- Volume 14 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Identification of flutter derivatives from full-scale ambient vibration measurements of the Clifton Suspension Bridge
- Nikitas, Nikolaos (Department of Civil Engineering, University of Bristol) ;
- Macdonald, John H.G. (Department of Civil Engineering, University of Bristol) ;
- Jakobsen, Jasna B. (Department of Mechanical and Structural Engineering and Material Science, University of Stavanger)
- Received : 2010.06.21
- Accepted : 2010.12.01
- Published : 2011.05.25
The estimated response of large-scale engineering structures to severe wind loads is prone to modelling uncertainties that can only ultimately be assessed by full-scale testing. To this end ambient vibration data from full-scale monitoring of the historic Clifton Suspension Bridge has been analysed using a combination of a frequency domain system identification method and a more elaborate stochastic identification technique. There is evidence of incipient coupling action between the first vertical and torsional modes in strong winds, providing unique full-scale data and making this an interesting case study. Flutter derivative estimation, which has rarely previously been attempted on full-scale data, was performed to provide deeper insight into the bridge aerodynamic behaviour, identifying trends towards flutter at higher wind speeds. It is shown that, as for other early suspension bridges with bluff cross-sections, single-degree-of-freedom flutter could potentially occur at wind speeds somewhat below requirements for modern designs. The analysis also demonstrates the viability of system identification techniques for extracting valuable results from full-scale data.
- Barlow, W.H. (1867), "Description of the Clifton Suspension Bridge", P. I. Civil Eng. Bridge Eng., 156(1), 5-10.
- Bietry, J., Delaunay, D. and Conti, E. (1995), "Comparison of full-scale measurements and computation of wind effects on a cable-stayed bridge", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 57(2-3), 225-235. https://doi.org/10.1016/0167-6105(94)00110-Y
- Billah, K.Y. and Scanlan, R.H. (1990), "Resonance, Tacoma Narrows bridge failure, and undergraduate physics textbooks", Am. J. Phys., 59(2), 118-124.
- British Standards Institution (2009), "Published Document: Background information to the National Annex to BS EN 1991-1-4 and additional guidance", BS PD 6688-1-4:2009.
- Brownjohn, J.M.W. (1994), "Estimation of damping in suspension bridges", P. I. Civil Eng. Str.B., 104, 401-415.
- Brownjohn, J.M.W., Magalhaes, F., Caetano, E. and Cunha A. (2010), "Ambient vibration retesting and operational modal analysis of the Humber Bridge", Eng. Struct., 32(8), 2003-2018. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2010.02.034
- Chen, X. (2007), "Improved understanding of bimodal coupled bridge flutter based on closedform solutions", J. Struct. Eng-ASCE, 133(1), 22-31. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2007)133:1(22)
- Costa, C. and Borri, C. (2007), "Full-scale identification of aeroelastic parameters of bridges", Proceedings of the 12th Int. Conf. Wind Eng., Cairns, Australia.
- Farquharson, F.B., Smith, F.C. and Vincent, G.S. (1950-1954), Aerodynamic stability of suspension bridges with special reference to the Tacoma Narrows Bridge (five parts), Engineering Experiment Station, University of Washington, USA.
- Ge, Y.J. and Tanaka, H. (2002), "Aerodynamics of long-span bridges under erection", J. Struct. Eng., 126, 1404-1412.
- Hoen, C. (2006) "Subspace identification of modal coordinate time series", Proceedings of the 24th Int. Modal Anal.Conf., IMAC XXIV, St.Louis, USA.
- Jakobsen, J.B. and Hjorth-Hansen, E. (1995), "Determination of the aerodynamic derivatives by a system identification method ", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 57(2-3), 295-305. https://doi.org/10.1016/0167-6105(95)00006-D
- Jakobsen, J.B. and Larose, G.L. (1999), "Estimation of aerodynamic derivatives from ambient vibration data", Proceedings of the 10th Int. Conf. Wind Eng.
- Jakobsen, J.B., Savage, M.G. and Larose, G.L. (2003), "Aerodynamic derivatives from the buffeting response of a flat plate model with stabilizing winglets", Proceedings of the 11th Int. Conf. Wind Eng., Lubbock, Texas.
- Jensen, J.L., Larsen, A., Andersen, J.E. and Vejrum, T. (1999), "Estimation of structural damping of Great Belt suspension bridge", Proceedings of the 4th Euro. Conf. Struct. Dyn. (Eurodyn '99), Prague.
