- Volume 31 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Effects of Whole Crop Barley Silage (WBS) Supplementation on Growth Performance and Meat Quality of Hanwoo Steers
총체보리사일리지 급여가 한우 거세우의 생산성 및 육질특성에 미치는 영향
- Kook, Kil ;
- Lee, Byung-Chul ;
- Kim, Won-Ho ;
- Jang, Ki-Young ;
- Back, Kwang-Su ;
- Moon, Seung-Ju ;
- Kim, Gwang-Hyun
- Received : 2010.09.06
- Accepted : 2011.01.27
- Published : 2011.02.28
This study was conducted to investigate the effect of feeding whole crop barley silage (WBS) on the growth performance, carcass grade, and beef quality of Hanwoo steers. Twelve Hanwoo steers (12-mon-old) were allocated into either a control (rice straw fed) or WBS (whole crop barley silage fed) group (six animals per group) and fed for 540 d until the animals reached 30-mon-old. Concentrates and roughage were fed according to the feeding stage phases; finisher I (12.16-monold), II (17.21-mon-old), and III (22.30-mon-old). A significant increase in growth was observed during the finisher I stage for the steer fed WBS, whereas a significant increase in growth occurred during the finisher II stage in the control group. The yield grade of the WBS group increased significantly with a 15.6% increase in the longissimus dorsi area and a 25.7% reduction in back fat thickness. Marbling scores improved 52.4% in the WBS group compared with the control group. A significant difference in treatments was observed for the proximate chemical composition of the crude fat content. The results regarding palatability traits in the WBS group showed a significant improvement in appearance. The results indicate that the WBS group had improved longissimus muscle and marbling scores on carcass grading compared to the control.
whole crop barley silage;growth performance;carcass grading characteristics;meat quality
- AOAC (2000) Official methods of analysis. 17th ed, Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Washington, DC, pp. 13-15.
- Armbruster, G., Nour, A. Y. M., Thonney, M. L., and Stouffer, J. R. (1983) Changes in cooking losses and sensory attributes of Angus and Holstein beef with increasing carcass weight, marbling score or longissimus ether extract. J. Food Sci. 48, 835-840. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1983.tb14911.x
- Bolsen, K. K., Berger, L. L. Conway, K. L., and Riley, J. G. (1976) Wheat, barley and corn silage for growing steers and lams. J. Anim. Sci. 42, 185-191.
- Cho, W. M., Cho, Y. M., Hong, S. K., Jeong, E. S., Lee, J. M., and Yoon, S. K. (200) Effects of feeding whole crop barley silage on growth performance, feed efficiency and meat quality in Hanwoo steers. J. Anim. Sci. Technol. 42, 181-188.
- Hwangbo, S., Choi, S. H., Kim, S. W., Kim, W. H., Son, D. S., and Jo, I. H. (2008) Effects of dietary concentrate levels based on whole-crop barley silage on growth and meat quality in growing korean black goats. J. Anim. Sci. Technol. 50, 527-534. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2008.50.4.527
- Kim, W. H. and Seo, S. (2006) Cultivation and utilization barley as the main winter crop in paddy field. Proceed. Kor. Grassl. Forage Sci. Conference. February, pp. 37-57.
- Lee, J. M. (1997) Study on the characteristics of Hanwoo by sex and market weight. Ph.D. thesis, Chungbuk National Univ., Cheongju, Korea.
- Lee, H. S., Kim, D. C., Beak, Y. K., Choung, C. C., and Choung, J. J. (1984) Feeding trial on whole barley crop Silage to growing cattle. J. Anim. Sci. Technol. 26, 396-400.
- Lepage, G. and Roy. C. C. (1986) Direct transesterification of all classes of lipid in a one-step reaction. J. Lipid Res. 27, 114-120.
- Mowat, D. M. and Slumskie, R. A. (1971) Barley silage, ground whole plant barley and corn silage for finishing beef cattle. Can. J. Anim. Sci. 51, 201-207. https://doi.org/10.4141/cjas71-027
- Moon, S. J., Kook, K., Kang, K. Y, Baek, K. S., Lee, W. S., Kim, W. H. and Kim, K. H. (2008) Effects of feeding of whole-crop barley silage on the reproductive characteristics for Hanwoo heifers and cows. Reprod. Dev. Biol. 33, 179-182.
- SAS (2004) SAS user's guide; Statistics. SAS for Windows, Version 9.1, SAS Institute Inc., Cary, NC, USA.
- White, T. W. and Reynolds, W. L. (1969) Various sources and levels of roughage in steer rations. J. Anim. Sci. 29, 705-710.
- 농림부 (2004) 축산물등급판정세부기준. 농림부고시 제2004-66호.
- 농림부 (2005) 식육의 부위별 등급별 및 종류별 구분방법. 농림부고시 제2005-50호.
- 농림수산식품부 (2009) 농림수산식품부 주요통계.
- 농촌진흥청 (2009) 조사료 자급률 향상을 위한 사료비 절감 특성화사업 지침서. p. 204.
- Effect of Mature Miscanthus sacchariflorus var. No. 1 on In Vitro Rumen Fermentation Characteristics and Its Dry Matter Digestibility vol.32, pp.2, 2012, https://doi.org/10.5333/KGFS.2012.32.2.165
- Effect of Different Forages on Growth Performance, Meat Production and Meat Quality of Hanwoo Steers : Meta-analysis vol.32, pp.2, 2012, https://doi.org/10.5333/KGFS.2012.32.2.175