- Volume 22 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Development of High Performance MEA by Decal Method for PEM Fuel Cell
데칼 공정을 적용한 고성능 MEA 개발
- Lee, Ki-Sub (Hyundai Motor Company) ;
- Lee, Jae-Seung (Hyundai Motor Company) ;
- Kwon, Nak-Hyun (Hyundai Motor Company) ;
- Hwang, In-Chul (Hyundai Motor Company)
- Received : 2011.07.29
- Accepted : 2011.10.21
- Published : 2011.10.30
This study has focused on the development of high performance membrane-electrode assemblies (MEAs) fabricated by decal method for proton exchange membrane fuel cell (PEMFC). To study the effect of ionomer contents on performance, we fabricated MEAs with several electrodes which were prepared by varying the quantity of ionomer from 20 wt.% to 45 wt.% in catalyst layer. The MEA performance was obtained through single cell test. The MEA prepared from electrode with 25wt.% of ionomer showed the best performance. We evaluated the surface area and pore volume of electrode with BET. We found that the surface area and pore volume in electrode decreased rapidly at the electrode with 40wt.% of ionomer in catalyst layer. MEA was fabricated by roll laminator machine and the roll laminating conditions for the preparation of MEA, such as laminating press, temperature and speed, were optimized. The MEA performance is not affected by laminating temperature and speed, but roll laminating press have a great effect on MEA performance.
Supported by : 지식경제부
- W. Vielstich, A. Lamm, Hubert, "Handbook of Fuel Cells", John willey & Son, Vol. 1, 2003.
- C. H Steele, A. Heinzel, "Materials for fuel cell technologies", Nature, 414, 345-352. 2001. https://doi.org/10.1038/35104620
- 안경용, 양철남, 이 수, "고분자 전해질 막 연료전지의 촉매층 내의 나피온 아이오노머양에 따른 단위 셀의 전기화학적 특성 연구", 한국 수소 및 신에너지 학회 논문집, Vol. 21, No. 6, 2010, pp. 540-546.
- Haolin Tang, Shenlong Wang, Mu Pan, San Ping Jiang, Yunzhang Ruan "Performance of DMFCs prepared by hot-pressed MEA and catalyst-coated membrane", Original Research Article Fuel Cells Bulletin, Volume 2007, Issue 5, May 2007, pp 12-16. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1464-2859(07)70183-9
- Haolin Tang, Shenlong Wang, San Ping Jiang, Mu Pan, "A comparative study of CCM and hot-pressed MEAs for PEM fuel cells", Journal of Power Sources, Volume 170, Issue 1, 30 June 2007, pp. 140-144. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpowsour.2007.03.062
- J. Xie, K. L. More, T. A. Sawodzinski, W. H. Smith, "Porosimetry of MEAs Made by Thin Film Decal Method and Its Effect on Performance of PEFCs", J. Electrochem. Soc., Vol. 151, 2004, pp. 1841-1846. https://doi.org/10.1149/1.1796991
- Sarawalee Thanasilp, Mali Hunsom, "Effect of MEA fabrication techniques on the cell performance of Pt-Pd/C electrocatalyst for oxygen reduction in PEM fuel cell", Original Research Article Fuel, Vol. 89, 2010, pp. 3847-3852.
- D.J. You, Y.H. Lee, H.J. Cho, J.H. Kim, C.H. Pak, G.H. Lee, K.Y. Park, J.Y. Park, "High performance membrane electrode assemblies by optimization of coating process and catalyst layer structure in direct methanol fuel cells", Original Research Article International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, Volume 36, Issue 8, April 2011, pp. 5096-5103. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijhydene.2011.01.068
- H.Y. Jung, K.Y. Cho and J.K. Park, "Influenceof annealing of membrane electrode assembly (MEA) on performance of direct methanol fuel cell (DMFC)", J. of Power Sources, Vol. 163, 2007, pp. 952-956. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpowsour.2006.09.047