- Volume 24 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Effects of the Combined Stress Induced by Stocking Density and Feed Restriction on Hematological and Cytokine Parameters as Stress Indicators in Laying Hens
- Kang, Sun-Young ;
- Ko, Young-Hyun ;
- Moon, Yang-Soo ;
- Sohn, Sea-Hwan ;
- Jang, In-Surk
- Received : 2010.08.30
- Accepted : 2010.12.07
- Published : 2011.03.01
A study was conducted to investigate the effects of the combined stressor induced by high stocking density with feed restriction on immunological parameters such as leukocyte differential counts and cytokine expression in laying hens. A total of forty White Leghorn laying hens were randomly allotted into the control (12 kg of body weight/
The Combined Stressor;Stocking Density;Feed Restriction;Hematological Values;Cytokines;Laying Hens
- Andrews, S. M., H. M. Omed and C. J. Phillips. 1997. The effect of a single or repeated period of high stocking density on the behavior and response to stimuli in broiler chickens. Poult. Sci. 76(12):1655-1660. https://doi.org/10.1093/ps/76.12.1655
- Belmore, J., H. K. Kang, Y. J. Kim, V. K. Subramani, I. S. Jang, S. H. Sohn and Y. S. Moon. 2010. The effect of stocking density on stress related genes and telomeric broiler chickens. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 23:437-443. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2010.90400
- Buijs, S., L. Keeling, S. Rettenbacher, E. Van Poucke and F. A. Tuyttens. 2009. Stocking density effects on broiler welfare: identifying sensitive ranges for different indicators. Poult. Sci. 88(8):1536-1543. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.2009-00007
- Cook, M. E. 1991. Nutrition and immune response of the domestic fowl. CRC Crit. Rev. Poult. Biol. 3:167-189.
- Delezie, E., Q. Swennen, J. Buyse and E. Decuypere. 2007. The effect of feed withdrawal and crating density in transit on metabolism and meat quality of broilers at slaughter weight. Polut. Sci. 86:1414-1423. https://doi.org/10.1093/ps/86.7.1414
- de Jong, I. C., A. S. van Voorst and H. J. Blokhuis. 2003. Parameters for quantification of hunger in broiler breeders. Physiol. Behav. 78:773-783. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0031-9384(03)00058-1
- de Jong, I. C., S. van Voorst, D. A. Ehlhardt and H. J. Blokhuis. 2002. Effects of restricted feeding on physiological stress parameters in growing broiler breeders. Br. Poult. Sci. 43(2):157-168. https://doi.org/10.1080/00071660120121355
- Fassbinder-Orth, C. A. and W. H. Karasov. 2006. Effects of feed restriction and realimentation on digestive and immune function in the leghorn chick. Poult. Sci. 80:1449-1456.
- Felten, S. Y., K. S. Madden, D. L. Bellinger, B. Kruszewska, J. A. Moynihan and D. L. Felten. 1998. The role of the sympathetic nervous system in the modulation of immune responses. Adv. Pharmacol. 42:583-587.
- Guzik, T. J., R. Korbut and T. Adamek-Guzik. 2003. Nitric oxide and superoxide in inflammation and immune regulation. J. Physiol. Pharmacol. 54(4):469-487.
- Hangalapura, B. N., M. G. Kaiser, J. J. Poel, H. K. Parmentier and S. J. Lamont. 2006. Cold stress equally enhances in vivo pro-inflammatory cytokine gene expression in chicken lines divergently selected for antibody responses. Dev. Comp. Immunol. 30(5):503-511. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.dci.2005.07.001
- Hocking, P. M., M. H. Maxwell and M. A. Mitchell. 1994. Haematology and blood composition at two ambient temperatures in genetically fat and lean adult broiler breeder females fed ad libitum or restricted throughout life. Br. Poult. Sci. 35(5):799-807. https://doi.org/10.1080/00071669408417744
- Hong, Y. H., H. S. Lillehoj, S. H. Lee, D. W. Park and E. P. Lillehoj. 2006. Molecular cloning and characterization of chicken lipopolysaccharide-induced TNF-alpha factor (LITAF). Dev. Comp. Immunol. 30(10):919-929. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.dci.2005.12.007
- Huff, G. R., W. E. Huff, J. M. Balog, N. C. Rath, N. B. Anthony and K. E. Nestor. 2005. Stress response differences and disease susceptibility reflected by heterophil to lymphocyte ratio in turkeys selected for increased body weight. Poult. Sci. 84(5):707-717.
