- Volume 30 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Functional Evaluation of Small-scale Pond at Paddy Field as a Shelter for Mudfish during Midsummer Drainage Period
논 중간 낙수기에 미꾸라지 피난처로서 둠벙의 기능 평가
- Kim, Jae-Ok (Rural Research Institute Korea Rural Community Corporation) ;
- Shin, Hyun-Sang (Rural Research Institute Korea Rural Community Corporation) ;
- Yoo, Ji-Hyun (Rural Research Institute Korea Rural Community Corporation) ;
- Lee, Seung-Heon (Rural Research Institute Korea Rural Community Corporation) ;
- Jang, Kyu-Sang (Rural Research Institute Korea Rural Community Corporation) ;
- Kim, Bom-Chul (Department of Environmental Science, Kangwon National University)
- 김재옥 (한국농어촌공사 농어촌연구원) ;
- 신현상 (한국농어촌공사 농어촌연구원) ;
- 유지현 (한국농어촌공사 농어촌연구원) ;
- 이승헌 (한국농어촌공사 농어촌연구원) ;
- 장규상 (한국농어촌공사 농어촌연구원) ;
- 김범철 (강원대학교 환경과학과)
- Received : 2011.01.28
- Accepted : 2011.03.15
- Published : 2011.03.31
BACKGROUND: The purpose of this study was to evaluate ecological function of small-scale pond and movement characteristics of mudfish (Misgurnus mizolepis) during midsummer drainage period. METHODS AND RESULTS: In situ experiments were performed in the paddy field with mudfish under the condition of midsummer drainage from 13 July to 29 July 2010. The mudfish used in this experiment is approximately 1,000 individuals with a cut tail. Mudfishs were released in the rice field before midsummer drainage and caught again in the small-scale pond and the paddy field after midsummer drainage. Results showed that the abundance of mudfish was higher in drainage canal than small-scale pond at the early stage of midsummer drainage, because flow was formed toward the drainage canal. In that time, 3% of the total marked mudfish were captured at outlet of drainage canal. As the paddy was drying, 5% of total marked mudfish moved to the small-scale pond during midsummer drainage period. Contrary to the general hypothesis, the marked mudfish was not found in holes in paddy field.of total caught in the small-scale pond ingested mainly animal prey, and it's frequency of empcy stomach was 10%.oOn the other hand, all m total collected in the paddy field showed empcy stomach. It was apparent from the experiment that m total are eeldng normally in the small-scale pond, while m total are not eat properly in paddy field. CONCLUSION(s): As the paddy was drying, mudfish moved to the small-scale pond during midsummer drainage period but mudfish was not found in holes in paddy field. It can be concluded that small-scale provides a shelter and prey to mudfish in the midsummer drainage period.
Midsummer drainage;Mudfish;Shelter;Smallscale pond
- Akada, J., Aoyama, S., Yodo, T., Motoi, Y., Kashiwagi, M., 2005. A method for individual identification using variations in white linear abdominal markings in the cobitid fish Lefua echigonia, Jpn. J. Ichthyol. 52, 153-156.
- Cho, K.S., 1993. Illustration of the freshwater zooplankton of Korea, pp. 30-160, Academy Press, Seoul.
- Han, J.H., 2005. Prevention and treatment of fish disease, Fish Farming21 4, 78-89.
- Harding, J.S., Norton, D.A., McIntosh, A.R., 2007. Persistence of a significant population of rare Canterbury mudfish (Neochanna burrowsius) in a hydrologically isolated catchment, New Zeal. J. Mar. Fresh. 41, 309-316. https://doi.org/10.1080/00288330709509918
- Jung, M.R., 2010. A study of habitat environmental characteristics of mudfish inhabited in rice field, MS thesis, Korea National University of Education, Cheongwon, Korea.
- Katano, O., Hosoya, K., Iguchi, K., Aonuma, Y., 2001. Comparison of fish fauna among three types of rice fields in the Chikuma River basin, Jpn. J. Ichthyol. 48, 19-25.
- Kusuda, S., Noboru, K., 2009. Upstream-migrating loach in the fishway for a rice paddy, Fish Water 45, 19-22.
- Ko, M.H., Park, J.Y., Kim, S.H., 2009. Habitat environment and feeding habitat of Iksookimia koreensis and Cobitis lutheri (Pisces: Cobitidae) in the Mangyeong river, Korea, Korean J. Ichthyol. 21, 253-261.
- Lee, D.W., 2004. Ecological signification for landscape of tradition village, pp. 23-25, Seoul Nat. Univ. Press, Seoul.
- Mizuno, T., 1964. Illustration of the freshwater plankton of Japan, pp. 10-120, Hoikusha Press, Japan.
- Nakamura, T., Oda, N., 2003. Seasonal changes in fishes ascending a paddy field ditch in the Naka River system, central Japan, Jpn. J. Ichthyol. 50, 25-33.
- Nakamura, K., 2007. An introduction to paddy field eco-engineering for sustaining and restoring biodiversity in rural areas, pp. 51-56, Nongmunhyup Press, Japan.
- Nakatani, Y., Kudo, A., 2005. Studies on regeneration in fish : Fin regeneration in Medaka, Bio Ind. 22, 46-51.
- Nam, H.B., Kim, S.S, Park, H.G., 1997. Influence of midsummer drainage times on growth and lodging of rice plant in direct seeding on flooded paddy surface, Korean J. Crop Sci, 42, 722-728.
- Saitoh, K., Katano, O., Koizumi, A., 1988. Movement and spawning of several freshwater fishes in temporary waters around paddy fields, Jpn. J. Ecol. 38, 35-47.
- Suzuki, M., Misutani, M., Goto, A., 2000. New technology for consideration of rural environment. 4. Development of small-scale fishway for preserving ecosystem in paddy fields, J. Jpn. Soc. Irrigat. Drain. Reclamat. Eng. 68, 1263-1266.
- Yoon, I.B., 1995. Aquatic insects of Korea, pp. 174-179,Junghangsa Press, Seoul.
- An Experimental Approach to Secure Freshwater Fish Shelter according to the Water Level Fluctuations in a Shallow Pond vol.35, pp.9, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4491/KSEE.2013.35.9.666
- Using stable isotopes to investigate movement of fish in rice paddy fields vol.7, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1007/s40071-015-0105-y
- Benthic macroinvertebrate biodiversity improved with irrigation ponds linked to a rice paddy field vol.46, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1111/1748-5967.12150
- Response of carabid beetles to wetland creation in an intensive agricultural landscape vol.84, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecoleng.2015.07.014
- Variation in Population Size of Mudfish by Agricultural Practices in Paddy Fields vol.32, pp.1, 2013, https://doi.org/10.5338/KJEA.2013.32.1.24
- Characteristics Communities Structure of Benthic Macroinvertebrates at Irrigation Ponds, within Paddy Field vol.32, pp.4, 2013, https://doi.org/10.5338/KJEA.2013.32.4.304
- Influence of Farming Practices on Weight-Length Relationship of the Loach (Misgurnus anguillicaudatus) Population in Rice Paddy Fields vol.35, pp.4, 2017, https://doi.org/10.11626/KJEB.2017.35.4.446
- Determinations of Shorebirds Diets during Spring Migration Stopovers in Korean Rice Fields vol.35, pp.4, 2017, https://doi.org/10.11626/KJEB.2017.35.4.452
- Monthly Change of the Length-weight Relationship of the Loach (Misgurnus anguillicaudatus) Population in Paddy Fields by Farming Practices vol.36, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.11626/KJEB.2018.36.1.001