- Volume 24 Issue 3
Kura clover (Trifolium ambiguum M. Bieb.) is a potentially useful perennial legume because of its excellent nutritive value and persistence under environmental extremes. However, information about forage quality of kura clover - grass mixtures adapted to the North-Central USA is limited. Objectives of this research were to determine forage nutritional value of kura clover-grass mixtures under different harvest frequency and cutting height regimes. 'Rhizo' kura clover was grown alone and in binary mixtures with 'Park' Kentucky bluegrass (Poa pratensis L.), 'Comet' orchardgrass (Dactylis glomerata L.), and 'Badger' smooth bromegrass (Bromus inermis Leyss.) at the Arlington Agricultural Research Station located near Madison, WI. Three harvest frequencies (
Forage Quality;Kura Clover;Mixtures
- Akin, D. E. and E. L. Robinson. 1982. Structure of leaves and stems of arrowleaf and crimson clovers as related to in vitro digestibility. Crop. Sci. 22:24-29. https://doi.org/10.2135/cropsci1982.0011183X002200010006x
- Akin, D. E., F. E. Barton II, and S. W. Coleman. 1983. Structural factors affecting leaf degradation of old world bluestem and weeping love grass. J. Anim. Sci. 56:1434-1446.
- Allinson, D. W., G. S. Speer, R. W. Taylor and K. Guillard. 1985. Nutritional characteristics of kura clover (Trifolium ambiguum Bieb.) compared with other forage legumes. J. Agric. Sci. 104:227-229. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0021859600043161
- Bremner, J. M. 1965. Total nitrogen. p. 1149-1178 In C. A. Black (ed.) Methods of soil analysis. Part 2. 2nd ed. Agron. Monogr. 9. ASA and SSSA, Madison, WI.
- Bremner, J. M. and G. A. Breitenbeck. 1983. A simple method for determination of ammonium in semimicro-Kjeldahl analysis of soils and plant materials using a block digester. Commun. Soil Sci. Plant Anal. 14:905-913. https://doi.org/10.1080/00103628309367418
- Burns, J. C., L. Goode, H. D. Gross and A. C. Linnerud. 1973. Cow and calf gains in ladino clover-tall fescue and tall fescue, grazed alone and with Coastal bermudagrass. Agron. J. 65:877-880. https://doi.org/10.2134/agronj1973.00021962006500060009x
- Carter, R. C., C. Y. Ward, R. S. McClaugherty, R. E. Blaser and J. S. Copenhaver. 1963. Intensive production of spring lambs from pasture. J. Anim. Sci. 22:209-213.
- Contreras-Govea, F. E., K. A. Albrecht and R. E. Muck. 2006. Spring yield and silage characteristics of kura clover, winter wheat, and in Mixtures. Agron. J. 98:781-787. https://doi.org/10.2134/agronj2005.0248
- Frame, J. and P. Newbould. 1986. Agronomy of white clover. Adv. Agron. 40:1-88. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0065-2113(08)60280-1
- Hintz, R. W., D. R. Mertens and K. A. Albrecht. 1996. Effects of sodium sulfite on recovery and composition of detergent fiber and lignin. J. Assoc. Off. Anal. Chem. 76:16-22.
- Kim, B. W. and K. A. Albrecht. 2008. Yield and species composition of binary mixtures of Kura clover with kentucky bluegrass, orchardgrass, or smooth bromegrass. Aisan-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 21(7):995-1002. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2008.70316
- Morrison, I. M. 1980. Changes in the lignin and heimcellulose concentrations of ten varieties of temperate grasses with increasing maturity. Grass Forage Sci. 35:287-293. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2494.1980.tb01525.x
- Mourino, F., K. A. Albrecht, D. M. Schaefer and P. Berzaghi. 2003. Steer performance on Kura clover-grass and red clover-grass mixed pastures. Agron. J. 95:652-695. https://doi.org/10.2134/agronj2003.0652
- Nelson, C. J. and L. E. Moser. 1994. Plant factors affecting forage quality. p. 115-154. In: Forage quality, evaluation, and utilization (Ed. G. C. Fahey, Jr., M. Collins, D. R. Mertens, and L. E. Moser). ASA-CSSA-SSSA, Madison, WI.