- Janeway, C. A., P. Travers, M. Walport and M. Shlomchik. 2001. The adaptive immune responses. In; Immunology V (Ed. C. A. Janeway). Garland Publishing New York, NY. pp. 295-381.
- Jang, I. S., S. Y. Kang, Y. H. Ko, Y. S. Moon and S. H. Sohn. 2009. Effect of qualitative and quantitative feed restriction on growth performance and immune function in broiler chickens. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 22(3):388-395. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2009.80513
- Jolly, C. A. 2004. Dietary restriction and immune function. J. Nutr. 134(8):1853-1856.
- Khajavi, M., S. Rahimi, Z. M. Hassan, M. A. Kamali and T. Mousavi. 2003. Effect of feed restriction early in life on humoral and cellular immunity of two commercial broiler strains under heat stress conditions. Br. Poult. Sci. 44(3):490-497. https://doi.org/10.1080/000071660310001598328
- Liew, P. K., I. Zulkifli, M. Hair-Bejo, A. R. Omar and D. A. Israf. 2003. Effects of early age feed restriction and heat conditioning on heat shock protein 70 expression, resistance to infectious bursal disease, and growth in male broiler chickens subjected to heat stress. Poult. Sci. 82(12):1879-1885. https://doi.org/10.1093/ps/82.12.1879
- Mashaly, M. M., G. L. 3rd Hendricks, M. A. Kalama, A. E. Gehad, A. O. Abbas and P. H. Patterson. 2004. Effect of heat stress on production parameters and immune responses of commercial laying hens. Poult. Sci. 83(6):889-894. https://doi.org/10.1093/ps/83.6.889
- Mashaly, M. M., M. L. Webb, S. L. Youtz, W. B. Roush and H. B. Graves. 1984. Changes in serum corticosterone concentration of laying hens as a response to increased population density. Poult. Sci. 63(11):2271-2274. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.0632271
- Maxwell, M. H., G. W. Robertson, S. Spence and C. C. McCorquodale. 1990. Comparison of hematological values in restricted- and ad libitum-fed domestic fowls: red blood cell characteristics. Br. Poult. Sci. 31(2):407-413. https://doi.org/10.1080/00071669008417271
- McFarlane, J. M. and S. E. Curtis. 1989. Multiple concurrent stressors in chicks. 3. Effects on plasma corticosterone and the heterophil:lymphocyte ratio. Poult. Sci. 68(4):522-527. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.0680522
- Mtileni, B. J., K. A. Nephawe and A. E. Nesamvuni. 2007. The influence of stocking density on body weight, egg weight, and feed intake of adult broiler breeder hens. Poult. Sci. 86:1615-1619. https://doi.org/10.1093/ps/86.8.1615
- Nicol, C. J., S. N. Brown, E. Glen, S. J. Pope, F. J. Short, P. D. Warriss, P. H. Zimmerman and L. J. Wilkins. 2006. Effects of stocking density, flock size and management on the welfare of laying hens in single-tier aviaries. Br. Poult. Sci. 47(2):135-146. https://doi.org/10.1080/00071660600610609
- Ozkan, S., I. Plavnik and S. Yahav. 2006. Effects of early feed restriction on performance and asscites development in broiler chickens subsequently raised at low ambient temperature. J. Appl. Poult. Res. 15:9-19. https://doi.org/10.1093/japr/15.1.9
- Patterson, P. H. and H. S. Siegel. 1998. Impact of cage density on pullet performance and blood parameters of stress. Poult. Sci. 77(1):32-40 https://doi.org/10.1093/ps/77.1.32
- Puvadolpirod, S. and J. P. Thaxton. 2000. Model of physiological stress in chickens 1. Response parameters. Poult. Sci. 79(3):363-369. https://doi.org/10.1093/ps/79.3.363
- SAS. 1989. SAS/STAT User's Guide, Version 6, 4th Edition. Vol 2. SAS Ins., Cary, NC.
