- Volume 23 Issue 1
물리치료사의 직무만족에 영향을 미치는 요인
Analysis of Factors that Influence the Job Satisfaction of Physical Therapists
- Shim, Jae-Hun (Department of Physical Therapy, Baekseok University) ;
- Yoon, Tae-Hyung (Department of Health Administration, Dongseo University)
- 투고 : 2010.07.15
- 심사 : 2011.01.26
- 발행 : 2011.02.25
Purpose: This study aimed to analyze factors that influence the job satisfaction of physical therapists working in hospitals. Methods: The study was done using a self-administered questionnaire associated with job satisfaction, which was completed by 352 physical therapists working in hospitals. Results: The average job satisfaction score was 3.16. Sub-items scores for job satisfaction were higher for overall satisfaction (3.21) and lower for job satisfaction of achievement (3.12) than the average score. Job satisfaction of subjects showed statistically significant differences with regard to differences in sex, marriage, type of hospital, year of total career, type of patients and motivation level (p<0.05). The average job stress score was 2.38. The sub-items of job stress consisted of problems pertaining to physical environment (2.28), job demand (2.54), job autonomy (2.31), social support (2.14), job instability (2.36), organized management system (2.44), inner motive (2.24), and job culture (2.26). Multiple regression analysis revealed that job satisfaction became significantly lower with increasing levels of job stress. Conclusion: These results suggest that the job stress of physical therapists is closely related to their job satisfaction. An effort to reduce job stress may be helpful in improving the health and quality of life of physical therapists who work in hospitals.
- Kim HS, You SY, Kim MJ et al. Direct care stress and job satisfaction in home care nurses. Korean Journal of Women Health Nursing. 2004;10(3):261-5.
- Park JS. The relationship of organizational and job characteristics, empowerment, job satisfaction and organizational commitment perceived by hospital administrative staffs. Korean Journal of Health Policy & Administration. 2004;14(1):65-88. https://doi.org/10.4332/KJHPA.2004.14.1.065
- Karasek R, Gardell B, Lindell J. Work and non-work correlates of illness and behaviour in male and female Swedish white collar workers. J Organ Behav. 1987;8(3):187-207. https://doi.org/10.1002/job.4030080302
- Park HS, Gang EH. A study on job stress and the coping of ICU nurses. J Korean Acad Nurs. 2007;37(5):810-21. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2007.37.5.810
- Ju HM. A study on job satisfaction and organizational commitment of the administrative staff in general hospital. Seoul National University. Dissertation of Master's Degree, 2001.
- Noh SM. Factors impacting on the psychosocial health status among hospital workers. Injae University. Dissertation of Master's Degree. 2001.
- Noh HK, Park HJ. A study on the burnout of physical therapists and its influencing factors. Korean Journal of Physical and Multiple Disabilities. 2008;51(1):117-45.
- Cho EJ. A survey on fatigue awareness amongst physical therapist at Andong city in the Kyung Sang Puck Do area. KAUTPT. 2000;7(1):79-90.
- Alutto JA, Parasuraman S. Sources and outcome of stress in organizational settings: toward the development of a structural. Acad Manage J. 1984;27(2):330-50. https://doi.org/10.2307/255928
- Lyons TF. Role clarity, need for clarity, satisfaction, tension and withdrawal. Organ Behav Hum Perform. 1971;6(1):99-110. https://doi.org/10.1016/0030-5073(71)90007-9
- Shim JH. A study on the effects of the social and psychological attributes of physical therapists on empowerment, job satisfaction and organizational commitment. Hanyang University. Dissertation of Doctorate degree. 2009.
- Ro HL. Relationship between job stress and self-esteem of physical therapists. J Kor Soc Phys Ther. 2010;22(1):83-90.
- Yang YA, Hur JG, Noh YM et al. The study of job stress in occupational therapist. Journal of the Ergonomics Society of Korea. 2007;26(3):1-9. https://doi.org/10.5143/JESK.2007.26.3.001
- Jeon BJ, Moon JI, Lee KS. The study on the sociological variable of rehabilitation therapist on work orientation: focusing on occupational therapist and physical therapist. The Journal of Korean Academy of Occupational Therapy. 2006;14(3):93-104.
- Laschinger HK, Havens DS. Staff nurse work empowerment and perceived control over nursing practice. J Nurs Adm. 1996;26(9):27-35. https://doi.org/10.1097/00005110-199609000-00007
- Chang SJ, Koh SB, Kang DM et al. Developing an occupational stress scale for Korean employees. Korean J Occup Environ Med. 2005;17(4):297-317.
- Lee SK. A study on the relationship between autonomy and group cohesiveness perceived by nurses and their job satisfaction, organizational commitment, motivation and intend to stat on jobs. Seoul National University. Dissertation of Master's Degree. 1996.
- Seo YJ, Kim JH. Job satisfaction and Organizational commitment of medical insurance review nurses. Korean Journal of Health Policy & Administration. 2001;11(1): 62-86.
- Kim SY. A study on the relationship between job satisfaction and head nurses' leadership style recognized by head nurses and staff nurses. Kyunghee University. Dissertation of Master's Degree. 1994.
- Lee KH, Jung BO. A study on the relationship between professional self-concept and job satisfaction of physical therapists.J Kor Soc Phys Ther. 2009;21(3):109-18.
- Hong MA. The relationship among demographical variables, career interest, and job satisfaction in physiotherapists. Myongji University. Dissertation of Master's Degree. 2002.
- Coward RT, Hogan TL, Duncan RP et al. Job satisfaction of nurses employed in rural and urban long-term care facilities. Res Nurs Health. 1995;18(3):271-84. https://doi.org/10.1002/nur.4770180310
- Seo DH. The professional self-concept and job satisfaction of psychiatric mental health nurses and general psychiatric nurses. Chonnam University. Dissertation of Master's Degree. 2002.
- Park JL, Chae YM, Jung SH. Analysis of influencing factors that influence on the job satisfaction of nurses involved in medical insurance reviews. Korean Journal of Health Policy & Administration. 2007;17(4):82-98. https://doi.org/10.4332/KJHPA.2007.17.4.082
- Lee SH. A study on work stress in nurses in medical insurance. Yonsei University. Dissertation of Master's Degree. 1998.
- Choi SH, Lee EJ, Park MJ. Relationship between work stress and job satisfaction experienced by nurses in medical insurance. J Korean Acad Funda Nurs. 2003;10(3):354-60.
- Kim SJ. A study on the degrees of work stress and burnout experienced by the nurses in medical insurance. Chunnam University. Dissertation of Master's Degree. 2002.
- Chang IA. A study on the job stress and coping behavior of the nurses examining medical insurance bill. Hanyang University. Dissertation of Master's Degree. 2000.
- Shin UK. Organizational behavior. Seoul, Dasan, 1991.