- Volume 45 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Web Search Behavior Analysis Based on the Self-bundling Query Method
웹검색 행태 연구 - 사용자가 스스로 쿼리를 뭉치는 방법으로 -
- 이중식 (서울대학교 융합과학기술대학원 차세대융합기술연구원)
- Received : 2011.04.15
- Accepted : 2011.05.13
- Published : 2011.05.30
Web search behavior has evolved. People now search using many diverse information devices in various situations. To monitor these scattered and shifting search patterns, an improved way of learning and analysis are needed. Traditional web search studies relied on the server transaction logs and single query instance analysis. Since people use multiple smart devices and their searching occurs intermittently through a day, a bundled query research could look at the whole context as well as penetrating search needs. To observe and analyze bundled queries, we developed a proprietary research software set including a log catcher, query bundling tool, and bundle monitoring tool. In this system, users' daily search logs are sent to our analytic server, every night the users need to log on our bundling tool to package his/her queries, a built in web survey collects additional data, and our researcher performs deep interviews on a weekly basis. Out of 90 participants in the study, it was found that a normal user generates on average 4.75 query bundles a day, and each bundle contains 2.75 queries. Query bundles were categorized by; Query refinement vs. Topic refinement and 9 different sub-categories.
Web Search;Bundled Query;Session;RTA;Categorization
- 김문성. 2011. 웹 검색행태 분석을 통한 사용자 유형 연구: 검색보조기술이 사용자 검색 행동에 미치는 영향. 석사학위논문, 서울대학교 융합과학기술대학원.
- 박소연, 이준호. 2001. 로그분석을 통한 인터넷 검색엔진 이용자의 웹 문서 검색 행태에 관한 연구. 한국문헌정보학회 학술논문발표집, 14: 61-73.
- Bates, M. J. 1989. "The design of browsing and berrypicking techniques for the online search interface." Online Information Review, 13(5): 407-431. https://doi.org/10.1108/eb024320
- Baxter, L., Montgomery, B., & Duck, S. 1994. Studying Interpersonal Interaction. New York: Guilford Press.
- Cha, M., Haddadi, H., Benevenuto, F., & Gummadi, K. 2010. "Measuring user influence in twitter: The million fallacy." Proceedings of International AAAI Conference on Weblogs and Social Media(ICWSM), May, 2010.
- Chang, S. J. 1993. "Browsing: A multidimensional framework." Annual Review of Informational Science, 28: 231-276.
- Choo, C., Detlor, B., & Turnbull, D. 1999. "Information seeking on the web: An integrated model of browsing and searching." Proceedings of the 62nd ASIS Annual Meeting, 36: 3-16. Oct. 31-Nov. 4, 1999. Washington, D.C.
- Jansen, B., et al. 2000. "Real life, real users, and real needs: A study and analysis of user queries on the web." Information Processing and Management, 36(2): 207-227. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0306-4573(99)00056-4
- Jansen, B., et al. 2002. "From e-sex to e-commerce: Web search changes, computers." IEEE Computer, 35(3): 107-109. https://doi.org/10.1109/2.989940
- Jansen, B., & Spink, A. 2003. "An analysis of web information seeking and use: Documents retrieved versus documents viewed." Proceedings of the 4th International Conference on Internet Computing, 65-69. June 23-26, 2003. Las Vegas, Nevada.
- Jansen, B., & Spink, A. 2006. "How are we searching the World Wide Web? A comparison of nine search engine transaction logs." Information Processing and Management, 42(1): 248-263. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ipm.2004.10.007
- Jansen, B., et al. 2007. "Defining a session on web search engines." Journal of the American Society for Information Science and Technology, 58(6): 862-871. https://doi.org/10.1002/asi.20564
- Kellar, M., Watters, C., & Shepherd, M. 2007. "A field study characterizing web-based information-seeking tasks." Journal of the American Society for Information Science and Technology, 58(7): 999-1018. https://doi.org/10.1002/asi.20590
- Kuhlthau, C. 1991. "Inside the search process: Information seeking from the user's perspective." Journal of the American Society for Information Science, 42(5): 361-371. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-4571(199106)42:5<361::AID-ASI6>3.0.CO;2-#
- Kwak, H., Lee, C., Park, H., & Moon, S. 2010. "What is twitter, a social network or a news media?" 19th International World Wide Web Conference, 591-600. Apr. 26-30, 2010. Raleigh NC.
- Nielson, J. 2006. Prioritizing Web Usability. Indianapolis: New Riders.
- Liu, B. 1998. Web Data Mining: Exploring Hyperlinks, Contents, and Usage Data. Berlin: Springer.
- Rice, E. 1993. Accessing and Browsing Information and Communication. Cambridge: MIT Press.
- Rose, D., & Levinson, D. 2004. Understanding user goals in web search. New York: ACM.
- Silverstein, C., et al. 1999. Analysis of a Very Large Web Search Engine Query Log. New York: ACM.
- Shi, X. 2007. "Mining related queries from web search engine query logs using an improved association rule mining model." Journal of the American Society for Information, 58(12): 1871-1883. https://doi.org/10.1002/asi.20632
- Spink, A., Wolfram, D., Jansen, M. B. J., & Saracevic, T. 2001. "Searching the web: The public and their queries." Journal of the American Society for Information Science and Technology, 52(3): 226-234. https://doi.org/10.1002/1097-4571(2000)9999:9999<::AID-ASI1591>3.0.CO;2-R
- Taylor, R. 1962. "The process of asking questions." American Documentation, 13(4): 391-396. https://doi.org/10.1002/asi.5090130405