- Volume 36 Issue 1
Uranium Enrichment Analysis with Gamma-ray Spectroscopy
FRAM을 이용한 우라늄 농축도 분석의 신뢰성 평가 연구
- Eom, Sung-Ho (Korea Atomic Energy Research Institute) ;
- Jeong, Hye-Kyun (Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology) ;
- Park, Jun-Sic (Korea Atomic Energy Research Institute) ;
- Park, Se-Hwan (Korea Atomic Energy Research Institute) ;
- Shin, Hee-Sung (Korea Atomic Energy Research Institute)
- Received : 2011.02.01
- Accepted : 2011.03.24
- Published : 2011.03.30
Accurate measurement of uranium enrichment is very important in nuclear material accountability. The analysis uncertainty of the uranium enrichment measurement with gamma-ray analysis was studied in the present work. FRAM (Fixed energy Response function Analysis with Multiple efficiencies) code was used to determine the uranium enrichment. If the shield materials were placed between the detector and the sample, the error was measured and analyzed. Measurement time was varied and the dependency of the analysis uncertainty on the measurement time was studied. Transmitted gamma-ray intensities and FWHMs of the peaks in the energy spectrum were measured as the shield thickness was varied. The transmitted gamma-ray intensity follows shape of the exponential function, and the FWHM was almost independent of the shield thickness. The uncertainty of FRAM analysis was studied when the thick shield material was placed between the detector and the sample. Our work could be helpful in analysis of the fissile material in uranium sample.
Grant : 원자력중장기 연구 개발 사업
Supported by : 한국에너지 기술평가원(KETEP)
- Sprinkler JK. Low-resolution gamma-ray measurements of uranium enrichment. Appl. Radiat. Isot. 1997;48:1525-1528. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0969-8043(97)00151-6
- Sampson TE. Gamma-ray isotopic analysis development at Los Alamos. LA-13667-MS. 1999.
- Gunnink R. MGA: A gamma-ray spectrum analysis code for determining plutonium isotopic abundances, Vol. 1: methods and algorithms. UCRL-LR-103220. 1990.
- Miller MC, Menlove HO, Russo PA. A high-efficiency neutron coincidence counter for small samples. LA-UR-91-3081. 1991.
- Sampson TE. Plutonium Isotopic Analysis using PC/FRAM. Passive Nondestructive Assay Addendum. 2007.