- Volume 53 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Determination of Maintenance Energy Requirements for Growing Hanwoo Steers
육성기 거세한우의 유지에너지 요구량 결정에 관한 연구
- Seol, Yong-Joo ;
- Kim, Kyoung-Hoon ;
- Baek, Youl-Chang ;
- Lee, Sang-Cheol ;
- Ok, Ji-Un ;
- Lee, Kang-Yeon ;
- Hong, Seong-Koo ;
- Jang, Sun-Sik ;
- Choi, Chang-Weon ;
- Song, Man-Kang ;
- Lee, Sung-Sil ;
- Oh, Young-Kyoon
- Received : 2010.10.15
- Accepted : 2010.12.03
- Published : 2011.04.30
Present experiment was carried out to determine maintenance energy requirements for growing Hanwoo steers. Six Hanwoo steers (BW =
Maintenance energy;Energy balance;Energy requirement;Hanwoo
- A. O. A. C. 1990. Official Methods of Analysis. 15th ed. Association of Official Analytical Chemists. Washington, D. C.
- Balch, C. C. 1971. Proposal to use time spent for chewing as an index of the extent to which diets for ruminants prossess the physical property of fibrousness characteristics of roughages. Brit. J. Nutr. 26:383-392. https://doi.org/10.1079/BJN19710045
- Byers, F. M. 1982. Patterns and energetic efficiency of tissue growth in beef cattle of four brceds. In energy metabolism of farm animals (ed A. ekern and F. Sundstol), pp. 92-95. Agricultural University of Norway, Aas-NLH.
- Carstens, G. P., Johnson, D. E., Johnson, K. A., Hotovy, S. K. and Szymanski, T. J. 1989. Genetic variation in energy expenditures of monozygous twin beef cattle at 9 and 20 months of age. Energy Metab. Proc. Symp. 43:312-315.
- Chung, Y. H., Lee, S. C., Kang, S. W., Chung, C. S. and Chung, C.Y. 1992. Estimation of energy and protein requirements for Korean Native Heifers. I. Estimation of energy and protein requirements for Korean native heifer by metabolism trail. Korean. J. Anim. Sci. 34:293-300.
- Derno, M., Jentsch, W., Schweigel, M., Kuhla, S., Metges, C. C. and Matthes, H. D. 2005. Measurements of heat production for estimation of maintenance energy requirements of Hereford steers. J. Anim. Sci. 32:451-456.
- Duncan, D. B. 1955. Multiple range and multi F test. Biometrics. 11:1-42. https://doi.org/10.2307/3001478
- Feng, Y., Kim, W. Y., Kim, H. D., Kim, J. K. and Han In K. 1999. Studies on energy utilization of low-quality roughages in fattening holstein steers. Kor. J. Anim. Nutr. Feed. 23(5):401-410.
- Garrett, W. N. 1971. Energy efficiency of beef and dairy steers. J. Anim. Sci. 69:2168-2176.
- Kim, K. H., Oh, Y. G., Kim, W., Lee, S. C., Shin, K. J. and Jeon, B.T. 2004. Determination of energy requirement for maintenance in Hanwoo steers. J. Anim. Sci & Technol. (kor) 46(2):193-200. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2004.46.2.193
- Laurenz, J. C., Byers, F. M., Schelling, G. T. and Greene, L. W. 1991. Effects of season on the maintenance requirements of mature beef cows. J. Anim. Sci. 69:2168-2176. https://doi.org/10.2527/1991.6952168x
- Lee, S. C., Thak, T. Y., Kim, K. H. and Yoon, S. G. 2003.Metabolizable energy requirement of growing Hanwoo bulls for maintenance by energy equilibrium method. J. Anim. Sci. & Technol. (kor). 45:123-130. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2003.45.1.123
- Lofgreen, J. P. and Garrett, W. N. 1968. A system for expressing net energy requirements and feed values for growing and finishing beef cattle. J. Anim. Sci., 27:793-806. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1968.273793x
- National Institute of Animal Science, RDA. 2007. Korean Feeding Standard for Hanwoo.
- NRC. 1984. Nutrient Requirements of Domestic Animals. No. 4. Nutrient Requirements of Beef Cattle. Sixth Revised Ed. National Academy of Sciences-National Research Council. Washington, DC.
- NRC. 2000. Nutrient Requirements of Domestic Animals. No. 4. Nutrient Requirements of Beef Cattle. Sixth Revised Ed. National Academy of Sciences-National Research Council. Washington, DC.
- Orskov. E. R., Fracer, C. and Kay, R. N. B. 1969. Dietary factors influencing digestion of starch in the rumen and small and large intestine of early weaned lambs. Brit. J. Nutr. 23:2217-226.
- Osuji, P. O., Gordon, J. G. and Webster, A, J. F. 1975. Energy exchanges associated with eating and ruminantion in sheep given grass diets of different physical forms. Brit. J. Nutr. 34:59-71. https://doi.org/10.1017/1S0007114575000098
- SAS. 2002. SAS User’s Guide: Statistics, Version 9.1 Edition. SAS Inst., Inc., Cary, NC.
- Solis, J. C., Byers, F. M., Schelling, G. T., Long, C. R. and Green, L. W. 1988. Maintenance requirements and energetic efficiency of cows of dififerent breed. J. Anim. Sci. 66:764-773. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1988.663764x
- Taylor, C. S., Turner, H. G. and Young, G. B. 1981. Genetic control of equilibrium maintenance effciency in cattle. Anim. Prod. 33:179-194. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0003356100040617
- Thak, T. Y., Kang, T. H. and Kim, K. S. 1983. Studies on maintenance requirements of energy and protein for korean native cows by metabolism trials. Korean. J. Anim. Sci. 25(2):117-137.
- Vermorel, M., Bouvier, J. C. and Geay, Y. 1980. Energy utilization by growing calves: Effects of age, milk intake and feed level. Energy Metab. Proc. Symp 26:9-53.