- Volume 44 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Surgical Resection of Pulmonary Metastasis from Renal Cell Carcinoma
- Kim, Jae-Jun (Department of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, College of Medicine, The Catholic University of Korea) ;
- Park, Jae-Kil (Department of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, College of Medicine, The Catholic University of Korea) ;
- Wang, Young-Pil (Department of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, College of Medicine, The Catholic University of Korea)
- Received : 2010.08.18
- Accepted : 2011.02.08
- Published : 2011.04.05
Background: Renal cell carcinoma has shown less response to systemic therapies including chemotherapy, radiation, and immunotherapy than other cancers. Surgery has therefore become an important treatment tool. The protocol for treatment is the same for pulmonary metastasis of renal cell carcinoma. We performed surgery for pulmonary metastatic renal cell carcinomas and analyzed the results. Materials and Methods: We retrospectively analyzed 15 patients who had undergone pulmonary metastasectomy from renal cell carcinoma at our hospital from January 2005 to December 2009. Results: No patients had extrathoracic metastatsis. The mean age was 60.2 years (range 35~73). There were 12 male and 3 female patients. The number of synchronous and metachronous patients were 8 and 7, respectively. The mean survival times of synchronous and metachronous patients were 32.6 and 42.9 months, respectively. 6 patients had single lesions and 9 patients had multiple (more than 3) lesions. The surgical procedures included wedge resection (10), lobectomy (2), wedge resection with segmentectomy (2), and segmentectomy (1). Median observation and survival time were 54.1 and 34.9 months. The 1-year and 3-year survival rates were 80% and 50%, respectively. Conclusion: Pulmonary resection for pulmonary metastatic renal cell carcinoma was found to be a safe and effective treatment modality when complete resection was performed.
- Tanguray S, Swanson DA, Putnam JB. Renal cell carcinoma metastatic to the lung: potential benefit in the combination of biological therapy and surgery. J Urol 1996;156:1586-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-5347(01)65454-5
- Ugo P, Marc B, Godehard F, et al. Long-term results of lung metastasectomy: prognostic analyses based on 5206 cases. The International Registry of Lung Metastases. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 1997;113:37-49. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-5223(97)70397-0
- Hofmann HS, Neef H, Krohe K, Andreev P, Silber RE. Prognostic factors and survival after pulmonary resection of metastatic renal cell carcinoma. Eur Urol 2005;48:77-81. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eururo.2005.03.004
- Chen F, Fujinaga T, Shoji T, et al. Pulmonary resection for metastasis from renal cell carcinoma. Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg 2008;7:825-8. https://doi.org/10.1510/icvts.2008.181065
- Pfannschmidt J, Hoffmann H, Muley T, Krysa S, Trainer C, Dienemann H. Prognostic factors for survival after pulmonary resection of metastatic renal cell carcinoma. Ann Thorac Surg 2002;74:1653-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0003-4975(02)03803-1
- Swanson DA. Surgery for metastases of renal cell carcinoma. Scand J Surg 2004;93:150-5. https://doi.org/10.1177/145749690409300211
- Oddsson SJ, Isaksson HJ, Jonsson E, Einarsson GV, Gudbjartsson T. Pulmonary resections for metastatic renal cell carcinoma in Iceland. Laeknabladid 2008;94:377-81.
- Chon SW, Jeon SH, Chang SG. The role of metastasectomy and immunochemotherapy in multimodal therapy for metastatic renal cell carcinoma. Korean J Urol 2008;49:1-6. https://doi.org/10.4111/kju.2008.49.1.1
- Motzer RJ, Russo P. Systemic therapy for renal cell carcinoma. J Urol 2000;163:408-17. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-5347(05)67889-5
- Ferretti S, Fornia S, Ampollini L, et al. Lung metastasectomy in patients with renal cell cancer (RCC). A 17-year experience in Parma Hospital. Acta Biomed 2007;78:41-5.
- Steinbach F, Langbein S, Allhoff EP. Surgery of metastases in renal cell carcinoma. Urologe A 2000;39:362-6. https://doi.org/10.1007/s001200050371
- Piltz S, Meimarakis G, Wichmann MW, Hatz R, Schildberg FW, Fuerst H. Long-term results after pulmonary resection of renal cell carcinoma metastases. Ann Thorac Surg 2002;73:1082-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0003-4975(01)03602-5
- Shiono S, Yoshida J, Nishimura M, et al. Late pulmonary metastasis of renal cell carcinoma resected 25 years after nephrectomy. Jpn J Clin Oncol 2004;34:46-9. https://doi.org/10.1093/jjco/hyh010
- Erhunmwunsee L, D'Amico TA. Surgical management of pulmonary metastases. Ann Thorac Surg 2009;88:2052-60. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.athoracsur.2009.08.033
- Murthy SC, Kim K, Rice TW, et al. Can we predict longterm survival after pulmonary metastasectomy for renal cell carcinoma? Ann Thorac Surg 2005;79:996-1003. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.athoracsur.2004.08.034
- Petrella F, Chieco P, Solli P, et al. Which factors affect pulmonary function after lung metastasectomy? Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 2009;35:792-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejcts.2009.01.011
- Friedel G, Pastorino U, Buyse M, et al. Resection of lung metastases: long-term results and prognostic analysis based on 5206 cases--the International Registry of Lung Metastases. Zentralbl Chir 1999;124:96-103.
- Sternberg DI, Sonett JR. Surgical therapy of lung metastases. Semin Oncol 2007;34:186-96. https://doi.org/10.1053/j.seminoncol.2007.03.004