- Volume 24 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
The Effect of Energy Supplementation on Intake and Utilisation Efficiency of Urea-treated Low-quality Roughage in Sheep II. Rumen Kinetics and Acetate Clearance Rate
- Migwi, P.K. ;
- Godwin, I. ;
- Nolan, J.V.
- Received : 2010.08.07
- Accepted : 2010.12.20
- Published : 2011.06.01
Inadequate supply of glucose or glucogenic substrates to the body tissues can affect metabolism of absorbed acetogenic metabolites from the gut and therefore, influence feed intake in ruminants. This study investigated the effect of energy supplementation on rumen kinetics in the gut, and the acetate clearance rate in the body tissues of sheep fed low quality basal roughage. A basal diet consisting of urea-treated mixture of wheaten chaff and barley straw (3:1 DM) containing 22.2 g N/kg DM was used. Four Merino cross wethers weighing
Acetate Clearance Rate;Glucogenic Potential;Rumen Liquid Kinetics;Substrate Cycle
- AOAC. 1990. Official methods of analysis, Assoc. Official Analytical Chemists, Washington DC.
- Blaxter, K. L. 1967. The energy metabolism in ruminants (2nd Edition). Hutchinson Scientific and Technical, London.
- Brockman, R. P. 1993. Glucose and short-chain fatty acid metabolism. In: Quantitative Aspects of Ruminant Digestion and Metabolism (Ed. J. M. Forbes and J. France). pp. 249-265. (CAB International, Cambridge, UK).
- Crabtree, B., S. Marr, S. E. Anderson and J. C. MacRae. 1987. Measurement of the rate of substrate cycling between acetate and acetyl-CoA in sheep muscle in vivo: Effects of infusion of acetate. Biochem. J. 243:821-827.
- Crabtree, B., M. J. Gordon and S. L. Christie. 1990. Measurement of the rate of acetyl-CoA hydrolysis and synthesis from acetate in rat hepatocytes and the role of these fluxes in substrate cycling. Biochem. J. 270:219-225.
- Cronje, P. B. 1987. Acetate clearance rate and the metabolism of glucose, acetate and amino acids in lambs fed roughage diets. PhD Thesis, University of New England, Armidale, Australia.
- Cronje, P. B., J. V. Nolan and R. A. Leng. 1991. Acetate clearance as a potential index of the availability of glucogenic precursors in ruminants fed roughage-based diets. Br. J. Nutr. 66:301-312. https://doi.org/10.1079/BJN19910033
- Downes, A. M. and I. W. McDonald. 1964. The Chromium-51 complex of the ethylenediamine tetra-acetic acid as soluble rumen marker. Br. J. Nutr. 26:153-162.
- Egan, A. R. 1977. Nutritional status and intake regulation in sheep. VIII. Relationship between the voluntary intake of herbage and protein/energy ratio in the digestion products. Aust. J. Agric. Res. 28:907-915. https://doi.org/10.1071/AR9770907
- Erwin, E. S., G. J. Macro and E. M. Emery. 1961. Volatile fatty acid analysis of blood and rumen fluid by gas chromatography. J. Dairy Sci. 44:1768-1771. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(61)89956-6
- Ferrell, C. L., K. K. Kreikmeremeier and H. C. Freetly. 1999. The effect of supplementing energy, nitrogen and protein on feed intake, digestibility, and nitrogen flux across the gut and liver in sheep fed low-quality forage. J. Anim. Sci. 77:3353-3364.
- Fonseca, A. J. M., A. A. Dias-da-Silva and A. L. G. Laurenco. 2001. Effect of maize and citrus pulp supplementation of ureatreated wheat straw on intake and productivity in female lambs. J. Anim. Sci. 73:123-136.
- Illius, A. W. and N. S. Jessop. 1996. Metabolic constraints on voluntary intake in ruminants. J. Anim. Sci. 74:3052-3062.
- Lee, G. J., D. W. Hennessy, J. V. Nolan and R. A. Leng. 1987. Response to nitrogen and maize supplements by young cattle offered low quality pasture hay. Aust. J. Agric. Res. 38:195-207. https://doi.org/10.1071/AR9870195
- Leng, R. A. 1990. Factors affecting the utilization of 'poor quality' forage by ruminants particularly under tropical conditions. Nutr. Res. Rev. 3:277-303. https://doi.org/10.1079/NRR19900016
- MacRae, J. C. and G. E. Lobley. 1982. Some factors that affect thermal energy losses during the metabolism in ruminants. Livest. Prod. Sci. 9:447-456. https://doi.org/10.1016/0301-6226(82)90050-1
- MacRae, J. C., J. S. Smith, P. J. Dewey, A. C. Brewer, D. S. Brown and A. Walker. 1985. The efficiency of utilisation of ME and apparent absorption of amino acids in sheep given spring- and autumn harvested dried grass. Br. J. Nutr. 54:197-209. https://doi.org/10.1079/BJN19850105
- Okine, E. K., R. Cherry and J. J. Kennelly. 1994. Glucose and amino acid transport and metabolism in flat duodenal sheets of dairy cattle at three stages of lactation. Comp. Biochem. Physiol. 107A:719-726.
- Okine, E. K., D. R. Glimm, J. R. Thompson and J. J. Kennelly. 1995. Influence of stage of lactation on glucose and glutamine metabolism in isolated enterocytes from dairy cattle. Clinc. Exp. Metabol. 44:325-331. https://doi.org/10.1016/0026-0495(95)90162-0
- Orskov, E. R. 1982. Modification of rumen fermentation: In Nutritional Limits to Animal Production from Pastures. Proceedings International Symposium, University of Queensland (Ed. J. B. Hacker). pp 427-453. (CAB International).
- Orskov, E. R. 1986. Starch digestion and utilization in ruminants. J. Anim. Sci. 63:1624-1633.
- Orskov, E. R., R. W. Mayes and S. O. Mann. 1972. Postruminal digestion of sucrose in sheep. Br. J. Nutr. 28:425-432. https://doi.org/10.1079/BJN19720052
- Preston, T. R. and R. A. Leng. 1987. Matching ruminant production systems with available resources in the tropics and subtropics. (Penambul Books, Armidale, Australia).
- Royes, J. B., W. F. Brown, F. G. Martin and D. B. Bates. 2001. Source and level of energy supplementation for yearling cattle fed ammoniated hay. J. Anim. Sci. 79:1313-1321.
- Ryan, B. F., B. L. Joiner and T. A. Rayan. 1985. Minitab Handbook (2nd Ed), PWS Publishers, Boston, USA.
- Siddons, R. C. 1968. Carbohydrase activities in the bovine digestive tract. Biochem. J. 108:839.
- Walker, D. M. 1959. The development of the digestive system of the young animal. III. Carbohydrase enzyme development in the young lamb. J. Agric. Sci. 53:374-380. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0021859600020797
- Weston, R. H. 1966. The effect of level of feeding on acetate tolerance in the sheep. Aust. J. Agric. Res. 17:933-937. https://doi.org/10.1071/AR9660933
- Wolin, M. J. 1981. Fermentation in the rumen and human large intestines. Science 213:1463-1468. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.7280665
- Zhao, F., E. K. Okine, C. I. Cheeseman, P. Soraya, S. P. Shirazi- Beechy and J. J. Kennelly. 1998. Glucose transporter gene expression in lactating bovine gastrointestinal tract. J. Anim. Sci. 76:2921-2929.
- Zhao, F., E. K. Okine and J. J. Kennelly. 1999. Glucose transporter gene expression in bovine mammary gland. J. Anim. Sci. 77: 2517-2522.