- Volume 36 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Analysis of Power Requirement of Agricultural Tractor by Major Field Operation
농업용 트랙터의 주요 농작업 소요동력 분석
- Received : 2011.04.06
- Accepted : 2011.04.15
- Published : 2011.04.25
The purpose of this study was to analyze power requirement of an agricultural tractor by major field operations. First a survey was conducted to obtain annual usage ratio of agricultural tractor by field operation. Plowing, rotary tillage, and loader operations were selected as major field operations of agricultural tractor. Second, a power measurement system was constructed with strain-gauge sensors to measure torque of four driving axles and a PTO axle, speed sensors to measure rotational speed of the driving axles and an engine shaft, pressure sensors to measure pressure of hydraulic pumps, an I/O interface to acquire the sensor signals, and an embedded system to calculate power requirement. Third, the major field operations were experimented under fields with different soil conditions following planned operation paths. Power requirement was analyzed during the total operation period consisted of actual operation period (plowing, rotary tillage, and loader operations) and period before and after the actual operation (3-point hitch operating, forward and reverse driving, braking, and steering). Power requirement of tractor major components such as driving axle part, PTO part, main hydraulic part, and auxiliary hydraulic part were measured and calculated to determine usage ratio of agricultural tractor power. Results of averaged power requirement for actual field operation and total operation were 23.1 and 17.5 kW, 24.6 and 19.1 kW, and 14.9 and 8.9 kW, respectively, for plowing, rotary tillage, and loader operations. The results showed that rotary tillage required the greatest power among the operations. Averaged power requirement of driving axles, PTO axle, main hydraulic part, and auxiliary part during the actual field operation were 8.1, 7.8, 3.4, and 1.5 kW, respectively, and the total requirement power was about 70 % (20.8 kW) of the rated power. Averaged power requirement of driving axles, PTO axle, main hydraulic, and auxiliary hydraulic for the total operation period were 6.5, 6.0, 2.1, 0.9 kW, respectively, and total requirement power was about 52 % (15.5 kW) of the rated power. Driving axles required the greatest amount of power among the components.
Agricultural tractor;Power requirement;Plowing;Rotary tillage;Loader operation
- Cho, S. T., H. S. Jo, J. M. Lee and Y. I. Park. 1997. A development of driving control method for hybrid vehicle using power split ratio determination algorithm. Proceeding of the KSAE 1997 Fall Conference 4(2):707-713. (In Korean)
- EIA. 2008. Annual Energy Outlook. Energy Information Administrator, Washington, DC., USA.
- Kim, D. C. 1998. Analysis of Load Spectrum of Tractor Drive Line. Master’s thesis, Seoul National University, Seoul, Korea. (In Korean)
- Kim, D. J. 2004. Hydraulic Engineering. Bookshill, Seoul, Korea.
- KNOC. 2010. Council for International Petrol Price Professionals. Korea National Oil Corporation, Anyang, Korea.
- KSAM. 2009. Agricultural Machinery Yearbook in Republic of Korea. Korean Society for Agricultural Machinery, Suwon, Korea.
- Lee, D. E., I. G. Hwang, D. I. Jeon and S. S. Park. 2008. Development and optimization of the hybrid engine system model to improve the fuel economy. Transactions of the KSAE 16(6):65-73. (In Korean)
- MIFAFF. 2007. Number of Agricultural Machinety. Ministry for Food, Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries, Gwacheon, Korea.
- Nahmgung, M. J. 2001. Load Analysis of Driving Axles and Life Evaluation of Driving Gear of PTO on Tractors. Ph.D. Dissertation, Sungkyunkwan University, Suwon, Korea. (In Korean)
- Park, S. H., Y. J. Kim, D. H. Im, C. K. Kim, S. C. Jung, H. J. Kim, J. S. Lee and S. S. Kim. 2010. Characteristics of tractor PTO power and work loads. Journal of Biosystems Engineering 35(1):15-20. (In Korean) https://doi.org/10.5307/JBE.2010.35.1.015
- RDA. 2008. Symposium on the Energy Saving Technology and Diffusion for Low Carbon Green Growth. Rural Development Administration, Suwon, Korea.
- Ro, L. S., K. C. Jeong, K. H. Han and S. K. Lee. 2006. Designing control logic for reducing toxic exhaust gas in parallel HEV. Proceeding of the KSAE 2006 Spring Conference 9(3):1717-1722. (In Korean)
- Ryu, K. H. 2004. Tractor Engineering Principles. Munundang, Seoul, Korea.
- Seo, I. H., B. H. Cho, C. S. Kim, J. J. Oh, S. C. Cho, Y. G. Lee and K. D. Kim. 2007. Formation of working path and development of performance appraising technology for tractor unmanned tillage(3) -develop of a program and algorithm for tractor working path-. Proceedings of the KSAM 2007 Summer Conference 12(2):364-372. (In Korean)
- Analysis of Power Requirement of Agricultural Tractor during Baler Operation vol.36, pp.4, 2011, https://doi.org/10.5307/JBE.2011.36.4.243
- Pre-processing of load data of agricultural tractors during major field operations vol.42, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7744/cnujas.2015.42.1.053
- Required Mowing Power and Bale Density of Miscanthus × Giganteus for Field Biomass Harvesting using Different Methods vol.39, pp.4, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5307/JBE.2014.39.4.253
- Analysis of the PTO load of a 75kW agricultural tractor during rotary tillage and baler operation in Korean upland fields vol.60, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jterra.2015.06.002
- Load torque estimation for a parallel hybrid agricultural tractor in field operations vol.14, pp.10, 2013, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12541-013-0250-4
- Energy Efficiency Classification of Agricultural Tractors in Korea vol.37, pp.4, 2012, https://doi.org/10.5307/JBE.2012.37.4.215
- Effects of gear selection of an agricultural tractor on transmission and PTO load during rotary tillage vol.134, 2013, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.still.2013.07.013
- Evaluation of Tractor PTO Severeness during Rotary Tillage Operation vol.36, pp.3, 2011, https://doi.org/10.5307/JBE.2011.36.3.163
- Experimental Study on the Structural Safety of the Tractor Front-End Loader Against Impact Load vol.41, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5307/JBE.2016.41.3.153
- Fatigue Life Prediction of Crank-type Rotavator vol.40, pp.4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5307/JBE.2015.40.4.305
- Analysis of the effects of operating point of tractor engine on fatigue life of PTO gear using simulation vol.43, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7744/kjoas.20160047
- Analysis of the axle load of an agricultural tractor during plow tillage and harrowing vol.43, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7744/kjoas.20160087
- Analysis of the PTO Torque of a Transplanter by Planting Condition vol.41, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5307/JBE.2016.41.4.313
- Development of a hydraulic power transmission system for the 3-point hitch of 50-kW narrow tractors vol.43, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7744/kjoas.20160048
- FFT analysis of load data during field operations using a 75-kW agricultural tractor vol.40, pp.1, 2013, https://doi.org/10.7744/cnujas.2013.40.1.053