- Volume 24 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Feed Restriction and Compensatory Growth in Guzerá Females
- Neto, S. Gonzaga (Department of Zootecnia, University Federal of Paraiba) ;
- Bezerra, L.R. (Department of Zootecnia, University Federal of Piaui) ;
- Medeiros, A.N. (Department of Zootecnia, University Federal of Paraiba) ;
- Ferreira, M.A. (Department of Zootecnia, University Federal Rural of Pernambuco) ;
- Filho, E.C. Pimenta (Department of Zootecnia, University Federal of Paraiba) ;
- Candido, E.P. (MSc. Animal Production) ;
- Oliveira, R.L. (School of Veterinary and Zootecnia/UFBA)
- Received : 2010.11.18
- Accepted : 2011.02.01
- Published : 2011.06.01
This study examined the effect of restricting feed intake and the subsequent compensatory growth in Guzera females. Eighteen animals with an initial age of 21 months and a mean weight of 268.17 kg were placed in three groups according to the alimentary regime: feed ad libitum; feed restricted to 20% dry matter; and feed restricted to 40% dry matter. In the restricted feed phase, the dry mater intake decreased as the restriction levels increased, influencing the reduction in intake of other nutrients. In the realimentation phase, the 40% restricted feed group ingested more dry matter (% BW) and crude protein (
- Alves, M., F. Gonzalez, N. Carvalho, P. Mühlbach, V. Lima, T. R. Conceicao and V. Wald. 2004. Feeding dairy cows with soybean by-products: effects on metabolic profile. Ciencia Rural, 34(1):239-243. https://doi.org/10.1590/S0103-84782004000100037
- Amstalden, M., M. R. Garcia, R. L. Stanko, S. E. Nizielski, C. D. Morrison, D. H. Keisler and G. L. Williams. 2002. Central infusion of recombinant ovine leptin normalizes plasma insulin and stimulates a novel hypersecretion of luteinizing hormone after short-term fasting in mature beef cows. Biological Reproduction 66:1555-1561. https://doi.org/10.1095/biolreprod66.5.1555
- Bezerra, L. R. 2006. Performance and metabolic behavior of Santa Inês lambs fed with different concentrations of Spirulina platensis in diluted cow's milk. 173f. Dissertation (Master in Zootechny) - University of Campina Grande, Paraíba.
- Chelikani, P. K., J. D. Ambrose, D. H. Keisler and J. J. Kennelly. 2004. Effect of short-term fasting on plasma concentrations of leptin and other hormones and metabolites in dairy cattle. Domest. Anim. Endocrinol. 26:33-48. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.domaniend.2003.08.003
- Clark, J. H., K. C. Olson, T. B. Schmidt, M. L. Linville, D. O. Alkire, D. L. Meyer, G. K. Rentfrow, C. C. Carr and E. P. Berg. 2007. Effects of dry matter intake restriction on diet digestion, energy partitioning, phosphorus retention, and ruminal fermentation by beef steers. J. Anim. Sci. 85:3383-3390. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2006-741
- Cole, N. A. 2000. Changes in postprandial plasma and extracellular and ruminal fluid volumes in wethers fed or unfed for 72 h. J. Anim. Sci. 78:216-223.
- Costa, P. B., A. C. Queiroz, M. T. Rodrigues, A. L. R. Magalhães, M. G. Costa, F. L. B. Toral, T. A. Carvalho, L. Monteiro, K. Zorzi and M. S. Duarte. 2007. Performance of dairy heifers under management compensatory growth supplementation with ionophore. Rev. Bras. Zootec. 36(2): 461-470. https://doi.org/10.1590/S1516-35982007000200025
- Ford, J. A. Jr. and C. S. Park. 2001. Nutritionally directed compensatory growth enhances heifer development and lactation potential. J. Dairy Sci. 84:1669-1678. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(01)74602-4
- Firkins, J. L., Z. Yu and M. Morrison. 2007. Ruminal nitrogen metabolism: perspectives for integration of microbiology and nutrition for dairy. J. Dairy Sci. 90 (Suppl. 1):E1-16. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2006-518
- Fujihara, T., E. R. Orskov and P. J. Reeds. 1987. The effect of protein infusion on urinary excretion of purine derivatives in ruminants nourished by intragastric nutrition. J. Agric. Sci. 109:7-12. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0021859600080916
- Herdt, H. H. 2000. The veterinary clinics of North America: food animal practice. 16(2):408.
- Hoch, T., C. Begon, I. Cassar-malek, B. Picard and I. Savaryauzeloux. 2003. Mecanismes et consequences de la croissance compensatrice chez lês ruminants. INRA Productions Animales 16(1):49-59.
- Lobo, R. N. B., V. M. Penna and F. E. Madalena. 2000. Breeding program evaluation for dual purpose zebu cattle. Revista Brasileira de Zootecnia, 29(5) :1349-1360. https://doi.org/10.1590/S1516-35982000000500013
- Mcdowell, L. R. 1999. Minerals for grazing ruminants in tropical regions, with emphasis on Brazil. Florida: University of Florida, 93 p. (Boletim, 3).
- Mertens, D. R. 2001. Physical effective NDF and Its Use in Formulating dairy rations. In: INTERNATIONAL SYMPOSIUM ON DAIRY CATTLE, 2, 2001, Florida Dairy Extension, Florida: University of Florida, p. 25-36.
- National Research Council (NRC). 1996. Nutrient requirement of dairy cattle. Washington: National Academy of Science, 242.
