- Volume 17 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
The Effect of Emotional Intelligence on Organizational Performance in Clinical Nurses - A Preliminary Study for an Education Program of Organizational Performance -
임상간호사의 감성지능이 조직성과에 미치는 영향 - 조직성과 증진 교육프로그램을 위한 기초연구 -
- Received : 2011.02.17
- Accepted : 2011.03.29
- Published : 2011.04.30
Purpose: The purpose of this study was to discover the effect of emotional intelligence on organizational performance in clinical nurses regarding anger expression, job satisfaction, job commitment, and turnover intention. Methods: Data were collected by self-administered questionnaires from 162 clinical nurses in three university hospitals in 2008, and analyzed by the SPSS 14.0 Window program, using descriptive statistics, pearson correlation, and stepwise multiple regression. Results: Emotional intelligence showed a statistically significant association with each of anger expression-in, anger expression-control, job satisfaction, job commitment, turnover intention, and organizational performance. The multiple regression analysis also showed that organizational performance was statistically significant with job satisfaction, job commitment, and emotional intelligence respectively. 38.0% of the variation of organizational performance was explained by these variables. Conclusion: Emotional intelligence significantly affected organizational performance together with job satisfaction and job commitment. From this result, it could be concluded that nursing interventions for emotional intelligence have a positive effect on improving organizational performance. Further studies are needed to develop nursing intervention programs for emotional intelligence and test its effects on organizational performance.
- 김창희, 양승순, 김연자, 손연정, 유미애, 송주은 (2009). 간호사의 이직의도 구조모형. 간호행정학회지, 15(4), 550-562.
- 반영란 (2008). 간호사의 조직 커뮤니케이션 만족과 직무만족이 간호업무성과에 미치는 영향. 중앙대학교 대학원 석사학위논문, 서울.
- 이경희, 송정수 (2010). 간호사의 감성지능이 자기효능감과 직무스트레스에 미치는 영향. 간호행정학회지, 16(1), 17-25.
- 이원희, 송주은, 김주형, 김희정, 이주미, 김은영 (2009). 간호사의 특성분노 및 분노표현이 직무만족, 조직몰입, 조직성과에 미치는 영향. 간호행정학회지, 15(4), 539-549.
- 이주일 (2003). 조직 장면에서의 분노, 불안, 우울 정서. 한국심리학회지 산업 및 조직, 16(3), 19-58.
- 전겸구, 한덕웅, 이장호, Spielberger, C. D. (1997). 한국판 STAXI 척도 개발 : 분노와 혈압. 한국심리학회지 건강, 2(1), 60-78.
- 정명숙, 김광점 (2006). 감정노동과 상사의 감성지능이 간호사의 직무만족과 조직몰입에 미치는 영향. 병원경영학회지, 11(4), 1-18.
- 정정희 (2008). 임상간호사의 업무생산성 구조모형. 중앙대학교 대학원 박사학위논문, 서울.
- 정현영 (2006). 위탁급식업체 종사자의 감성리더쉽과 감성지능이 조직성과에 미치는 영향. 연세대학교 대학원 박사학위논문, 서울.
- Benson, G., Ploeg, J., & Brown, B. (2010). A cross sectional study of emotional intelligence in baccalaureate nursing students. Nurse Education Today, 30(1), 49-53. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2009.06.006
- Birks, Y., McKendree, J., & Watt, I. (2009). Emotional intelligence and perceived stress in healthcare students: a multi-institutional, multi-professional survey. BioMed Central Medical Education, 17(9), 61.
- Bluedorn, A. C. (1982). A unified model of turnover from organizations. Human Relations, 35(2), 135-153. https://doi.org/10.1177/001872678203500204
- Brewer, G. A., & Seldon, C. S. (2000). Why elephants gallo p: assessing and predicting organizational performance in federal agencies. Journal of Public Administration Research and Theory, 10(4), 685-711. https://doi.org/10.1093/oxfordjournals.jpart.a024287
- Codier, E., Kamikawa, C., Kooker, B. M., & Shoultz, J. (2009). Emotional intelligence, performance, and retention in clinical staff nurses. Nursing Administration Quarterly, 33(4), 310-6. https://doi.org/10.1097/NAQ.0b013e3181b9dd5d
- Fisher, J. E., Sass, S. M., Heller W., Silton, R. L., Edgar, J. C., Stewart, J. L., & Miller, G. A. (2010). Time course if processing emotional stimuli as a function of perceived emotional intelligence, anxiety, and depression. Emotion, 10(4), 486-497. https://doi.org/10.1037/a0018691
- Goleman, D. (1995). Emotional intelligence. New York: Bantam Books.