- Jones, N.P., Scanlan, R.H., Sarkar, P.P. and Singh, L. (1995), "The effect of section model details on aeroelastic parameters", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 54-55, 45-53. https://doi.org/10.1016/0167-6105(94)00028-C
- Juang, J.N. and Pappa, R.S (1985), "An eigensystem realization algorithm for modal parameter identification and model reduction", J. Guid. Control Dynam., 8(5), 620?627. https://doi.org/10.2514/3.20031
- Kumarasena, T., Scanlan, R.H. and Morris G.R. (1989), "Deer Isle: Efficacy of stiffening system", J. Struct. Eng-ASCE, 115(9), 2297-2312. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1989)115:9(2297)
- Kumarasena, T., Scanlan, R.H. and Morris G.R. (1989), "Deer Isle: Field and computed vibrations", J. Struct. Eng-ASCE, 115(9), 2313-2328. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(1989)115:9(2313)
- Littler, J.D. (1992), "Ambient vibration tests on long span suspension bridges", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 42(1-3), 1359-1370. https://doi.org/10.1016/0167-6105(92)90144-Y
- Macdonald, J.H.G. (2003), "Evaluation of buffeting predictions of a cable-stayed bridge from fullscale measurements", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 91(12-15), 1465-1483. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jweia.2003.09.009
- Macdonald, J.H.G. and Daniell, W.E. (2005), "Variation of modal parameters of a cable-stayed bridge identified from ambient vibration measurements and FE modelling", Eng. Struct., 27(13), 1916-1930. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2005.06.007
- Macdonald, J.H.G. (2008), "Pedestrian-induced vibrations of the Clifton Suspension Bridge, UK", P. I. Civil Eng. Bridge Eng., 161(2), 69-77.
- Matsumoto, M., Koboyashi, Y. and Shirato, H. (1996), "The influence of aerodynamic derivatives on flutter", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 60, 227-239. https://doi.org/10.1016/0167-6105(96)00036-0
- Matsumoto, M., Nakajima, N., Taniwaki, Y. and Shijo, R. (2001), "Grating effect on flutter instability", J. Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 89(14-15), 1487-1498. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0167-6105(01)00143-X
- Nagayama, T., Abe, M., Fujino, Y. and Ikeda, K. (2005), "Structural identification of a nonproportionally damped system and its application to a full-scale suspension bridge", J. Struct. Eng-ASCE, 131(10), 1536-1545. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2005)131:10(1536)
- Peeters, B. and De Roeck, G. (1999), "Reference-based stochastic subspace identification for output-only modal analysis", Mech. Sys. Signal Pr., 13 (6), 855-878. https://doi.org/10.1006/mssp.1999.1249
- Qin, X.R and Gu, M. (2004), "Determination of flutter derivatives by stochastic subspace identification technique", Wind Struct., 7(3), 173-186. https://doi.org/10.12989/was.2004.7.3.173
- Scanlan, R.H. and Tomko, J.J. (1971), "Airfoil and bridge flutter derivatives", J. Eng. Mech. Div-ASCE, 97(6), 1717-1737.
- Scanlan, R.H., Jones, N.P. and Singh, L. (1997), "Inter-relations among flutter derivatives", J.Wind Eng. Ind. Aerod., 69-71, 829-837. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0167-6105(97)00209-2
- Selberg, A. (1963), "Aerodynamic effects on suspension bridges", Int. Conf. Wind Eff. Build. Struct., Vol. 2, 462-479.
- Siringoringo, D.M and Fujino, Y. (2008), "System identification of suspension bridge from ambient vibration response", Eng. Struct., 30(2), 462-477. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2007.03.004
- Briefing: Current trends in engineering mechanics: structural dynamics vol.165, pp.2, 2012, https://doi.org/10.1680/eacm.11.00019
- Investigation of Turbulence Effects on the Aeroelastic Properties of a Truss Bridge Deck Section 2017, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eng.2017.10.001
- Flutter and galloping of cable-supported bridges with porous wind barriers vol.171, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jweia.2017.10.012
- Identification of aeroelastic forces and static drag coefficients of a twin cable bridge stay from full-scale ambient vibration measurements vol.124, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jweia.2013.10.009
- Rapid deployment of a WSN on the Clifton Suspension Bridge, UK vol.170, pp.3, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1680/jsmic.17.00014
- Analysis on running safety of train on bridge with wind barriers subjected to cross wind vol.17, pp.2, 2013, https://doi.org/10.12989/was.2013.17.2.203
- Analysis on running safety of train on the bridge considering sudden change of wind load caused by wind barriers 2018, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11709-017-0455-1