- Pereira, K. P., A. S. C. V. Véras, M. A. Ferreira, A. M. V. Batista, K. A. Marques and A. C. A. Fotius. 2007. Nitrogen balance and endogenous losses in cattle and buffaloes fed with increasing levels of concentrate. Acta Scientiarum Animal Science 29(4):433-440.
- Ruiz, R., L. O. Tedeschi, J. C. Marini, D. G. Fox, A. N. Pell, G. Jarvis and J. B. Russel. 2002. The effect of a ruminal nitrogen (N) deficiency in dairy cows: evaluation of the cornell net carbohydrate and protein system ruminal n deficiency adjustment. J. Dairy Sci. 85:2986-2999. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(02)74384-1
- Ryan, W. J., I. H. Williams and R. J. Moir. 1993. Compensatory growth in sheep and cattle. Growth pattern and feed intake. Aust. J. Agric. Res. Perth, 44:1609-1621. https://doi.org/10.1071/AR9931609
- Ryan, W. J. 1990. Compensatory growth in cattle and sheep. In: Nutrition abstracts and reviews (Series B), 50:653-664.
- Silva, D. J. and A. C. Queiroz. 2002. Food analysis (chemical and biological). 3.ed. Vicosa, MG: Universidade Federal de Vicosa, p. 235.
- Statistical Analysis System (SAS). 2000. Version 8.12 SAS, INC. Cany, NC, USA, 2000.
- Taylor-edwards, C. C., N. A. Elam, S. E. Kitts, K. R. Mc leod, D. E. Axe, E. S. Vanzant, N. B. Kristensen and D. L. Harmon. 2009. Influence of slow-release urea on nitrogen balance and portal-drained visceral nutrient flux in beef steers. J. Anim. Sci. 7:209-221.
- Taylor, M. S., K. T. Knowlton, M. L. Mcgilliard, W. M. Seymour and J. H. Herbein. 2008. Blood mineral, hormone, and osteocalcin responses of multiparous jersey cows to an oral dose of 25-hydroxyvitamin d3 or vitamin d3 before parturition. J. Dairy Sci. 91:2408-2416. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2007-0750
- Tolla, N., T. Mirkena and L. A. Yimegnuha. 2003. Effect of feed restriction on compensatory growth of Arsi (Bos indicus) bulls. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 103:29-39. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0377-8401(02)00214-6
- Valadares, R. F. D., G. A. Broderick, S. C. Valadares Filho and M. K. Clayton. 1999. Effect of replacing alfafa silage with high moisture corn on ruminal protein synthesis estimated from excretion of total purine derivatives. J. Dairy Sci. 82(12): 2686-2696. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(99)75525-6
- Valkeners, D., A. Théwis, F. Piron and Y. Beckers. 2004. Effect of imbalance between energy and nitrogen supplies on microbial protein synthesis and nitrogen metabolism in growing doublemuscled Belgian Blue bulls. J. Anim. Sci. 82:1818-1825.
- Verbic, J., X. B. Chen and N. A. Macleod. 1990. Excretion of purine derivatives by ruminants. Effect of microbial nucleic acid infusion on purine derivative excretion by steers. J. Agric. Sci. 114:243-248. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0021859600072610
- Weiss, W. P. 1999. Energy prediction equations for ruminant feeds. In: CORNELL NUTRITION CONFERENCE FOR FEED MANUFACTURERS, 61, 1999, Ithaca. Proceedings... Ithaca: Cornell University, 1999, p. 176-185.
- Wilson, P. N. and D. F. Osbourn. 1960. Compensatory growth after under nutrition in mammals and birds. Biological Reviews 35(3):324-363.
- Yan, T., J. P. Frost. and T. W. J. Keady. 2007. Prediction of nitrogen excretion in feces and urine of beef cattle offered diets containing grass silage. J. Anim. Sci. 85:1982-1989. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2006-408
- Zanton, G. I. and A. J. Heinrichs. 2008. Analysis of nitrogen utilization and excretion in growing dairy cattle. J. Dairy Sci. 91(4):p.1519-1533. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2007-0624
- Feed restriction followed by realimentation in prepubescent Zebu females vol.45, pp.5, 2013, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11250-012-0341-8
- Milk production, intake, digestion, blood parameters, and ingestive behavior of cows supplemented with by-products from the biodiesel industry vol.47, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11250-014-0706-2
- Licuri oil supplements for lactating cows on pasture vol.95, pp.4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4141/cjas-2014-165
- Effects of Static or Oscillating Dietary Crude Protein Levels on Fermentation Dynamics of Beef Cattle Diets Using a Dual-Flow Continuous Culture System vol.11, pp.12, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0169170
- Performance, nitrogen balance and microbial efficiency of beef cattle under concentrate supplementation strategies in intensive management of a tropical pasture vol.48, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11250-015-0991-4
- Effects of quantitative feed restriction and sex on carcass traits, meat quality and meat lipid profile of Morada Nova lambs vol.8, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1186/s40104-017-0175-3
- Feed restriction and realimentation in Holstein–Friesian bulls: II. Effect on blood pressure and systemic concentrations of metabolites and metabolic hormones1 vol.93, pp.7, 2015, https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2014-8471
- Plane of nutrition before and after 6 months of age in Holstein-Friesian bulls: II. Effects on metabolic and reproductive endocrinology and identification of physiological markers of puberty and sexual maturation vol.101, pp.4, 2018, https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2017-13720