- Volume 24 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Changes of Immunoglobulins and Lymphocyte Subpopulations in Peripheral Blood from Holstein Calves Challenged with Escherichia coli Lipopolysaccharide
- Kim, M.H. (Department of Agricultural Biotechnology and Research Institute for Agriculture and Life Sciences, College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, Seoul National University) ;
- Yun, C.H. (Department of Agricultural Biotechnology and Research Institute for Agriculture and Life Sciences, College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, Seoul National University) ;
- Kim, G.R. (Department of Agricultural Biotechnology and Research Institute for Agriculture and Life Sciences, College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, Seoul National University) ;
- Ko, J.Y. (Jeonnam Branch, Nonghyupfeed) ;
- Lee, Jung-Joo (Department of Animal Science, Chungbuk National University) ;
- Ha, Jong-K. (Department of Agricultural Biotechnology and Research Institute for Agriculture and Life Sciences, College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, Seoul National University)
- Received : 2010.12.08
- Accepted : 2011.03.07
- Published : 2011.05.01
The objective of this study was to characterize serum immunoglobulins and lymphocytes subpopulations in the peripheral blood mononuclear cells (PBMCs) of Holstein calves in response to lipopolysaccharide (LPS) challenge from Escherichia coli. Fourteen calves received subcutaneous injections of E. coli LPS at 10 weeks of age, and six calves were injected with saline as a control. The concentrations of total serum IgG and the relative amount of LPS-specific IgG in calves challenged with LPS were significantly higher (p<0.05) compared to control animals and LPS challenge significantly increased (p<0.05) the percentage of
- Acres, S. D. 1985. Enterotoxigenic E. coli infections in newborn calves: A review. J. Dairy Sci. 68:229-256. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(85)80814-6
- Andersson, J., G. MOller and O. SjOberg. 1972. Selective induction of DNA synthesis in T and B lymphocytes. Cell. Immunol. 4:381-393. https://doi.org/10.1016/0008-8749(72)90040-8
- Burvenich, C., V. Van Merris, J. Mehrzad, A. Diez-Fraile and L. Duchateau. 2003. Severity of E. coli mastitis is mainly determined by cow factors. Vet. Res. 34:521-564. https://doi.org/10.1051/vetres:2003023
- Coutinho, A., E. Gronowicz, G. MOller and H. Lemke. 1976. Polyclonal B cell activators. In Mitogens in Immunology (Ed. J. J. Oppenheim and D. L. Rosenstreich). Academic Press, New York, USA, pp. 173-190.
- Dailey, M. O. 1998. Expression of T lymphocyte adhesion molecules: Regulation during antigen-induced T-cell activation and differentiation. Crit. Rev. Immunol. 18:153-184. https://doi.org/10.1615/CritRevImmunol.v18.i3.10
- Deluyker, H. A., P. Rossitto, S. N. Van Oye and J. S. Cullor. 2004. Efficacy of an Escherichia coli J-5 mutant strain bacterin in the protection of calves from endotoxin disease caused by subcutaneous challenge with endotoxins from Escherichia coli. Vaccine 23:709-717. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.vaccine.2004.05.021
- Elsasser, T. H., M. Richards, R. Collier and G. F. Hartnell. 1996. Physiological responses to repeated endotoxin challenge are selectively affected by recombinant bovine somatotropin administration to calves. Domest. Anim. Endocrinol. 13:91-103. https://doi.org/10.1016/0739-7240(95)00048-8
- Foot, M. R., B. J. Nonnecke, M. A. Fowler, B. L. Miller, D. C. Beitz and W. R. Waters. 2005. Effects of age and nutrition on expression of CD25, CD44 and L-selectin (CD62L) on T cells from neonatal calves. J. Dairy Sci. 88:2718-2729. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(05)72951-9
- Foot, M. R., B. J. Nonnecke, D. C. Beitz and W. R. Waters. 2007. Antigen-specific B-cell responses by neonatal calves after early vaccination. J. Dairy Sci. 90:5208-5207. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2007-0285
- Freudenberg, M. A., M. Thomas, G. Marina, K. Christoph, L. Regine and G. Chris. 2001. Role of lipopolysaccharide susceptibility in the innate immune response to Salmonella typhimurium infection: LPS, a primary target for recognition of Gram-negative bacteria. Microbes Infect. 3:1213-1222. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1286-4579(01)01481-2
- Goodman, M. G. and W. O. Weigle. 1979. T cell regulation of polyclonal B cell responsiveness. I. Helper effects of T cells. J. Immunol. 122:2548-2553.
