- Volume 11 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
A DSP-Based Dual Loop Digital Controller Design and Implementation of a High Power Boost Converter for Hybrid Electric Vehicles Applications
- Ellabban, Omar ;
- Mierlo, Joeri Van ;
- Lataire, Philippe
- Received : 2010.04.12
- Accepted : 2011.01.18
- Published : 2011.03.20
This paper presents a DSP based direct digital control design and implementation for a high power boost converter. A single loop and dual loop voltage control are digitally implemented and compared. The real time workshop (RTW) is used for automatic real-time code generation. Experimental results of a 20 kW boost converter based on the TMS320F2808 DSP during reference voltage changes, input voltage changes, and load disturbances are presented. The results show that the dual loop control achieves better steady state and transient performance than the single loop control. In addition, the experimental results validate the effectiveness of using the RTW for automatic code generation to speed up the system implementation.
Boost converter;digital signal processor (DSP);direct digital control;real time workshop (RTW)
- J. M. Miller, "Power electronics in hybrid electric vehicle applications," in Proc. APEC, Vol. 1, pp.23-29, 2003.
- J.-S. Lai and D. J. Nelson, "Energy management power converters in hybrid electric and fuel cell vehicles," Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 95, No.4, pp. 766-777, Apr. 2007.
- X. Yu, M. R. Starke, L. M. Tolbert, and B. Ozpineci, "Fuel cell power conditioning for electric power applications: a summary," IET Electric Power Applications, Vol.1, No.5, pp. 643-656, Sep. 2007. https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-epa:20060386
- O. Krykunov, "Comparison of the DC/DC-Converters for Fuel Cell Applications," World Academy of Science, Engineering and Technology , Vol. 27, No.1, pp. 425-433, Mar. 2007.
- A. Kirubakaran , Shailendra Jain, and R. K. Nema, "A review on fuel cell technologies and power electronic interface," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Vol. 13, No. 9, pp. 2430-2440, Dec. 2009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rser.2009.04.004
- M. Kabalo, B. Blunier, and D. Bouquain, "State-of-the-art of DC-DC converters for Fuel Cell Vehicles," The IEEE Vehicle Power and Propulsion Conference, pp.1-6, 2010.
- S. Buso and P. Mattavelli, Digital Control in Power Electronics, Morgan and Claypool Publishers, 2006.
- R. Duma, P. Dobra, M. Abrudean, and M. Dobra, "Rapid prototyping of control systems using embedded target for TI C2000 DSP," in Proc. MED '07, pp. 1-5, 2007.
- W.-S. Gan, Y.-K. Chong, W. Gong, and W.-T. Tan, "Rapid prototyping system for teaching real-time digital signal processing," IEEE trans. on education, Vol. 43, No. 1, pp. 19-21, Feb. 2000. https://doi.org/10.1109/13.825735
- Y.-F. Liu, E. Meyer, and X. Liu, "Recent developments in digital control strategies for DC/DC switching power converters," IEEE Trans. on Power Electron., Vol. 24, No. 11, pp. 2567-2577, Nov. 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2009.2030809
- V. Mummadi, "Design of robust digital PID controller for h-bridge soft-switching boost converter," IEEE Trans. Ind. Eletron., Issue 99, Sep. 2010.
- F. A. Huliehel, F. C. Lee, and B. H. Cho, "Small-signal modeling of the single-phase boost high power factor converter with constant frequency control," in Proc. PESC, pp. 475-482, 1992.
- B. Bryant, M. K. Kazimierczuk, "Small-signal duty cycle to inductor current transfer function for boost PWM DC-DC converter in continuous conduction mode:' in Proc. ISCAS, Vol. 5, pp. 856-859, 2004.
- L. Guo, J. Y. Hung, and R. M. Nelms, "Evaluation of DSP-based PID and fuzzy controllers for DC-DC converters," IEEE trans. Ind. Electron., Vol. 56, No. 6, pp. 2237-2248, Jun. 2009. https://doi.org/10.1109/TIE.2009.2016955
- A. Kirubakaran, Shailendra Jain, and R.K. Nema, "The PEM fuel cell system with DC/DC boost converter: Design, modeling and simulation," International Journal of Recent Trends in Engineering, Vol. 1, No. 3, pp. 157-161, May 2009.
- Controller Design of a Novel Power Conditioning System with an Energy Storage Device for Renewable Energy Sources under Grid-Connected Operation vol.13, pp.3, 2013, https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2013.13.3.390
- 30kW DC-DC Converters with Regenerative Mode for Electric Cars vol.12, pp.2, 2012, https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2012.12.2.233
- A DSP-Based Dual-Loop Peak DC-link Voltage Control Strategy of the Z-Source Inverter vol.27, pp.9, 2012, https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2012.2189588
- Switching-Mode BJT Driver for Self-Oscillated Push-Pull Inverters vol.12, pp.2, 2012, https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2012.12.2.242
- A Novel Soft-Switching Battery Charge/Discharge Converter with Zero Voltage Discharge Function 2015, https://doi.org/10.1109/TPEL.2015.2482758
- A Family of Magnetic Coupling DC-DC Converters With Zero-Voltage-Switching Over Wide Input Voltage Range and Load Variation vol.16, pp.5, 2016, https://doi.org/10.6113/JPE.2016.16.5.1639
- DSP-Based Modified SPWM Switching Technique with Two-Degrees-of-Freedom Voltage Control for Three-Phase AC–DC Buck Converter vol.39, pp.11, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1007/s13369-014-1370-6
- MPPT controller for an interleaved boost dc–dc converter used in fuel cell electric vehicles vol.39, pp.27, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijhydene.2014.03.185
- Fault diagnosis algorithm based on switching function for boost converters vol.102, pp.7, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1080/00207217.2014.966780