- Volume 20 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
The Effects of Herb Aroma Components on the Reduction of Depression - Focused on University Students -
- Lee, Min-Hee (Department of Alternative Medicine, Graduate School, Kyonggi University) ;
- Koh, Jae-Won (Department of Police Administration, Youngdong University) ;
- ChoJo, Tae-Dong (Department of Environmental Landscape Architecture, Kangnung-Wonju National University)
- Received : 2011.01.04
- Accepted : 2011.03.15
- Published : 2011.04.30
In this study, to investigate the effects of herb aroma components, the BDI test was performed with the 124 students of the Youngdong University and the subjects whose score was 16 or higher were selected and allocated to the herb-extracted aroma-treated group and the non-treated group, 27 and 10 students for each group. The BDI and SDS tests were carried out at each stage (before and after the treatment, 10 days later and 30 days later). The result showed that the pre-treatment BDI test result was significantly different from all those of the post-treatment test, and the tests after 10 days and 30 days in the aroma-treated group. In the SDS test, the pre-treatment test result was significantly different from the results of the post-treatment test and the test after 10 days, while it was not significantly different from the result of the test after 30 days. Additionally, to verify whether the change within the group is larger than that by natural recovery or not, ANCOVA was performed with respect to the difference in the pre-treatment test score between the groups depending on whether the treatment was given or not, having the SDS pre-treatment score as the covariate, and the result showed that the post-treatment test scores were significantly different. Thus, it was verified that, if the SDS test score is considered as the depression indicator, the effect of aromatherapy was greater than the change by natural recovery. The difference in the post-treatment test score was analyzed depending on whether the treatment was given or not, having the BDI pre-treatment test score as the control variable, and the result showed that the post-treatment test scores were not significantly different. Based on such a theoretical verification, it is assumed that the nature-friendly treatment method using herb aroma components can be a great help in suppressing depression. Therefore, it is expected that herb aroma components can provide systematic therapeutic effect on the suppression of depression.
Herb;Aromatherapy;Depression;BDI(Beck Depression Inventory);SDS(Self-Rating Depression Scale)
- Beck, A. T., 1967, Depression, Clinical, experimental and theoretical aspects, New York, Harper and Row, 115.
- Blatt, S. J., Quinlan, D. M., 1976, Experiences of depression in normal young adults. Journal of Abnormal Psychology, 95, 383-389.
- Buchbauer, G., 1993, Fragrance compounds and essential oils with sedative effects upon inhalation. Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences, 82(6), 660-664. https://doi.org/10.1002/jps.2600820623
- Buckle, J., 1998, Which lavender oil. Nursing Times, 88(32), 54.
- Choi, M. H., Jo, T. D., Seo, J. G., 2010, Plants in therapeutic garden- The trend and prospect of the study on the therapeutic factors of contact with nature, Journal of Environmental Sciences (Korean), 19(4), 517-525. https://doi.org/10.5322/JES.2010.19.4.517
- Jo, T. D., 2008, Herb Aroma Life, Daewonsa, 26-27.
- Corio, C. J., 1993, Enhanoe quality of life with aromatherapy pamphlet.(Available from QLA, 800-688-8343)
- Dongailbo, July 19, 2003, Depression - Related with the Gene.
- Friedman, M., 1975, Type a behavior and your heart. Greenwich Conn. Fawcett Publications, Inc.
- Han, H. M., Yeom, T. H., Shin, Y. W., Kim G. H., Yun, D. J., Jeong, G. J., 1986, Standardization of Beck depression inventory for Koreans, Korean Journal of Neuropsychiatric Association, 25, 487-500.
- Hwang, C. S., 2006, Effects of aroma inhalation on the brain wave in meditation state, Master's Dissertation, Graduate School for Alternative Medicine at Kyonggi University.
- Joongangilbo, February 14, 2007, Society Section.
- Kauffman, J. M., Landrum, T. J., 2009, Characteristics of emotional and behavioral disorders of children and youth(9th ed), Upper Saddle River, NJ. Pearson Education.
- Kim, H. G., 2002, Recognition of depressive disposition and depression by university students investigated through BDI assessment, Student Life Study at Jeonnam National University Counselling Center, 34, 133-137.
- Klerman, G. I., Dimascio, A., Weissman, M., Prusoff, B., Paykel, E., 1974, Treatment of depression by drugs and psychotherapy, American Journal of Psychiatry, 131, 186-191. https://doi.org/10.1176/ajp.131.2.186
- Lacroix, N., 1999, The scented touch, Select Editions. Korean Journal Cosmetics Society, 6(1), 227-238.
- Lawless, J., 1997, The complete illustrated guide to aromatherapy, New York, Bames and Noble.
- Lee, Y. H., Song, J. Y., 1991, Journal of Korean Society of Psychology, 10(1), 98-113.
- Lennox, M., 1997, Aromatic mixer, Elderly Care, 9(1), 36.
- Mancuso(Eds.), Applications of Personal Construct Theory, New York.
- Mannuzza, S., Schneier, F. R., Chapman, T. F., Liebowitz, M. R., Klein, D. F., Fyer A. J., 1995, Generalized social phobia, Reliability and validity. Arch Gen Psychiatry, 52(3), 230-237. https://doi.org/10.1001/archpsyc.1995.03950150062011
- NIMH, 1999, Depression research at the national institute of mental health, NIMH Publication, No. 00-4501.
- Passant, H., 1990, A holistic approach in the ward Nursing Rimes, 86(4), 26-28.
- Perry, N., Perry, E., 2006, Aromatherapy in the management of psychiatric disorders, CNS Drugs, 20(4), 257-280. https://doi.org/10.2165/00023210-200620040-00001
- Relf, D., 1992, The Role of Horticulture in Human Well-being and Social Development, Timber Press inc.
- Seligman, M. E. P., 1975, Theory of planned behavior. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 49(3), 843-851.
- Tobin, P., 1995, Aromatherapy and its application in the management of people with dementia, Lamp, 52(5), 34.
- Zung, W. W. W., 1965, A self-rating depression scale, Archives of General Psychiatry, 16, 543-547.