- Volume 14 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Comparison between wind load by wind tunnel test and in-site measurement of long-span spatial structure
- Liu, Hui (Hubei Key Laboratory of Roadway Bridge and Structure Engineering, Wuhan University of Technology) ;
- Qu, Wei-Lian (Hubei Key Laboratory of Roadway Bridge and Structure Engineering, Wuhan University of Technology) ;
- Li, Qiu-Sheng (Department of Building and Construction, City University of Hong Kong)
- Received : 2009.11.18
- Accepted : 2010.12.21
- Published : 2011.07.25
The full-scale measurements are compared with the wind tunnel test results for the long-span roof latticed spatial structure of Shenzhen Citizen Center. A direct comparison of model testing results to full-scale measurements is always desirable, not only in validating the experimental data and methods but also in providing better understanding of the physics such as Reynolds numbers and scale effects. Since the quantity and location of full-scale measurements points are different from those of the wind tunnel tests taps, the weighted proper orthogonal decomposition technique is applied to the wind pressure data obtained from the wind tunnel tests to generate a time history of wind load vector, then loads acted on all the internal nodes are obtained by interpolation technique. The nodal mean wind pressure coefficients, root-mean-square of wind pressure coefficients and wind pressure power spectrum are also calculated. The time and frequency domain characteristics of full-scale measurements wind load are analyzed based on filtered data-acquisitions. In the analysis, special attention is paid to the distributions of the mean wind pressure coefficients of center part of Shenzhen Citizen Center long-span roof spatial latticed structure. Furthermore, a brief discussion about difference between the wind pressure power spectrum from the wind tunnel experiments and that from the full-scale in-site measurements is compared. The result is important fundament of wind-induced dynamic response of long-span spatial latticed structures.
- Armitt, J. (1968), "Eigenvector analysis of pressure fluctuations on the West Burton instrumented cooling tower", Internal Report RD/L/N/ 114/68, Central Electricity Research Laboratories (UK).
- Best, R.J. and Holmes, J.D. (1983), "Use of eigenvalues in the covariance integration method for determination of wind load effects", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 13(1-3), 359-370. https://doi.org/10.1016/0167-6105(83)90156-3
- Biagini, P., Borri, C. and Facchini, L. (2007), "Wind response of large roofs of stadions and arena", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 95(9-11), 871-887. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jweia.2007.01.025
- Biagini, P., Borri C., Majowiecki, M., Orlando, M. and Procino, L. (2006), "BLWT tests and design loads on the roof of the new Olympic stadium in Piraeus", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 94(5), 293-307. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jweia.2006.01.016
- Bienkiewicz, B., Tamura, Y., Ham, H.J., Ueda, H. and Hibi, K. (1995), "Proper orthogonal decomposition and reconstruction of the multi-channel roof pressure", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 54-55, 369-381. https://doi.org/10.1016/0167-6105(94)00066-M
- Chen, L. and Letchford, C.W. (2006), "Multi-scale correlation analyses of two lateral profiles of full-scale downburst wind speeds", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 94(9), 675-696. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jweia.2006.01.021
- Davenport, A.G. (1995), "How can we simplify and generalize wind loads?", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 54-55, 657-669. https://doi.org/10.1016/0167-6105(94)00079-S
- Endo, M., Bienkiewicz, B. and Ham, H.J. (2006), "Wind-tunnel investigation of point pressure on TTU test building", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 94(7), 553-578. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jweia.2006.01.019
- Fu, J.Y. and Li, Q.S. (2007), "Wind effects on the world's longest spatial latticed structure: loading characteristics and numerical prediction", J. Constr. Steel Res., 63(10), 1341-1350. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2006.12.001
- GB50009-2001.(2002), Load code for the design of building structures, China Architecture & Building Press, Bei Jing (in Chinese).
- Holmes, J.D. (2001) , "Wind loading of structures", E & FN Spon, London.
- Holmes, J.D., Denoon, R.O., Kwok, K.C.S. and Glanville, M.J. (1997), "Wind loading and response of large stadium roofs", Proceedings of the IASS International Symposium '97 on Shell and Spatial Structures, Singapore, November.
