- Volume 14 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Hand Tracking and Hand Gesture Recognition for Human Computer Interaction
- Bai, Yu (Dept. of Information Communication Engineering, Tongmyong University) ;
- Park, Sang-Yun (Dept. of Information Communication Engineering, Tongmyong University) ;
- Kim, Yun-Sik (Dept. of Information Communication Engineering, Tongmyong University) ;
- Jeong, In-Gab (Dept. of Car & Fire Station, Kyungpook Provincial College) ;
- Ok, Soo-Yol (Dept. of Game Engineering, Tongmyong University) ;
- Lee, Eung-Joo (Dept. of Information Communication Engineering, Tongmyong University)
- Received : 2010.10.06
- Accepted : 2010.12.06
- Published : 2011.02.28
The aim of this paper is to present the methodology for hand tracking and hand gesture recognition. The detected hand and gesture can be used to implement the non-contact mouse. We had developed a MP3 player using this technology controlling the computer instead of mouse. In this algorithm, we first do a pre-processing to every frame which including lighting compensation and background filtration to reducing the adverse impact on correctness of hand tracking and hand gesture recognition. Secondly, YCbCr skin-color likelihood algorithm is used to detecting the hand area. Then, we used Continuously Adaptive Mean Shift (CAMSHIFT) algorithm to tracking hand. As the formula-based region of interest is square, the hand is closer to rectangular. We have improved the formula of the search window to get a much suitable search window for hand. And then, Support Vector Machines (SVM) algorithm is used for hand gesture recognition. For training the system, we collected 1500 hand gesture pictures of 5 hand gestures. Finally we have performed extensive experiment on a Windows XP system to evaluate the efficiency of the proposed scheme. The hand tracking correct rate is 96% and the hand gestures average correct rate is 95%.
Supported by : SMBA
- Li wei and Eung-Joo Lee, "An IP-TV Remote Controller Based on Hand Posture Recognition Using Fourier Descriptor," Conference on Korea Multimedia Society 2009, Vol.12, No.2, pp.510-511, Nov. 2009.
- K. Sobottka and I. Pitas, "Segmentation and tracking of faces in color images," IEEE Conference on AFGG 1996, pp.236-241, 14-16 Oct.1996.
- K. Takaya, "Tracking a video object with the active contour (snake) predicted by the optical flow," IEEE Conference on CCECE 2008, pp. 369-372, 4-7 May 2008.
- A. Aksel and S.T. Acton, "Target tracking using the snake particle filter," IEEE Conference on SSIAI 2010, pp.33-36, 23-25 May. 2010.
- M.K. Agarwal, "Eigen space based method for detecting faulty nodes in large scale enterprise systems," IEEE Conference on NOMS 2008, pp.224-231, 7-11 April. 2008.
- V.I. Pavlovic, R. Sharma and T.S. Huang, "Visual interpretation of hand gestures for human-computer interaction: a review," IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, Vol.19, No.7, pp.677-695, Jul. 1997. https://doi.org/10.1109/34.598226
- D. Chai and A. Bouzerdoum, "A Bayesian approach to skin color classification in YCbCr color space," IEEE Conference on TENCON 2000, pp.421-424, 24-27 Sep. 2000.
- N. Habili, Cheng-Chew Lim and A. Moini, "Automatic human skin segmentation based on color information in the YCbCr color space," IEEE Conference on Information, Decision and Control 2002, pp.377-382, 11-12 Feb. 2002.
- Yizong Chen, "Mean shift, mode seeking, and clustering," IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, Vol.17, No.8, pp.790-799, Aug. 1995. https://doi.org/10.1109/34.400568
- Xia Liu, Hongxia Chu and Pingjun Li, "Research of the Improved Camshift Tracking Algorithm," IEEE Conference on ICMA 2007, pp.968-972, 5-8 Aug. 2007.
- Qiang Liu, Canhui Cai, K.N. Ngan and Hongliang Li, "Camshift based real-time multiple faces match tracking," IEEE Conference on ISPACS 2007, pp.726-729, Nov.28-Dec.1 2007.
- Cervantes. J, Xiaoou Li and Wen Yu, "SVM Classification for Large Data Sets by Considering Models of Classes Distribution," IEEE Conference on MICAI 2007, pp.51-60, 4-10 Nov. 2007.
- Dong Seong Kim, Ha-Nam Nguyen and Jong Sou Park, "Genetic algorithm to improve SVM based network intrusion detection system," IEEE Conference on AINA 2005, pp.155-158, 28-30 Mar. 2005.
- Daw-Tung Lin and Chia-Ching Huang, "Image back-light compensation with fuzzy C-means learing algorithm and fuzzy inferencing," IEEE Conference on ISSPA 2003, pp.433-436, 1-4 Jul. 2003.
- Shen Yuhao, Meng Chen and Fu Zhenhua, "A Synthesized SVM and its application in fault diagnosis for circuit board based on virtual instrument," IEEE Conference on ICEMI 2009, pp.907-911, 16-19 Aug. 2009.
- Sang-Yun Park and Eung-Joo Lee, "Hand Gesture Recognition Algorithm Robust to Complex Image," Journal of Korea Multimedia Society 2010, Vol.13, No.2, pp.1000-1015, July. 2010.
- Bai yu and Eung-Joo Lee, "The hand mouse: Hand detection and hand tracking," Inter-national Conference on Multimedia, Information Technology and its Application 2009 (MITA 2009), pp.244-245, 19-21 Aug. 2009.
- M. Niranjan, "Support vector machine: a tutorial overview and critical appraisal," IEEE Colloquium on ASPR 1999, pp.2/1, 1999.
- Chh-Wei Hsu and Chih-Jen Lin, "A comparison of methods for multiclass support vector machines," IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks 2002, Vol.13, No.2, pp.415-425, Mar. 2002.
- Bai yu and Eung-Joo Lee, "Hand Posture Recognition Based on SVM Using on Mobile Phone," Conference on Korea Multimedia Society 2009, Vol.12, No.2, pp.188-189, Nov. 2009.
- Hand Gesture Recognition using Improved Hidden Markov Models vol.14, pp.7, 2011, https://doi.org/10.9717/kmms.2011.14.7.866
- Remote Drawing Technology Based on Motion Trajectories Analysis vol.9, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.17661/jkiiect.2016.9.2.229
- Face and Hand Activity Detection Based on Haar Wavelet and Background Updating Algorithm vol.14, pp.8, 2011, https://doi.org/10.9717/kmms.2011.14.8.992
- Face Tracking System Using Updated Skin Color vol.18, pp.5, 2015, https://doi.org/10.9717/kmms.2015.18.5.610