- Goleman, D., Boyatzis, R., & McKee, A. (2002). The emotional reality of teams. Journal of Organizationl Excellence, 21(2), 55-65. https://doi.org/10.1002/npr.10020
- Hefferman, M., Quinn-Griffin, M. T., McNulty, S. R., & Fitzpatrick, J. J. (2010). Self compassion and emotional intelligence in nurses. International Journal of Nursing Practice, 16(4), 366-373. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1440-172X.2010.01853.x
- Humphreys, J., Brunsen, B., & Davis, D. (2005). Emotional structure and commitment: implications for health care management. Journal of Health Organization and Management, 19(2), 120-129. https://doi.org/10.1108/14777260510600040
- Locke, E. A. (1976). The nature and causes of job satisfaction. In Dunnette, M. D. (Ed.). Handbook of industrial and organizational psychology. Chicago: Rand McNally.
- Mann, S. (2005). A health care model of emotional labour: an evaluation of the literature and development of a model. Journal of Health Organization and Management, 19, 4-5.
- McQueen, A. C. H. (2004). Emotional intelligence in nursing work. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 47(1), 101-108. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2648.2004.03069.x
- Mowday, R. T., Steers, R. M., & Porter, L. W. (1979). The measurement of organizational commitment. Journal of Vocational Behavior, 14, 223-247.
- Nikolaou, I., & Tsaousis, I. (2002). Emotional intelligence in the workplace: exploring its effects on occupational stress and organizational commitment. The International Journal of Organizational Analysis, 10, 327-342. https://doi.org/10.1108/eb028956
- Salovey, P., & Mayer, J. D. (1990). Emotional intelligence. Imagination, Cognition, and Personality, 9, 185-211. https://doi.org/10.2190/DUGG-P24E-52WK-6CDG
- Sener, E., Demirel, O., & Sarlak, K. (2009). The effect of the emotional intelligence on job satisfaction. Studies in Health Technology Informatics, 146, 710-711.
- Spielberger, C. D., Johnson, E. H., Russel, S. F., Crane, R. J., Jacobs, G. A., & Worden, T. J. (1985). The experience and expression of anger: Construction and validation of an anger expression scale. In Chesney M. A., & Rosenman R. (Eds.), Anger and hostility in cardiovascular and behavioral disorders. (pp 5-30). Washington DC: Hemisphere.
- Vitello-Cicciu, J. M. (2002). Exploring emotional intelligence : Implications for nursing leaders. The Journal of Nursing Administration, 32(4), 203-210. https://doi.org/10.1097/00005110-200204000-00009
- Weiss, H. M., & Cropanzano, R. (1996). Affective events theory: A theoretical discussion of structure, cause and consequences of affective experiences at work. Research in Organizational Behavior, 18, 1-74.
- Wong, C. S., & Law, K. S. (2002). The effect of leader and follower emotional intelligence on performance and attitude: an exploratory study. The Leadership Quarterly, 13, 243-273. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1048-9843(02)00099-1
- The Relationships in Emotional Intelligence, Job Satisfaction, and Quality of Nursing Service in Hospital Nurses vol.17, pp.6, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.6.326
- Influence of Emotional Intelligence and Organizational Commitment on Geriatric Nursing Practice of Nurses in Long-term Care Hospitals vol.17, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.17079/jkgn.2015.17.1.29
- The Effects of Leader's Emotional Intelligence and Nurse's own Emotional Intelligence on Organizational Commitment and Organizational Citizenship Behavior vol.19, pp.2, 2013, https://doi.org/10.5977/jkasne.2013.19.2.194
- Influence of Emotional Intelligence and Ego Resilience on Interpersonal Relationship of Nurses vol.16, pp.6, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2015.16.6.3902
- The Influences of Workplace Spirituality and Emotional Intelligence on the Organizational Citizenship Behavior for Clinical Nurses vol.10, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.12811/kshsm.2016.10.2.059
- Comparative Study of Emotional Intelligence, Organizational Citizenship Behavior, Organizational Commitment and Organizational Performance of Clinical Nurses in Korea vol.20, pp.4, 2014, https://doi.org/10.11111/jkana.2014.20.4.446
- An Empirical Analysis of the Impact of Hospital Employees' Emotional Intelligence on Emotional Labor Strategies and Innovative Activities vol.15, pp.12, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5392/JKCA.2015.15.12.387
- Factors Affecting Nursing College Students' Satisfaction with their Department vol.17, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2016.17.4.587
- Effects of Emotional Competence, Learning Organization, and Nursing Organization Culture among Nursing Performance of Clinical Nurses vol.11, pp.4, 2017, https://doi.org/10.12811/kshsm.2017.11.4.029
- Effects of Job Embeddedness and Emotional Intelligence on Performance of Nurses in Medium and Small sized Hospital vol.11, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.12811/kshsm.2017.11.1.055
Supported by : 한국연구재단