- Jeary, A.P. (1997), "Designer's guide to the dynamic response of structures", E & FN Spon, London.
- Jeong, S.H., Bienkiewicz, B. and Ham, H.J. (2000), "Proper orthogonal decomposition of building wind pressure specified at non-uniformly distributed pressure taps", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 87(1), 1-14. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0167-6105(00)00012-X
- Levitan, M.L. and Mehta, K.C. (1992), "Texas tech field experiments for wind loads", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 43(1-3), 1565-1588. https://doi.org/10.1016/0167-6105(92)90372-H
- Li, Q.S., Fang, J.Q., Jeary, A.P. and Wong, C.K. (1998), "Full scale measurements of wind effects on tall buildings", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 74-76, 741-750. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0167-6105(98)00067-1
- Li, Q.S., Fang, J.Q., Liu, D.K., Jeary, A.P. and Wong, C.K. (2000), "Evaluation of wind effects on a super tall building based on full scale measurements", Earthq. Eng. Struct. D., 29(12), 1845-1862. https://doi.org/10.1002/1096-9845(200012)29:12<1845::AID-EQE995>3.0.CO;2-Q
- Li, Q.S. and Melbourne, W.H. (1996), "Pressure fluctuations on the Texas Tech Building model in various turbulent flows", Proceedings of the Bluff Body Aerodynamics and Application, AIX9-AIX12, Blacksburg, July.
- Li, Q.S., Xiao, Y.Q., Fu, J.Y. and Li, Z.N. (2007), "Full-scale measurements of wind effects on the Jin Mao building", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 95(6), 445-466. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jweia.2006.09.002
- Li, Q.S., Xiao, Y.Q., Wong, C.K. and Jeary, A.P. (2004), "Field measurements of typhoon on a super tall building", Eng. Struct., 26(2), 233-244. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2003.09.013
- Melbourne, W.H. (1995), "The response of large roofs to wind action", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 54-55, 325-336. https://doi.org/10.1016/0167-6105(94)00053-G
- Qu, W.L., Teng, J. Xiang, H.F., Zhong, L., Liu, H. Wang, J. and Li, G.B. (2006), "Intelligent health monitoring for roof space truss structures of the Shenzhen civic center under wind load", J. Building Struct., 27(1), 1-8 (in Chinese).
- Rocha, M.M., Cabral, S.V.S. and Riera, J.D. (2000), "A comparison of proper orthogonal decomposition and onte Carlo simulation of wind pressure data", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 84(3), 329-344. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0167-6105(99)00112-9
- Stathopoulos, T., Marathe, R. and Wu, H. (1999), "Mean wind pressures on flat roof corners affected by parapets: filed and wind tunnel studies", Eng. Struct., 21(7), 629-638. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0141-0296(98)00011-X
- Tamura, Y., Ueda, H., Kikuchi, H., Hibi K., Suganuma. S. and Bienkiewicz, B.(1995), "Proper orthogonal decomposition study of approach wind-building pressure correlation", Proceedings of the 9th nternational Comparison between Wind Load by Wind Tunnel Test and 19 Conference on Wind Engineering, New Delhi, India, January.
- Tubino, F. and Solari, G. (2007), "Gust buffeting of long span bridges: double modal transformation and effective turbulence", Eng. Struct., 29(8), 1698-1707. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2006.09.019
- Zhao, J.G. and Lam, K.M. (2002), "Characteristics of wind pressures on large cantilevered roofs: effect of roof inclination", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 90(12-15), 1867-1880. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0167-6105(02)00294-5
- Vibrations of an aramid anchor cable subjected to turbulent wind vol.72, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.advengsoft.2013.08.004
- Wind effects on a cable-suspended roof: Full-scale measurements and wind tunnel based predictions vol.155, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jweia.2016.06.006
- Self-Diagnosing and Warning System of Wind-Induced Damage for Large-Span Spatial Steel Structure vol.971-973, pp.1662-8985, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4028/www.scientific.net/AMR.971-973.911