- Jyonouchi, H., R. M. Voss and R. A. Good. 1990. Up-regulation and down-regulation of cell surface and MRNA expression of CD5 antigen by various humoral factors on murine 70z/3 pre-B cell leukemia cell line: IL-4 down-regulates CD5 antigen expression. Cell. Immunol. 130:66-78. https://doi.org/10.1016/0008-8749(90)90162-K
- Kim, M. H., C. H. Yun, J. Y. Ko, J. S. Kang, H. S. Kim, S. J. Kang, W. S. Lee, J. H. Kim and J. K. Ha. 2009. Changes of immunophysiological characteristics in neonatal calves experimentally challenge with mixture of live bacteria and virus. J. Dairy Sci. 92:5534-5543. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2008-1908
- Kinsbergen, M., R. M. Bruckmainer and J. W. Blum. 1994. Metabolic, endocrine and hematological responses to intravenous E. coli endotoxin administration in 1-week-old calves. Zentralbl Veterinarmed A. 41:530-547. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1439-0442.1994.tb00121.x
- Morrison, D. C. and J. L. Ryan. 1979. Bacterial endotoxins and host immune response. Adv. Immunol. 28:293-450.
- Nonnecke, B. J., W. R. Waters, M. R. Foote, M. V. Palmer, B. L. Miller, T. E. Johnson, H. B. Perry and M. A. Fowler. 2005. Development of an adult-like cell-mediated immune response in calves after early immunization with Mycobacterium bovis bacillus Calmette- Guerin. J. Dairy Sci. 88:195-210. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(05)72678-3
- Perkins, K. H., M. J. Vandehaar, R. J. Tempelman and J. L. Burton. 2001. Negative energy balance does not decrease expression of leukocyte adhesion or antigen-presenting molecules in cattle. J. Dairy Sci. 84:421-428. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(01)74492-X
- Rings, D. M. 1985. Salmonellosis in calves. Vet. Clin. North Am. Food Anim. Pract. 1:529-539.
- Riollet, C., P. Rainard and B. Poutrel. 2001. Cell subpopulations and cytokine expression in cow milk in response to chronic staphylococcus aureus infection. J. Dairy Sci. 84:1077-1084. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(01)74568-7
- Sandbulte, M. R. and J. A. Roth. 2002. T-cell populations responsive to bovine respiratory syncytial virus in seronegative calves. Vet. Immunol. Immunopathol. 84:111-123. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0165-2427(01)00393-2
- Shinohara, N. and M. Kern. 1976. Differentiation of lymphoid cells: B cell as a direct target and T cell as a regulator in lipopolysaccharide-enhanced induction of immunoglobulin production. J. Immunol. 116:1607-1612.
- Tough, D. F., S. Siquan and S. Jonathan. 1997. T cells stimulation in vivo by Lipopolysaccharide (LPS). J. Exp. Med. 185:2089-2094. https://doi.org/10.1084/jem.185.12.2089
- Vanden Bush, T. J. and R. F. Rosenbusch. 2003. Characterization of the immune response to Mycoplasma bovis lung infection. Vet. Immunol. Immunopathol. 94:23-33. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0165-2427(03)00056-4
- Vogel, S. N., M. L. Hilfiker and M. J. Caulfield. 1983. Endotoxin-induced T lymphocyte proliferation. J. Immunol. 130:1774-1779.
- Waters, W. R., T. E. Rahner, M. V. Palmer, D. Cheng, B. J. Nonnecke and D. J. Whipple. 2003. Expression of L-selectin (CD62L), CD44, and CD25 on activated bovine T cells. Infect. Immun. 71:317-326. https://doi.org/10.1128/IAI.71.1.317-326.2003
- Stress, acute phase proteins and immune modulation in calves vol.54, pp.10, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1071/AN14441