- Volume 36 Issue 1
Manufacture of Immobilization Device (Vac-lok) and the Usefulness of Evaluation for Reproducibility of Patients in the Radiotherapy
환자의 재현성을 위한 고정장치(Vac-lok) 제작과 방사선치료에서 유용성 평가
- Lee, Jae-Seung (Department of Radiation Oncology, Good Samaritan Hospital) ;
- Kim, Gyoung-Hee (Department of Radiologic Technology, Sunlin University) ;
- Jeong, Kyu-Hwan (Department of Radiologic Technology, Sunlin University) ;
- Kweon, Dae-Cheol (Department of Radiologic Science, Shin Heung College University) ;
- Goo, Eun-Hoe (Department of Radiology, Seoul National University Hospital) ;
- Park, Cheol-Woo (Department of Radiological Technology, Dong Eui Institute of Technology) ;
- Im, In-Chul (Department of Radiological science, Dong Eui University) ;
- Dong, Kyung-Rae (Department of Radiological Technology, Gwangju Health College University) ;
- Chung, Woon-Kwan (Department of Nuclear Engineering, Chosun University)
- 이재승 (선린의료원 방사선종양학과) ;
- 김경희 (선린대학 방사선과) ;
- 정규환 (선린대학 방사선과) ;
- 권대철 (신흥대학 방사선과) ;
- 구은회 (서울대학교병원 영상의학과) ;
- 박철우 (동의과학대학 방사선과) ;
- 임인철 (동의대학교 방사선학과) ;
- 동경래 (광주보건대학 방사선과) ;
- 정운관 (조선대학교 원자력공학과)
- Received : 2011.01.26
- Accepted : 2011.03.22
- Published : 2011.03.30
We manufactured the Vac-lok that can be applied to patient of special body shape and need to special set-up position and evaluated the usefulness in the radiation therapy. The manufacture Vac-lok, It was used EVA resin and biobeadform of a diameter 1.5 mm. carried out the test of functionality, structural and analyzed the relative reproducibility of phantoms and patients. During the total period of radiation therapy, Vacuum pressure bring variety to a very small amount in the test of functionality of the manufacture Vac-lok. But It was a negligible quantity. The manufacture Vac-lok improved the relative reproducibility of phantoms than the existing Vac-lok and tolerance has a confidence less than 4% error. Also, relative reproducibility of patient increased error than phantom in the antero-posterior and lateral plan. However, the maximum set-up error was less than
- Huh SJ, Park CI. Advances in radiation oncology in new millennium in Korea, J Korean Soc Ther Radiol Oncol. 2000;18(3):167-176.
- Hanks GE, Schultheiss TE, Hunt MA, Epstein B. Factors influencing incidence of acute grade 2 morbidity in conforaml and standard radiation treatment of prostate cancer. Int J Radat Oncol Biol Phys. 1995;31(1):25-29. https://doi.org/10.1016/0360-3016(94)00366-S
- Suh YL, Yi BY, Shin SA, Kim JH, Ahn SD, Lee SW, Choi EK. A feasibility study on the abdomen immobilization with air injected balloon blanket. Korean J Med Phys, 2002;13(3):176-180.
- Pollack A, Zegars GK, Starkschall G, Childress CH, Kopplin S, Boyer AL, Rosen II. Conventional vs conformal radiotherapy for prostate cancer: preliminary results of dosimetry and acute toxicity. Int J Radat Oncol Biol Phys, 1996; 34(3):555-564. https://doi.org/10.1016/0360-3016(95)02103-5
- Fukunaga-Johnson N, Sandler HM, McLaughlin PW, Strawderman MS, Grijalva KH, Kish KE, Lichter AS. Results of 3D conformal radiotherapy in the treatment of localized prostate cancer., Int J Radit Oncol Biol Phys, 1997;38(2):311-317. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0360-3016(97)82499-6
- ICRU. Prescribing, recording, and reporting photon beam therapy (supplement to ICRU Report 50). ICRU Report 62. Bethesda, Maryland. International Commission of Radiation Units and Measurements, 1999.
- Kahn FM, The physics of radiation therapy. 3rd ed. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; Philadelphia, 2003:222-225.
- Huh SN, Cho W, Park YK, Ha SW. Development of devices for improving the reproducibility of patient positioning on a breast board. J Korean Soc Ther Radiol Oncol. 2005;23(2):123-130.
- CIVCO. Radiation Oncology 2010 Source book. 2010:61-73.
- Plastic science. A Manual on Plastics and Physical. Korea Plastic Molding Information Center; Korea, 2006:372-373.
- Dickie CI, Parent A, Griffin A, Craiq T, Catton C, Chung P, Panzarella T, O'Sullivan B, Sharpe M. A device and procedure for immobilization of patients receiving limb-preserving radiotherapy for soft tissue sarcoma. Med Dosim. 2009;34(3): 243-249. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meddos.2008.10.003
- Bijhold J, Herk MY, Vijilbrief R, Lebesque JY. Fast evaluation of patient set-up during radiotherapy by aligning features in portal and simulator images. Phy Med Bilo. 1991;36(12):1665.
- Negoro Y, Nagata Y, Aoki T, Mizowaki T, Araki N, Takayama K, Kukubo M, Yano S, Koqa S, Sasai K, Shibamoto Y, Hiraoka M. The effectiveness of an immobilization device in conformal radiotherapy for lung tumor: reduction of respiratory tumor movement and evaluation of the daily setup accuracy. Int J Radiat Oncol Bio Phys, 2001;50( 4) :889-898. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0360-3016(01)01516-4
- Song PY, Washington M, Vaida F, Hamilton R, Spelbring D, Wyman B, Harrison J, Chen GTY, Vijayakurnar S. A comparison of four patient immobilization device in the treatment of prostate cancer patients with three dimensional conformal radiotherapy. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys, 1996;34(1) :213- 219. https://doi.org/10.1016/0360-3016(95)02094-2
- Gildersleve J, Dearnaley DP, Evans PM, Swindell W. Reproducibility of patient positioning during routine radiotherapy, as assessed by an integrated megavoltage imaging system. Radiother Oncol. 1995;35(2):151-160. https://doi.org/10.1016/0167-8140(95)01536-P
- Catton C, Lebar L, Warde P, Hao Y, Catton P, Gospodarowicz M, McLean M, Milosevic M. Improvement in total positioning error for lateral prostatic fields using a soft immobilization device. Radiother Oncol. 1997;44(3):265-270. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0167-8140(97)00061-3
- Rosental SA, Roach M, Goldsmith BJ, Doqqett EC, Pickett B, Yuo HS, Soffen EM, Stern RL, Ryu JK. Immobilization improves the reproducibility of patient positioning during six-field conformal radiation therapy for prostate carcinoma. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 1993;27(4):921-926. https://doi.org/10.1016/0360-3016(93)90469-C