- Volume 20 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
DNA Analysis of mtDNA COI Gene in the Sharp-toothed Eel (Muraenesox cinereus Forskal) from Yeosu, Jinhae, Jeju, Goseoung, Jangheung and Haenam Populations in Korea Using PCR-aided RFLP
- Oh, Taeg-Yun (Division of Fisheries Resources Research, NFRDI) ;
- Jeong, Sun-Beom (Division of Marine Technology, Chonnam National University) ;
- Cho, Eun-Seob (Southwest Fisheries Research Institute, NFRDI)
- Received : 2010.11.20
- Accepted : 2011.02.21
- Published : 2011.04.30
The production of the sharp-toothed eel by commercial catch off waters of Korea is annually declined after 1978. This study was carried out to obtain the stock management of the sharp-toothed eel using the PCR-aided RFLP method. The mtDNA COI gene was amplified using species-specific primers and PCR product was observed to 700 bp. Amplified DNA fragments were treated with six kinds of restriction enzymes (BaeHI, EcoRI, PstI, Ksp22, HinfI and HaeIII). The treatment of HaeIII showed a distinct PCR product between Yeosu/Jinhae/Jeju/Goseoung and Jangheung/Haenam populations that were observed from 300 to 400 bp in reference to 100 bp molecular marker. However, DNA fragment within populations had an identical pattern. The phylogenetic homology is 82% between two populations inferred from RFLP PCR product pattern using NTsysPC ver. 2.1. The use of HaeIII plays an important role in discriminating populations. It is thought that adults after over-wintering in the southern part of Jeju migrate to the Yeosu, Jinhae and Goseoung regions to spawn instead of to southwestern waters. Individuals within populations showed a relatively active genetic mixing and migration regardless of geography. However, the genetic ancestor of Jangheung and Haenam populations is appeared to be more adjacent to China or Japan than Jeju.
- Asahida, T., Kobayashi, T., Saitoh, K., Nakayama, I., 1996, Tissue preservation and total DNA extraction from fish stored at ambient temperature using buffers containing high concentration of urea, Fish. Sci., 62, 727-730. https://doi.org/10.2331/suisan.62.727
- Cho, E. S., Kim, J. I., 2006, Mitochondrial DNA polymorphism of the Japanese anchovy (Engraulis japnicus Temminck & Schlegel) collected from the Korean offshore and inshore waters, J. Life Sci., 16, 812-827. https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2006.16.5.812
- Chyung, M. K., 1977, The Fishes of Korea, Iijisa, Seoul, 727.
- Kang, Y. J., Jeon, B. S., Zhang, C. I., 1998, A study on the stock management of the sharp-toothed eel, Muraenesox cinereus (Forskal) in Korean waters III. Maturation and spawning, J. Kor. Soc. Fish. Res., 1, 18-24.
- Kim, M. J., Kang, Y. J., Park, C. S., 1998, A study on the stock management of the sharp-toothed eel, Muraenesox cinereus (Forskal) in Korean waters II. Age and growth, J. Kor. Soc. Fish. Res., 1, 11-17.
- NFRDA, 1988, Assessment of Fisheries Resources in Korean waters, 254.
- Oh, T. Y., Kim, J. I., Seo, Y. I., Cho, E. S., 2009, The population genetic structure of the Japanese anchovy (Engraulis japonicus Temminck & Schlegel) in the West, South and East Seas of Korea based on microsatellite DNA analysis, J. Life Sci., 19, 174-178. https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2009.19.2.174
- Park, C. S., Lee, D. W., Kang, Y. J., Kim, Y. S., Zhang, C. I., 1998, A study on the stock management of the sharp-toothed eel, Muraenesox cinereus (Forskal) in Korean waters I. districution patterns, J. Kor. Soc. Fish. Res., 1, 1-10.
- Zhang, C. I., Park, C. S., Sohn, M. H., 1998, A study on the stock management of the sharp-toothed eel, Muraenesox cinereus (Forskal) in Korean waters IV. Population ecological characteristics and biomass, J. Kor. Soc. Fish. Res., 1, 25-35.
- Kim, J. Y., Cho, E. S., Kim, W. J., 2004, Population genetic structure of Japanese anchovy (Engraulis japonicus) in Korean waters based on mitochondrial 12S ribosomal gene sequences, J. Life Sci., 14, 938-950. https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2004.14.6.938