- Volume 27 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Characteristics of Bentonite Filter Cake on Vertical Cutoff Walls Evaluated by Modified Fluid Loss Test
수정 fluid loss 시험을 이용한 연직 차수벽에 생성된 벤토나이트 필터케익 특성 평가
- Nguyen, The-Bao (School of Civil, Environmental, and Architectural Engrg., Korea Univ.) ;
- Park, Moon-Seo (School of Civil, Environmental, and Architectural Engrg., Korea Univ.) ;
- Lim, Jee-Hee (School of Civil, Environmental, and Architectural Engrg., Korea Univ.) ;
- Choi, Hang-Seok (School of Civil, Environmental, and Architectural Engrg., Korea Univ.) ;
- Han, Shin-In (R&D Center, Seoyeong Engrg. Co., Ltd.)
- 웽테바오 (고려대학교 건축.사회환경공학부) ;
- 박문석 (고려대학교 건축.사회환경공학부) ;
- 임지희 (고려대학교 건축.사회환경공학부) ;
- 최항석 (고려대학교 건축.사회환경공학부) ;
- 한신인 ((주)서영엔지니어링 연구소)
- Received : 2010.10.01
- Accepted : 2011.01.06
- Published : 2011.02.28
During the construction of vertical cutoff walls, filtration of bentonite slurry into the adjacent soil formation fabricates a layer of bentonite filter cake on the wall surface. The bentonite filter cake possesses much lower hydraulic conductivity compared to that of backfill materials in the cutoff wall. Hydraulic conductivity of bentonite filter cakes formed with three different types of bentonites has been measured by performing the modified fluid loss test under various pressure levels. Three different mixture ratios, 4, 6, and 8%, were selected for fabricating bentonite filter cakes to represent common field conditions. Two analysis methods for interpreting the experimental data from the modified fluid loss tests were employed to estimate hydraulic conductivity of the bentonite cakes. The range of hydraulic conductivities of the three bentonite cakes is between
Supported by : 학술진흥재단, 한국건설교통기술평가원
- Akther, S., Hwang, J. Y., and Lee, H. (2008), Sedimentation characteristics of two commercial bentonites in aqueous suspensions. Clay Minerals. 43, 449. https://doi.org/10.1180/claymin.2008.043.3.09
- API (1990), Standard procedure for field testing drilling fluids. API Specification 13B, American Petroleum Institute.
- ASTM D5890, 2006. Standard test method for swell index of clay mineral component of geosynthetic clay liners. American Society for Testing and Materials.
- ASTM D5891 (2002), Standard test method for fluid loss of clay component of geosynthetic clay liners. American Society for Testing and Materials.
- Barvenik, M. J., Ayres, J. E. (1987), Construction quality control and post-construction performance verification for the Gilson Road hazardous wastesite cutoffwall. EPA/600/287/065, USEPA, Washington.
- Britton, J. P. (2001), Soil-bentonite cutoff walls: hydraulic conductivity and contaminant transport. Ph.D. thesis, Virginia Polytechnic Institute & State Univ., Blacksburg,Va.
- Britton, J. P., Filz, G. M., Herring, W. E. (2004), Measuring the hydraulic conductivity of soil-bentonite backfill. Journal of Geotechnical Engineering, ASCE, 130(12), 1250-1258. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)1090-0241(2004)130:12(1250)
- Chung, J. (2004), Hydraulic conductivity of GCLS permeated with inorganic chemical solutions. Ph.D. thesis, Univ. of Illinois, Urbana- Champaign, Ill.
- Chung, J., Daniel, D. (2008), Modified fluid loss test as an improved measure of hydraulic conductivity for bentonite. Geotechnical Testing Journal, ASTM, 31(3), 1-9.
- D'Appolonia, D. J. (1980), Soil-bentonite slurry trench cutoffs. Journal of Geotechnical Engineering, ASCE, 106(4), 399-417.
- Darcy, H.P.G. (1856), The public fountains of the city of Dijon, Victor Dalmont, Paris, France.
- Filz, G. M., Boyer, R. D., Davidson, R. R. (1997), Bentonite-water slurry rheology and cutoff wall trench stability, in: Evans, J. C. (Ed.), Proc. of In Situ Remediation of the Geoenvironment. ASCE, GSP 71, pp.139-153.
- Filz, G.M., Henry, L.B., Heslin, G.M., Davidson, R.R. (2001), Determining hydraulic conductivity of soil-bentonite using the API filter press. Geotechnical Testing Journal, ASTM, 24(1), 61-71. https://doi.org/10.1520/GTJ11282J
- Grube, W. E. Jr. (1992), Slurry trench cutoff walls for environmental pollution control, in: Paul, D. B., Davidson, R. R., Cavalli, N. J. (Eds.), Slurry Walls: Design, Construction, and Quality Control. ASTM, STP 1129, ASTM International, West Conshohocken, PA, pp.69-77.
- Henry, L.B., Filz, G.M., Davidson, R.R. (1998), Formation and properties of bentonite filter cakes, in: Reddi, L. N., Bonala, M. V. S. (Eds.), Filtration & Drainage in Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental engineering. ASCE, GSP 78, pp.69-88.
- Heslin, G. M., Filz, G. M., Baxter, D. Y., Davidson, R. R. (1997), An improved method for interpreting hydraulic conductivity tests performed in the API filter press, in: Proc. of International Containment Technology. US DoE, DuPont Company, and USEPA, pp.71-77.
- Nash, K. L. (1974), Stability of trenches filled with fluids. Journal of the Construction Division, ASCE, 100(CO4), 533-542.
- Rushton, A., Ward, A.S., Holdich, R.G. (2000), Solid-Liquid Filtration and Separation Technology, 2nd Ed. Wiley-VCH Verlag GmbH, Weinheim.
- Ruth, B.F. (1935), Studies in filtration: III. Derivation of general filtration equations. Industrial and Engineering Chemistry 27, 708-723. https://doi.org/10.1021/ie50306a024
- Soroush, A., Soroush, M. (2005), Parameters affecting the thickness of bentonite cake in cutoff wall construction: case study and physical modeling. Canadian Geotechnical Journal 42(2), 646-654. https://doi.org/10.1139/t04-090
- Xanthakos, P. P. (1979), Slurry Walls. McGraw-Hill, NewYork.