- Volume 30 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Repellent Activity of the Extracts of Acorus Gramineus against Mosquito (Culex pipinens pallens)
석창포 추출물의 모기에 대한 기피활성
- Lee, Seung-Ho (Institute of Environmentally-friendly Agriculture, College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, Chonnam National University) ;
- Jung, Jin-Kwan (Youngil High School) ;
- Park, Sang-Hyun (Youngil High School) ;
- Kim, Mun-Sik (Youngil High School) ;
- Han, Yeon-Soo (Institute of Environmentally-friendly Agriculture, College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, Chonnam National University) ;
- Seo, Jung-Mi (Gwangju Advanced Institute of Health and Environment) ;
- Kim, In-Seon (Institute of Environmentally-friendly Agriculture, College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, Chonnam National University)
- 이승호 (전남대학교 농업생명과학대학 친환경농업연구소) ;
- 정진관 (영일고등학교) ;
- 박상현 (영일고등학교) ;
- 김문식 (영일고등학교) ;
- 한연수 (전남대학교 농업생명과학대학 친환경농업연구소) ;
- 서정미 (광주광역시 보건환경연구원) ;
- 김인선 (전남대학교 농업생명과학대학 친환경농업연구소)
- Received : 2011.02.08
- Accepted : 2011.03.16
- Published : 2011.03.31
BACKGROUND: Acorus gramineus is of medicinal plants that exhibit variable biological activities for human health and against insect pests. The extracts of A. gramineus was examined in an attempt to develop a natural repellent against human disease-mediating Culex pipiens. METHODS AND RESULTS: The roots of A. gramineus dried under dark conditions were homogenized and extracted with ethanol. The extracts were subjected to repellent activity assays against C. pipiens in a hand-made acrylamide box with three accessible rooms. Significantly low number of mosquitos was found in the room previously fumigated with the extracts at 50 mg/L on the filter paper, exhibiting less than 20% of mosquitos tested. More than 50% of mosquitos tested was found in the room without the extracts, but less than 30% was found in the room that released mosquitos. GC/MS analysis detected
Acorus gramineus;Asarone;Medicinal plant;Mosquito;Repellent
- Ansari, M.A., Vasudevan, P., Tandon, M., Razdan, R.K., 2000. Larvicidal and mosquito repellent action of peppermint (Mentha piperita) oil, Biores. Technol. 71, 267-271. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0960-8524(99)00079-6
- Cheng, S.S., Chang, H.T., Chang, S.T., Tsai, K.H., Chen, W.J. 2003. Bioactivity of selected plant essential oils against the yellow fever mosquito Aedes aegypti larvae, Biores. Technol. 89, 99-102. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0960-8524(03)00008-7
- Choi, J.K., Lee, J.H., Lee, J.H., Lee, S.G., Han, Y.S., Han, T.H., 2006. Eco-frendly control of Culex pipiens (mosquito) larvae by Acorus calamus (sweet flag) and Acorus gramineus (grassy-leaved sweet flag) extracts, Korean J. Plant Res. 19, 721-726.
- El Hag, E.A., El Nadi, A.H., Zaitoon, A.A., 1999. Toxic and growth retarding effects of three plant extracts on Culex pipiens larvae (Diptera: Culicidae), Phytother. Res. 13, 388-392. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1099-1573(199908/09)13:5<388::AID-PTR455>3.0.CO;2-U
- Feldman, R.J., Maibach, H.I., 1970. Absorption of some organic compounds through the skin in man, J. Invest. Dermatol. 54, 399-404. https://doi.org/10.1111/1523-1747.ep12259184
- Gillij, Y.G., Gleiser, R.M., Zygadlo, J.A., 2008. Mosquito repellent activity of essential oils of aromatic plants, Biores. Technol. 99, 2507-2515. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biortech.2007.04.066
- James, A.A., 1992. Mosquito molecular genetics: the hands that feed bite back, Science, 257, 37-38. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.1352413
- Kang, S.H., Kim, G.H., Kim, M.K., Seo, D.K., 2006. Insecticidal activity of essential oils against larvae of Culex pipiens pallens, Korean J. Pest. Sci. 10, 43-49.
- Lee, H.K., Park, C., Ahn, Y.J., 2002. Insecticidal activities of asarones identified in Acorus gramineus rhizome against Nilaparvata lugens (Homoptera: Delphacidae) and Plutella xylostella (Lepidoptera: Yponomeutoidae), Appl. Entomol. Zool. 37, 459-464. https://doi.org/10.1303/aez.2002.459
- Fradin, M.S., Day J.F., 2002. Comparative efficacy of insect repellents against mosquito bites, N. Eng. J. Med. 347, 13-18. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa011699
- Osimitz, T.G., Grothaus, R.H., 1995. The present safety assessment of DEET, Am. Mosq. Control Assoc. 11, 274-278.
- Oyedele, A.O., Gbolade, A.A., Sosan, M.B., Adewoyin, F.B., Soyelu, O.L., Orafidiya, O.O., 2002. Formulation of an effective mosquito-repellent topical product from lemongrass oil, Phytomedicine 9, 259-262. https://doi.org/10.1078/0944-7113-00120
- Park, C., Kim, S.I., Ahn, Y.J., 2003. Insecticidal activity of asarones identified in Acorus gramineus rhizome against three coleopteran stored-product insects, J. Stor. Products Res. 39, 333-342. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-474X(02)00027-9
- Pronczuk, J., Fogel, E., 1983. Toxicity of an insect repellent: N,N-dimethyl-m-toluamide (DEET), Vet. Hum. Toxicol. 25, 422-423.
- Qiu, H., McCall, J.W., Jun, H.W., 1998. Formulation of topical insect repellent N,N-dimethyl-m-toluamide (DEET): vehicle effects on DEET in vitro skin permeation, Int. J. Pharm. 163, 167-176. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0378-5173(97)00379-7
- Robins, P.J., Cherniack, M.G., 1986. Review of biodistribution and toxicity of the insect repellent N,Ndimethyl-m-toluamide (DEET), J. Toxicol. Environ. Health 18, 503-525. https://doi.org/10.1080/15287398609530891
- Sakulku, U., Nuchuchu, O., Uawongyart, N., Puttipipatkhachorn, S., Soottitanttawat, A., Ruktanonchai, U., 2009. Characterization and mosquito repellent activity of citronella oil nanoemulsion, Int. J. Pharm. 372, 105-111. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijpharm.2008.12.029
- Tang, W., Eisenbrand, G., 1992. Chinese Drugs of Plant Origin, Springer, New York.
- Taylor, W.G., Danielson, T.J., Spooner, R.W., Golsteyn, L.R., 1994. Pharmacokinetic assessment of the dermal absorption of N,N-diethyl-m-toluamide (DEET) in cattle, Drug Metab. Dispos. 22, 106-112.