- Shi, X. and A. L. Nuttall. 2003. Upregulated iNOS and oxidative damage to the cochlear stria vascularis due to noise stress. Brain Res. 967(1-2):1-10. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0006-8993(02)04090-8
- Shini, S. and P. Kaiser. 2009. Effects of stress, mimicked by administration of corticosterone in drinking water, on the expression of chicken cytokine and chemokine genes in lymphocytes. Stress 12(5):388-399. https://doi.org/10.1080/10253890802526894
- Star, L., M. G. B. Nieuwland, B. Kemp and H. K. Parmentier. 2007. Effect of single or combined climatic and hygienic stress on natural and specific humoral immune competence in four layer lines. Poult. Sci. 86:1894-1903. https://doi.org/10.1093/ps/86.9.1894
- Thaxton, J. P., W. A. Dozier 3rd, S. L. Branton, G. W. Morgan, D. W. Miles, W. B. Roush, B. D. Lott and Y. Vizzier-Thaxton. 2006. Stocking density and physiological adaptive response of broilers. Poult. Sci. 85(5):819-824. https://doi.org/10.1093/ps/85.5.819
- Turkyilmaz, M. K. 2008. Effect of stocking density on stress reaction in broiler chickens during summer. Turk. J. Vet. Anim. Sci. 32(1):31-36.
- Ubosi, C. O., W. B. Gross, P. B. Hamilton, M. Ehrich and P. B. Siegel. 1985. Aflatoxin effects in white Leghorn chickens selected for response to sheep erythrocyte antigen. 2. Serological and organ characteristics. Poult. Sci. 64(6):1071-1076. https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.0641071
- Zimmerman, P. H., A. C. Lindberg, S. J. Pope, E. Glen, J. E. Bolhuis and C. J. Nicol. 2006. The effect of stocking density, flock size and modified management on laying hen behavior and welfare in a non-cage system. Appl. Anim. Behav. Sci. 101:111-124. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.applanim.2006.01.005
- Effect of Housing Systems of Cage and Floor on the Production Performance and Stress Response in Layer vol.38, pp.4, 2011, https://doi.org/10.5536/KJPS.2011.38.4.305
- The Effects of Dietary Supplementation of Vitamin C and E on the Growth Performance and the Stress Response in Broiler Chickens vol.40, pp.1, 2013, https://doi.org/10.5536/KJPS.2013.40.1.031
- The Effects of Dietary Supplementation of Vitamin C or E on the Expressions of Endoplasmic Reticulum Stress, Lipid and Glucose Metabolism Associated Genes in Broiler Chickens vol.40, pp.2, 2013, https://doi.org/10.5536/KJPS.2013.40.2.147
- Effects of Housing Systems on Physiological and Immunological Parameters in Laying Hens vol.55, pp.2, 2013, https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2013.55.2.131
- Comparison of Stress Response between Korean Native Chickens and Single Comb White Leghorns subjected to a High Stocking Density vol.41, pp.2, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5536/KJPS.2014.41.2.115
- The Effect of Stocking Density and Strain on the Performance and Physiological Adaptive Responses in Broiler Chickens vol.41, pp.3, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5536/KJPS.2014.41.3.205
- Dynamics of telomere length in the chicken vol.70, pp.04, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1017/S0043933914000804
- The Effect of Cooled Perches on Immunological Parameters of Caged White Leghorn Hens during the Hot Summer Months vol.10, pp.10, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0141215
- Analysis of Stress Response of Domestic Chicken Breeds for the Development of a New Synthetic Parent Stock vol.42, pp.2, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5536/KJPS.2015.42.2.157
- Effects of age and season on haematological parameters of donkeys during the rainy and cold–dry seasons vol.59, pp.12, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1007/s00484-015-0989-7
- The effects of fermented soybean meal on immunophysiological and stress-related parameters in Holstein calves after weaning vol.95, pp.9, 2012, https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2012-5317