- Volume 5 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Assessments of nutrient intake and metabolic profiles in Korean adolescents according to exercise regularity using data from the 2008 Korean National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey
- Cho, Kang-Ok (Health and Exercise Science Laboratory, Institute of Sports Science, Seoul National University) ;
- Nam, Sang-Nam (Department of Sports in Life, Hanyang University) ;
- Kim, Yeon-Soo (Health and Exercise Science Laboratory, Institute of Sports Science, Seoul National University)
- Received : 2010.07.20
- Accepted : 2011.01.05
- Published : 2011.02.28
The purpose of this study was to assess the metabolic profile and nutrient intake data in Korean adolescents according to exercise regularity using the forth Korean National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey from 2008 data. A total of 834 Korean adolescents (440 boys, 394 girls) aged 12 to 18 years were classified into exercising male (EM), non-exercising male (NM), exercising female (EF), and non-exercising female (NF) groups. EM exhibited significantly higher weight (P<0.001), waist circumference (WC) (P<0.01) and body mass index (EMI) (P<0.001) than NM. EF showed significantly greater height (P<0.01), weight (P<0.001), we (P<0.001), and BMI (P<0.001) than NF. Although ratios of macronutrient intake were within the appropriate range in all groups, energy, riboflavin, vitamin e and calcium were assessed as in adequate by the nutritional adequacy ratio (NAR) in all groups. Moreover, EF and NF had inadequate intake of vitamin A and iron according to NAR, respectively. There were significant correlations between height and NAR protein (r=0.249, P<0.001), and mean adequacy ratio (MAR) (r=0.177, P<0.01), and between weight and NAR protein (r=0.180, P<0.01), and MAR(r=0.136, P<0.05) in EM. On the other hand, there were significant correlations between weight and NAR protein (r=0.270, P<0.01), we and NAR protein (r=0.271, P<0.01), and BMI and NAR protein (r=0.326, P<0.01) in NM. There were significant correlations height and NAR Fe (r=0.153, P<0.05) in EF. However, there were no significant correlations between metabolic factors and nutritional adequacy in NF. Although we noted no significant differences in MAR between the groups, the exercising groups showed higher MAR values than the non-exercising groups. Therefore, practicing of ideal dietary behaviors appears to be induced through physical activity and regular exercise in Korean adolescents.
- Cho KO. A comparative study assessing metabolic profile and diet quality in college women according to their mother's diabetes mellitus. J Korean Diet Assoc 2009;15:1-9.
- Kim JW, Kong SA, Lee O, Kim CZ, Kim YS. Patterns and interrelationships for meeting recommendations of physical activity, and sedentary and dietary behavior in elementary school students. Korean J Community Living Sci 2009;20:81-9.
- Park YS, Kwon MK. A study on the nutritional status and eating behaviors of underweight adolescent females, aged 15 to 19 years, using data from 2001 NHANS of Korea. J Korean Home Econ Assoc 2007;45:1-11.
- Korean society of the study of obesity. Clinical obesity (2nd). Seoul: Korea medicine Publishing; 2001. p.11-59.
- Moon SS, Lee YS. Comparison of dietary habits, exercise, recognized body shapes and weight control between obesity and underweight of adolescents. Korean J Hum Ecol 2009;18: 1337-48. https://doi.org/10.5934/KJHE.2009.18.6.1337
- American College of Sports Medicine. ACSM's guidelines for exercise testing and prescription (7th). Baltimore: Lippincott William & Wilkins; 2006. p.216.
- Warburton DE, Nicol CW, Bredin SS. Health benefits of physical activity: the evidence. CMAJ 2006;174:801-9.
- Korner A, Kratzsch J, Gausche R, Blüher S, Kapellen T, Pulzer F, Behrens M, Kiess W. Metabolic syndrome in children and adolescents--risk for sleep-disordered breathing and obstructive sleep-apnoea syndrome? Arch Physiol Biochem 2008;114:237-43. https://doi.org/10.1080/13813450802306685
- Planinsec J, Matejeck C. Differences in physical activity between non-overweight, overweight and obese children. Coll Antropol 2004;28:747-54.
- Kim YS, Kong SA, Lee O, Kim JW, Kim CZ, Park IH. The relation between physical activity and fitness in children. Exerc Sci 2008;17:495-504.
- National Association for Sport and Physical Education. Physical education for life-long fitness. Baltimore: Human Kinetics; 2005. p.30-45.
