.
- Freier, D. O. and B. A. Fuchs. 1994. A mechanism of action for morphine-induced immunosuppression: Corticosterone mediates morphine-induced suppression of natural killer cell activity. Pharmacol. Exp. Ther. 270:1127-1133.
- Fujita, M., M. Ohya and S. Yamamoto. 2001. Effects of water restriction on productive performances, excreta moisture, drinking behavior and hematological aspect of laying hens. Jap. J. Livest. Manag. 37:63-68.
- Heller, E. D., G. Leitner, N. Drabkin and D. Melamed. 1990. Passive immunization of chicks against Escherichia coli. Avian Pathol. 19:345-354. https://doi.org/10.1080/03079459008418685
- Huff, G. R., W. E. Huff, N. C. Rath, N. B. Anthony and K. E. Nestor. 2008. Effects of Escherichia coli challenge and transport stress on hematology and serum chemistry values of three genetic lines of Turkeys. Poult. Sci. 87:2234-2241. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.2008-00128
- Kellerup, S. U., J. E. Parker and G. H. Arscott. 1965. Effect of restricted water consumption on broilers chickens. Poult. Sci. 44:79-83.
- Lewis, D. F. W. and M. N. Jacobs. 2002. Steroid hormone receptors and dietary ligands: A selected review. Proc. Nutr. Soc. 61:105-122. https://doi.org/10.1079/PNS2001140
- Li, H., Y. Zhang, Z. H. Ning, X. M. Deng, Z. X. Lian and N. Li. 2008. Effect of selection for phagocytosis in dwarf chickens on immune and reproductive characters. Poult. Sci. 87:41-49. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.2007-00306
- Odihambo Mumma, J., J. P. Thaxton, Y. Vizzier-Thaxton and W. L. Dodson. 2006. Physiological stress in laying hens. Poult. Sci. 85:761-769. https://doi.org/10.1093/ps/85.4.761
- Puvadolpirod, S. and J. P. Thaxton. 2000. Model of physiological stress in chickens. 2. Dosimetry of adrenocorticotropin. Poult. Sci. 79:370-376. https://doi.org/10.1093/ps/79.3.370
- Redei, E. E. 2008. Molecular genetics of the stress-responsive adrenocortical axis. Ann. Med. 40:139-148. https://doi.org/10.1080/07853890701724863
- SAS Institute. 2000. SAS/STAT User's Guide, statistics SAS institute Inc. Cary, USA.
- Savory, C. J. 1978. The relationship between food and water intake and the effects of water restriction on laying brown Leghorn hens. Br. Poult. Sci. 19:631-641. https://doi.org/10.1080/00071667808416523
- Scheele, C. W. 1997. Pathological changes in metabolism of poultry related to increasing production levels. Vet. Q. 19:127-130. https://doi.org/10.1080/01652176.1997.9694756
- Siegel, H. S. 1995. Stress, strains and resistance. Br. Poult. Sci. 36:3-22. https://doi.org/10.1080/00071669508417748
- Skadhauge, E. 1981. Osmoregulaion in birds. Springer-Verlag, New York USA.
- Teresa Herr Viola, Andrea Machado Leal Ribeiro, Antonio Mario Penz Junior and Eduardo Spillari Viola. 2009. Influence of water restriction on the performance and organ development of young broiler. R. Bras. Zootec. 38:323-327.
- Viola, T. H, A. M. Ribeiro, A. M. Junior and E. S. Viola. 2009. Influence of water restriction on the performance and organ development of young broilers. R. Bras. Zootec. 38: 323-327.
- Effect of short-term water restriction in hot season on some blood parameters and immune response to Newcastle disease vaccine of local and commercial layers in the late phase of production vol.96, pp.4, 2011, https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1439-0396.2011.01200.x
- Effects of Water Restriction on the Growth Performance, Carcass Characteristics and Organ Weights of Naked Neck and Ovambo Chickens of Southern Africa vol.27, pp.7, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2013.13383
- Physicochemical properties of breast meat from water-stressed naked-neck and Ovambo chickens vol.55, pp.2, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1080/00071668.2014.888396
- Safety of fluralaner oral solution, a novel systemic antiparasitic treatment for chickens, in laying hens after oral administration via drinking water vol.10, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1186/s13071-017-2291-5