- Peterson, P. R., C. C. Sheaffer, R. M. Jordan and C. J. Christians. 1994. Responses of kura clover to sheep grazing and clipping: I. Yield and forage quality. Agron. J. 86:655-660. https://doi.org/10.2134/agronj1994.00021962008600040013x
- Petritz, D. C., V. L. Lechtenberg and W. H. Smith. 1980. Performance and economic returns of beef cows and calves grazing grass-legume herbage. Agron. J. 72:581-584. https://doi.org/10.2134/agronj1980.00021962007200040002x
- Robertson, J. B. and P. J. Van Soest. 1981. The detergent system of analysis and its application to human foods. p. 123-158 In: The analysis of dietary fiber in food (Ed. W. P. T. James and O. Theander). Marcel Dekker, New York, NY.
- Rohweder, D. A., N. A. Jorgensen and R. F Barnes. 1981. Proposed hay grading standards based on laboratory analyses for evaluating quality. p. 534-538. In: Proc. XIV (Ed. J. A. Smith and V. W. Hays) Int. Grassl. Congr, Lexington, KY. 15-24 June 1981. Westview Press, Boulder, CO.
- SAS Institute, Inc. 1988. SAS/STAT user's guide: release 6.03 th ed. SAS Inst., Inc., Cary, NC.
- Sheaffer, C. C. and G. C. Marten. 1991. Kura clover forage yield, forage quality, and stand dynamics. Can. J. Plant Sci. 71:1169-1172. https://doi.org/10.4141/cjps91-163
- Sheaffer, C. C., G. C. Marten, R. M. Jordan and E. A. Ristau. 1992. Forage potential of kura clover and birdsfoot trefoil when grazed by sheep. Agron. J. 84:176-180. https://doi.org/10.2134/agronj1992.00021962008400020010x
- Sleugh, B., K. J. Moore, J. R. George and E. C. Brummer. 2000. Binary legume-grass mixtures improve forage yield, quality, and seasonal distribution. Agron. J. 92:24-29. https://doi.org/10.2134/agronj2000.92124x
- Speer, G. S. and D. W. Allinson. 1984. Response of kura clover (Trifolium ambiguum Bieb.) to defoliation, phosphorus, and boron treatments. p. 73-77. In Proc. Am. For. Grassl. Coun. Lexington, KY.
- Thomson, D. J. 1984. The nutritive value of white clover. p. 78-92. In Forage legumes, Proc. Br. Grassl. Soc. Occa. Symp. 16.
- Ugherughe, P. O. 1986. Relationship between digestibility of Bromus inermis plant parts. J. Agron. Crop Sci. 157:136-143. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1439-037X.1986.tb00060.x
- Zemenchik, R. A., K. A. Albrecht and M. K. Schultz. 2001. Nitrogen replacement value of kura clover and birdsfoot trefoil in mixtures with cool-season grasses. Agron. J. 93:451-458. https://doi.org/10.2134/agronj2001.932451x
- Zemenchik, R. A., K. A. Alrecht and R. D. Shaver. 2002. Improved nutritive value of kura clover and birdsfoot trefoilgrass mixtures compared with grass monocultures. Agron. J. 94:1131-1138. https://doi.org/10.2134/agronj2002.1131
- Effect of seed component ratios and cutting regime on the performances of annual ryegrass and burr medic mixtures vol.11, pp.31, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5897/AJAR2016.11144
- Effects of grass–legume mixtures on the production and photosynthetic capacity of constructed grasslands in Inner Mongolia, China vol.67, pp.11, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1071/CP16063
- Effects of degrees of grass competition on spreading of Kura clover vol.63, pp.4, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1111/grs.12167