- Cho KO, Lee HJ. The effects of regular exercise on obesity indices and dietary factors in adult males. Korean J Community Nutr 2007;12:160-7.
- Kim KH. Comparisons of dietary, living habits and blood parameters in underweight and overweight university students. Korean J Food Cult 2006;21:366-74.
- Lee KY, Kim SY, Jun TW. The effect of combined training at different times of day on body composition, plasma lipids, stress hormones and nutrient intakes. Korean J Community Nutr 2006;11:143-51.
- Cho KO, Kim YS. Evaluations of physical development and diet quality in Korean adolescents according to exercise regularity; using the forth Korean national health and nutrition examination survey, 2007. Korean J Growth Dev 2010;18:137-44.
- Fujii K, Tanaka N, Ishigaki T, Hanaik T, Kim SH, Nho HS. Confirmation regarding physical fitness based on polynomial regression evaluation of body fat percentage for BMI in adolescence. Korean J Growth Dev 2008;16:43-7.
- Driskell MM, Dyment S, Mauriello L, Castle P, Sherman K. Relationships among multiple behaviors for childhood and adolescent obesity prevention. Prev Med 2008;46:209-15. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ypmed.2007.07.028
- Korean Nutrition Society. Dietary reference intakes for Koreans. Seoul: The Korean nutrition society; 2006. p.23-8.
- Gibson RS. Evaluation of nutrient intake data. In: Principles of nutritional assessment 1990. p.137-54.
- Guthrie HA, Scheer JC. Validity of a dietary score for assessing nutrient adequacy. J Am Diet Assoc 1981;78:240-5.
- Eaton DK, Kann L, Kinchen S, Ross J, Hawkins J, Harris WA, Lowry R, McManus T, Chyen D, Shanklin S, Lim C, Grunbaum JA, Wechsler H. Youth risk behavior surveillance-United State, 2005. MMWR Surveill Summ 2006;55:1-108.
- Kim YH, Cho JH. The relationship between physical activity pattern, dietary habit, body mass index and health-related physical fitness for elementary school children. KSME 2002;4:63-81.
- Sanchez A, Norman GJ, Sallis JF, Calfas KJ, Cella J, Patrick K. Patterns and correlates of physical activity and nutrition behaviors in adolescents. Am J Prev Med 2007;32:124-30. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amepre.2006.10.012
- Ministry of education, science and technology & Korean educational development institution. 2009 Statistical yearbook of education. Seoul: The Korean educational development institution; 2009. p.100-7.
- Son SM, Park ES. A study on body weight control and dietary habits according to the obese index in male middle school students. Korean J Community Nutr 2006;11:683-94.
- Brage S, Wedderkopp N, Ekelund U, Franks PW, Wareham NJ, Andersen LB, Froberg K, European Youth Heart Study (EYHS). Features of the metabolic syndrome are associated with objectively measured physical activity and fitness in Danish children: the European Youth Heart Study (EYHS). Diabetes Care 2004;27: 2141-8. https://doi.org/10.2337/diacare.27.9.2141
- Rizzo NS, Ruiz JR, Hurtig-Wennlof A, Ortega FB, Sjostrom M. Relationship of physical activity, fitness, and fatness with clustered metabolic risk in children and adolescents: the European youth heart study. J Pediatr 2007;150:388-94. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpeds.2006.12.039
- Ainsworth BE, Haskell WL, Whitt MC, Irwin ML, Swartz AM, Strath SJ, O'Brien WL, Bassett DR Jr, Schmitz KH, Emplaincourt PO, Jacobs DR Jr, Leon AS. Compendium of physical activities: an update of activity codes and MET intensities. Med Sci Sports Exerc 2000;32:S498-504. https://doi.org/10.1097/00005768-200009001-00009
- Jeong DS. Characteristics of growth and development oh physique and health-related physical fitness of elementary school students. Korean J Sports Sci 2004;13:789-800.
- Lim BK, Kim HG. Assessment of health grade by physique and physical development index and healthy-life habits in elementary school students. Korean J Growth Dev 2004;12:17- 28.
- Park TS. For the degree of contributions of socio-environmental factors and physical growth affecting physical development. Korean J Growth Dev 1993;1:78-90.
- Lee JE, Lee IH. Classification of eating disorder patterns of female middle school students and their association with self-body image, weight control behavior, and eating behavior. Korean J Community Living Sci 2006;17:89-103.